Author Topic: Source for cheap Wii games?  (Read 7710 times)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
Source for cheap Wii games?
« on: December 30, 2014, 10:21:54 AM »
We have a Wii and about 5 games, mostly gifts.  I'd like to get some more while they are apparently cheap (and still exist given Wii U).  I've looked on craigslist, but everyone seems to be selling the Wii itself plus the games and I don't need the Wii.  (Nor do I want "1202 games" as one person advertised...)

Any tips?  There are no yard sales in my area until summer, and I'd worry about buying duds there anyways (although I'll still check them out - I'm just cautious).  Gamestop seems to have fairly high prices for used games imho.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Re: Source for cheap Wii games?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 10:29:43 AM »
Goodwill often has them.  Especially in January/February after people get rid of them when they upgrade.  You could also try to call the CL people and ask to buy games not the console.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:37:53 AM »
Thanks, I'll check that out.  Yeah, my thought was to snap them up now when folks were upgrading.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 11:06:41 AM »
You could also considering buying the wii+games from CL then reselling the wii and any of the games you don't want.  Depending on if it's a good price, might come out cheaper than buying individual games from elsewhere.

Also, depending on your thoughts on the morality/legality of it, you can mod your wii and download roms easily/free.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »
Given the sheer number of wii units for sale, it seems to be pretty tough market for selling them, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for good deals.  I admit I do have some issues with downloading games (I have a masters in bioethics, so I've thought about these type of situations a bit).

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
The GameStops where I live are constantly doing bogo on Wii games and many of them are dirt cheap. For whatever reason though, first-party Wii games hold their value pretty well, so Mario and Zelda will remain pricey.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 11:46:46 AM »
For whatever reason though, first-party Wii games hold their value pretty well, so Mario and Zelda will remain pricey.

Yea I took a few extra games to gamestop a few months back.  The PS3 games fetched $1.50 and Mario Cart Wii $15 iirc.  Very weird.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 11:57:14 AM »
The Best Buys around here sell used games They're more than they would be at a yard sale, but most are decently priced (and they come with a return policy if they're defective). They also have a bin of cheap games, like $4.99 or less. Most aren't great, but you can find some decent ones in there if you're willing to dig.

I also buy from SecondSpin.com. Their regular prices are okay, but they frequently run good sales/shipping deals, just check the banner at the top of their page to find the current deal and the necessary code. They sell used games and they guarantee them to work.

And +1 to Gamestop and Goodwill. Also, Salvation Army stores. Target will also sometimes run good sales like buy 2 get one free (which can come in handy if you're looking for pricier/newer titles), or gift cards with purchase. 

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »
For whatever reason though, first-party Wii games hold their value pretty well, so Mario and Zelda will remain pricey.

Yea I took a few extra games to gamestop a few months back.  The PS3 games fetched $1.50 and Mario Cart Wii $15 iirc.  Very weird.

Yes - I saw Zelda for $50 used at Game Stop and thought it ridiculous.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 01:12:43 PM »

Yes - I saw Zelda for $50 used at Game Stop and thought it ridiculous.
Good games hold their value.  I paid $49.99 for The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker on Gamecube the day it was released in 2003, and sold it last year on eBay for $54.  I bought Mario Kart 64 around 2001 for $25 used, and today it's worth about that.

Forgettable old crap games though end up in the dollar bin at GameStop, and the sports games end up in the 2/$1 bin.

If you only buy older used games, the value is pretty much stagnant.  I'd be surprised if Mario Kart Wii was for sale in 10 years for less than $15.  Also, it's excellent, and a good buy at $15.  I'm honestly surprised it's not more.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 01:15:09 PM »
I'd be surprised if Mario Kart Wii was for sale in 10 years for less than $15.  Also, it's excellent, and a good buy at $15.  I'm honestly surprised it's not more.

They gave me $15 for it, they were probably charging $60 ;-)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 01:40:13 PM »
Ebay.

Also, Amazon. I just ordered Zelda: Twilight Princess for $20 for our new WiiU (which is great).

Also, try Nintendo online for refurb controllers if you need any. $25 for a Wiimote + nunchuk.

Having 'fun' with Super Mario 3d World. Holding on for.... Xenoblade X! Wooo.

InternationalStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 05:53:19 PM »
A few tips:

Monitor the Cheapassgamer.com forums, single best reference for game deals on the web.

Consult Metacritic's list of all lifetime Wii game rankings and sort by rating--there's a pile of solid games on the Wii but also a ton of complete crap--Metacritic's lifetime system ratings are the single fastest way to avoid buying duds. Expect to generally pay more for the quality titles, which tend to hold their value better (surprise).

Best sources for bargains are generally eBay, Amazon, GameStop (especially with coupons/member discounts), Gamefly (they have monthly sales; one is on now), and BestBuy (especially if you have Gamer Club Unlocked, 2 year memberships of which are often on sale for $30).

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »
Consult Metacritic's list of all lifetime Wii game rankings and sort by rating

Thanks for that tip, there are a few I hadn't heard of.  I previously have been looking at 'top 25 wii games' type lists and have run out of games to play.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 08:40:17 PM »
I always got my games either from eBay or on deep discount at Gamestop.  If you buy the games missing manuals and cases, you can get really good deals.  Just make sure you examine the discs to ensure they aren't all scratched to hell.

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »
If you have some computer skills and possess a certain moral flexibility, google Wii Flow.  I **know of others** who have used this and with an attached external hard drive you can backup games to the hard drive in a couple of minutes.  This is a great way to insure the playability of your games since the kids won't scratch up the discs by having to insert and remove the discs every time they want to switch games.

Also, some libraries have Wii games that you can check out.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 09:41:43 PM »
Look into the virtual console games. They make the classic older games available and they aren't ungodly expensive.

Another strategy for gaming is to read reviews on each game. I do this using IGN so I know beforehand that I'm going to get a LOT of time and fun out of one game, even if it's expensive.

Bottom line is Nintendo games are going to hold their value pretty well. I'm always going to be a Nintendo fan. The games they make are always so nostalgic, entertaining, and fun for a wide audience. They always stress innovation and the executives are willing to take pay cuts in tough times. So don't feel sick about spending money on the occasional top shelf game -  it's a fantastic company.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!