Author Topic: soil sprouts?  (Read 1568 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
soil sprouts?
« on: January 31, 2018, 03:02:24 PM »
Does anyone here do soil sprouting? Basically you sprout seeds on top of a growing medium, then place them in light for a few days to bulk up and turn green. Supposedly bigger/greener than regular sprouts, faster/milder than microgreens, less direct sunlight needed.

https://www.chelseagreen.com/blogs/unlock-secret-perfect-salad-soil-sprouts/

I read the book last night and I'm really tempted... I live somewhere with poor quality expensive winter vegetables.

If you have tried this, I would love to hear any tips or warnings.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
Re: soil sprouts?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »
I'm intrigued, but washing all the dirt off of the roots seems like it would be an annoying chore.  Or do you just chop off the tops and leave the roots behind?

birdie55

• Stubble
Re: soil sprouts?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 03:38:32 PM »
I have grown soil sprouts following the book in your link.

I followed his program, using potting soil, home made compost and some liquid kelp in each pan.  I used the small bread pans that he showed in the book. 

I had some seeds on hand and bought a sprouting mix also.  I started with 4 pans at a time, which actually was a little much for me, since i mixed it into romaine lettuce.  I think he grows many pans at a time since he makes salads from the sprouts only. 

I did cut the sprouts close to the soil line and washed them afterwards.  I did try rinsing them before cutting also which was a little easier, but I don't remember which method worked best.  After cutting the sprouts, I threw the remaining soil with roots in my compost pile, so no waste there.  The next batch starts with fresh soil.

If you don't already have sprouting seeds, I found them at my local nursery in a sprouting seed section, separate from the regular seeds.  Or online too. 

It was a lot of fun.  I grow warm season vegetables in raised beds in my yard, so was just trying this for fun.  I have also grown lettuce and herbs inside using an Aerogarden.  It's a tabletop hydroponic unit, lots of fun. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!