Author Topic: Software devs in the Financial sector/Corporate 'Murica?  (Read 2427 times)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Software devs in the Financial sector/Corporate 'Murica?
« on: May 13, 2014, 02:58:38 PM »
What's your work like and how did you get there? What is it you like/don't like?

From my research, it seems like most mega banks only advertise very specific roles, ie they need this hire to know this tool and that tool, this and that technology (usually extremely boring). Everyone is also using Taleo, which has to be the worst HR software I have ever seen. Positions are hard to read between the lines, it could be amazing, or the dullest job ever. Sometimes I wonder whether applications are even read by anybody or it's all just a masquerade. Are recruiters and connections the way to go?

Obviously you don't have to say who you work for, but feel free to name your direct competitors or a pool of companies so we have a better idea.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Software devs in the Financial sector/Corporate 'Murica?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »
Not personal experience, but from what I've heard: If you don't like "boring" technologies, then the banking industry may not be for you. Generally they are very conservative and slow to update with new technology (with good reason, given the amount of money at risk if there's a glitch). Last I heard, some core banking programs were still being maintained in COBOL!

Home Stretch

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:14:27 PM »
My second job out of college was a software developer for a large investment bank with a large office in RTP, NC. It wasn't for me, but if I'm being honest with any large company it seems to be more of the specific team you are on than the company as a whole. I completely agree that the HR/recruiting side of it is a black hole and it can be hard to tell what is really going on. Might be worth it to check with some local recruiting agencies for these types of jobs? Generally they can give you a better idea of what to expect and maybe read between the lines for you.

I am now in a position at a smaller company that works with many enterprise level corporations and I can't express how much better it is just to work with people that you get along with, regardless of how boring the technologies are.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 01:36:14 AM »
I work for SunGard (one of the larger 3rd part providers of financial software).

Got introduced through a small recruitment agency.

Our team is a great mix of people, and management have a good attitude.

Sure the product might be boring at a high level, but when you dig into its inner workings it can be very exciting. At least the project I'm working on is using relevant and even modern technologies, so what I learn is easily transferable.