Author Topic: Solo 401(k) - post retirement  (Read 3249 times)

grignaak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Solo 401(k) - post retirement
« on: May 27, 2014, 08:48:14 PM »
I just had a thought - and wondered if it was novel, prudent, or even feasible.

Let us say my wife and I do some post-retirement work, like MMM seems to do. For the sake of example, let's limit this to 25000 USD per annum. It appears to me that I could contribute this all to some Solo 401(k)s to eliminate tax on wages, and live off our investment returns which would basically be taxed at 0%.

In addition to skipping out on 500 USD of taxes, it puts more funds into tax-sheltered accounts.

Thoughts?

Emg03063

• Bristles
Re: Solo 401(k) - post retirement
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:29:32 PM »
You're going to pay the taxes on that money and the gains when you pull it out, so it's not exactly tax free, just tax deferred.

grignaak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »
Try it out on https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/. Enter $25,000 as long-term capital gains. 0% tax rate.

JGB

• Stubble
    • Grinderschool Poker Training
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »
You're mostly right. I have a side-business that my wife and I share. Last year nearly everything we made went into a solo 401k that we set up for the business.

There were a few things that we did not plan correctly:
1) You still have to pay social security and Medicare taxes. And you have to pay both sides (15% instead of the 7.5% you pay with a job). This is standard for any self-employed situation.
2) The employer side of the contribution is treated as a business expense (meaning #1 does not apply to the first 25% of what you make as long as you do it via the employer side). Thus the employer side should be maxed first.
3) Other business expenses will come out before taxes/profit are considered. So #1 does not apply here either.

johnhenry

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »
You're going to pay the taxes on that money and the gains when you pull it out, so it's not exactly tax free, just tax deferred.

Is there a way to get the funds from the Solo 401(k) to a TIRA then Roth IRA or directly to a Roth IRA?  If so, it could be "pipelined" to the Roth in increments that would keep the rollover income shielded by deductions/exemptions.