Author Topic: Solar chargers  (Read 4856 times)

3Mer

• Bristles
Solar chargers
« on: July 05, 2015, 10:40:05 AM »
Has anyone found a good solar charger (mainly for iPhone) that you would recommend? 

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Solar chargers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 03:22:30 PM »
What are you trying to do?

For most uses, an external battery pack is going to be smaller, easier, and more useful.

For extended camping or such, you'll want a much larger collector than most of the cheap "solar phone chargers" have.

http://www.homepower.com/articles/solar-electricity/equipment-products/portable-pv (from the most recent Home Power magazine) has some reviews of different solar chargers that might be useful.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 05:09:20 PM »
My friend used this while climbing:

http://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/bushnell-powersinc-solar-wrap-250/649875/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=972182&country=us&gclid=CjwKEAjwq-OsBRDd95aryprR9wQSJACQnU3G4kgzuo4q0kK908EO4tksI_XSbJnrzFx3qTTNRBbADBoCfUXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's very compact and lightweight. Very good for a long climb. Includes a battery so you can charge without connecting the iphone first and store a little extra.

It's obviously very pricey though and not a cost-effective alternative to just plugging it in. It'll cost at most a dollar in electricity for a whole YEAR of charging.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I am just going to be camping for a week, on a friend's ranch.   This is the one she recommended:
http://us.waka-waka.com/products/?mc_cid=207d280576&mc_eid=fc6f4113d3

I don't think I'm going to get one because I'm not sure when I would use it again.  I think I'll just power down my phone and only check it a couple times during the week.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 08:44:37 AM »
Just grab an external battery pack and keep your phone mostly in airplane mode.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 08:51:22 AM »
Just grab an external battery pack and keep your phone mostly in airplane mode.
That would make more sense - and actually be something I might use.  Do you recommend a certain kind? How's this one?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mophie-juice-pack-reserve-external-battery-for-apple-iphone-and-ipod-red/5012285.p?id=1218597266552&

Thank you - I'm glad I asked - never would have thought to look for this!

I'm also going to bring my car charger, since others are driving or renting cars so I can maybe get a charge if anyone goes to town during the week.

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »
This is the external battery I used during a recent vacation. $30 and it holds enough juice to recharge a recent iPhone about 5-6 times. (It has 13 times the capacity of the Mophie you linked to.) There are cheaper options as well that still offer decent capacity (compare prices on a $ per mAh basis).

However, I do think the appropriately Mustachian answer to this is: you're camping. Do you really need a smartphone during a camping trip for anything other than emergencies or maybe a once-a-day check-in with someone back home? If that's the case, just keep it powered off 95% of the time and you shouldn't need any external power source to last a week.

Also, if the cars are going to be near your campsite, you may be able to charge from them even when the car isn't running. Recharging an iPhone won't put you at risk of killing the car battery.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:30:19 AM by Nothlit »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 10:00:56 AM »
A phone with GPS is nice for hikes.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 07:00:55 PM »
This is the external battery I used during a recent vacation. $30 and it holds enough juice to recharge a recent iPhone about 5-6 times. (It has 13 times the capacity of the Mophie you linked to.) There are cheaper options as well that still offer decent capacity (compare prices on a $ per mAh basis).

However, I do think the appropriately Mustachian answer to this is: you're camping. Do you really need a smartphone during a camping trip for anything other than emergencies or maybe a once-a-day check-in with someone back home? If that's the case, just keep it powered off 95% of the time and you shouldn't need any external power source to last a week.

Also, if the cars are going to be near your campsite, you may be able to charge from them even when the car isn't running. Recharging an iPhone won't put you at risk of killing the car battery.
Definitely looks worth the $30 and would be handy for times other than just camping.   The cars are going to be not nearby.  Though that is an option in an emergency.  And you're right I shouldn't need to have the phone much.  But like to be prepared.  Thanks for the link!

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 07:01:26 PM »
A phone with GPS is nice for hikes.
True! Good point. 

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 07:31:21 AM »

Definitely looks worth the $30 and would be handy for times other than just camping.   The cars are going to be not nearby.  Though that is an option in an emergency.  And you're right I shouldn't need to have the phone much.  But like to be prepared.  Thanks for the link!

I searched around a bit and this does seem like a great charger, so ordered one. Right after I clicked order I see they have a 16000mAh for a few bucks more.  But I think this will be more than plenty.  And also this is a great thing to have in general.  Thanks so much!