Author Topic: Someone wanna Geek out and find me an alarm clock?  (Read 2602 times)

fpjeepy

• Stubble
Someone wanna Geek out and find me an alarm clock?
« on: October 01, 2018, 07:10:20 PM »
Basically, I want an alarm clock that does everything my iPhone does... but not on my phone. More specifically, I want an alarm at 6:20, 6:23, and 6:25 on weekdays and 7:45 and 9:45 on weekends. Other than that just the cheapest option. It would be cool if it had battery backup so I didn't have to reprogram everytime the power goes out.

The main reason being I don't want to sleep with my phone, because I spend too much time on it as it is.

JustInStarting

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Someone wanna Geek out and find me an alarm clock?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 08:19:09 PM »
Can you either turn off data (if you tend to use the phone for browsing) or just turn on the airplane mode (if you tend to text) and use  the phone's alarm?

I know it doesn't take even a minute to turn it on, but I've found that just turning off the router stops me from using my iPad when I go to bed.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 06:26:26 AM »
A really really cheap old cell phone would do this. Maybe you already have an old phone lying around, or someone you know does? People often ditch their phones when more complex functions start to lag/suffer, long before the alarm would start to have trouble.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 10:13:19 AM »
Can you either turn off data (if you tend to use the phone for browsing) or just turn on the airplane mode (if you tend to text) and use  the phone's alarm?

I know it doesn't take even a minute to turn it on, but I've found that just turning off the router stops me from using my iPad when I go to bed.

I'm guessing the OP wants to keep their phone in a different room. If it's on the nightstand it's too tempting to just pick it up and take a look.  Too easy to turn airplane mode off.
Out of sight, out of mind.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 10:51:53 AM »
The main reason being I don't want to sleep with my phone, because I spend too much time on it as it is.

If you're on an iPhone that supports iOS 12, have you tried the "Downtime" feature in Screen Time?  It more or less disables most of your phone at night, and requires additional effort to use apps.  I've found this is enough to deter 3AM "Oh, I should just check..." type pickups.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »
Weird timing of this question. I made it my September goal to keep the phone out of my bedroom to break the bad habit of having the phone be the first thing I reach for in the morning and the last thing I touch at night. It's been awesome.

I still have an old am/fm alarm clock from the late 80's that I just started using again. It's annoying to reset the wake up time between normal workday and work from home day but it takes at most 15 seconds, which is way less time than I'd spend fiddling with the phone while laying in bed. I don't feel the need to spend money on anything fancier.

SynestheticSymphony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 11:26:01 AM »
I actually ended up with the perfect device for this: My old Android phone that has something wrong with the Wi-Fi chipset or driver.

A few points of interest:
  • With airplane mode on and nearly no usage, it will last a solid month between charges
  • Using a USB connection, I was able to load a calming classical piece for my morning alarm (2nd movement of Beethoven's 2nd, for those who care)
  • Since it can't connect to anything, it is completely uninteresting and offers no temptation whatsoever.
  • I just leave it on the opposite side of the room from the bed. Once it starts playing the alarm, I have about a minute to get out of bed before the tune gets loud enough to wake up my wife.

It is seriously the best and most advanced alarm clock I have ever used.

fpjeepy

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
I actually ended up with the perfect device for this: My old Android phone that has something wrong with the Wi-Fi chipset or driver.

A few points of interest:
  • With airplane mode on and nearly no usage, it will last a solid month between charges
  • Using a USB connection, I was able to load a calming classical piece for my morning alarm (2nd movement of Beethoven's 2nd, for those who care)
  • Since it can't connect to anything, it is completely uninteresting and offers no temptation whatsoever.
  • I just leave it on the opposite side of the room from the bed. Once it starts playing the alarm, I have about a minute to get out of bed before the tune gets loud enough to wake up my wife.

It is seriously the best and most advanced alarm clock I have ever used.

Okay, you convinced me. I'll try it.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Simulation-Headspace-Subscription-HF3520/dp/B0093162RM

you can find used ones on ebay for less.

i find that the gradual increase in light makes for a gentle wake up that greatly improves my mood in the morning.  it's highly configurable.