Author Topic: Solar panel system questions  (Read 3097 times)

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
Solar panel system questions
« on: August 05, 2015, 02:09:11 PM »
This 320W kit costs $2700. I think it's for non-grid-tie?

This 400W panel set costs $680 but lacks an inverter and some other components that the first kit has. I really doubt that the missing components cost the difference.

So why the huge price difference?

Say I want to run my fridge off of a solar battery bank most of the time, but I know it will run out of juice every once in a while. Is there a box I can plug in that will draw AC power only when my battery bank reaches empty? I'm thinking that such a device would be cheaper and simpler than grid-tie.

Emg03063

• Bristles
Re: Solar panel system questions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 06:39:06 PM »
The difference is the inverter, and the device you're looking for is a grid tie.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 06:47:43 PM »
If you wanted to spend a bit more you could power the house with your system. And I think in MA you can get some good incentives for it too. Especially with how expensive your electricity is, solar could be a big savings.

http://www.gogreensolar.com/collections/solar-panel-kits

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:25:08 PM »
The difference is the inverter, and the device you're looking for is a grid tie.

Thanks. I was seeing inverters for around $300, but the inverter in this kit goes for $830. That still leaves $1000 between the two kits, though. I'll figure it out.

From my Amazon search, it looks like certain inverters can be grid tied, or is it that you need a second inverter? To be clear, I wouldn't want to feed power back into the grid, just use grid power as backup, and I would want something that would plug into an outlet rather than be hard-wired.

Is there a best place online to learn about all this? Most of my searches bring up vendor pages.

If you wanted to spend a bit more you could power the house with your system. And I think in MA you can get some good incentives for it too. Especially with how expensive your electricity is, solar could be a big savings.

http://www.gogreensolar.com/collections/solar-panel-kits

It would definitely be a big savings, but it might not be practical. We would have to get an easement from our condo neighbor who holds the roof rights. I'll have to look into Massachusetts laws to see if DIY is even possible. I would have to have a contractor pull permits, and I wouldn't be allowed to do the electrical work myself, for sure. These complications are why I'm thinking more along the lines of a smaller non-grid-tie system. I might just end up setting up a pure DC system for small stuff, a la Bakari's Instructable, but I'm at least researching the options for AC. Thanks for your help.

subtlnirvana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
DIY and Solar Equipment Warranty
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 08:59:13 AM »
Does anyone know if specific manufacturers are better than others when it comes to warranty and self installed solar systems?  I was told by one SunPower installer that the warranty is void if you self install?   Any info if appreciated.