Author Topic: Software question XP to Windows 8  (Read 3078 times)

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
Software question XP to Windows 8
« on: January 01, 2015, 02:58:00 AM »
Ok this is a bit of long shot but not really sure where else to go to get info but I'm trying to get an understanding of what is involved in moving a software program from XP to Windows 8

Background: been looking for a good tax/retirement planning software program for Canadians Fi Metrics Retirement Math Made Easy. Found an awesome program, beats everything out there by a long shot. Went to download it and got the following error message

"software will run only on XP mode"

So emailed support and asked what's going on, crazy, who runs XP anymore. Anyways long story short it's a one man operation, retired guy who built and developed the program and doesn't have the resources/energy to migrate/rewrite the program. So I'm thinking of approaching him about partnering with him. I love the program and have the willingness and energy to take it to the next level, but know next to nothing on the technical side. So before I approach him I'd like to know a bit more about what's involved on the technical side of things. Done some googling but can't really find anything, so like I said, it's a long shot.

THM
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:14:37 AM by Captain and Mrs Slow »

Thegoblinchief

Re: Software question XP to Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 05:51:52 AM »
So, have you tried running it in XP compatibility mode? The compatibility engine is Windows' way to handle legacy programs. It usually works quite well for software like what you're describing (less so for things like games).

Failing that, you'll want to set up a XP virtual machine.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 07:44:16 AM »
Yeah I have, found this link

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

But no luck so far, keep getting this error

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check you computers system information to see whether you need an x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program.

GeneralJinjur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »
I laughed because I read this on my XP machine.  It's still my primary computer.  I bought it used for $200 in 2007. 

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 03:22:08 AM »
funny what I did was to buy a used Visita machine on Amazon. the software is going to take longer than I thought to learn so in the end if I really like it I'll get my nephew to help me setup XP on windows 8