Author Topic: sodastream-hold the facepunches!  (Read 8486 times)

resy

• Bristles
sodastream-hold the facepunches!
« on: July 31, 2014, 05:17:31 PM »
I know, I know.... but hear me out:
My husband LOVES his soda/flavored expensive beverage AND isnt completely on the mustachian bandwagon yet.
Have any of you guys used sodastream? I'm considering it as it may be a cheaper (and somewhat, probably vaguely) better alternative to soda. Any input?
He drinks about 3 12oz cans a day (gawd I know! But we are working on it....much improvement from his candy in the morning habit)

clarkm04

• Stubble
Re: sodastream-hold the facepunches!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »
We have one.  Use this to save on gas.  Sodastream charges up the nose for co2 replacement.
http://www.sodamod.com

Also, to save mney n soda, we stock up at Costco when they have rebates.

P938LVR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Fiverr
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »
I know, I know.... but hear me out:
My husband LOVES his soda/flavored expensive beverage AND isnt completely on the mustachian bandwagon yet.
Have any of you guys used sodastream? I'm considering it as it may be a cheaper (and somewhat, probably vaguely) better alternative to soda. Any input?
He drinks about 3 12oz cans a day (gawd I know! But we are working on it....much improvement from his candy in the morning habit)

Honestly, its not that great. I have one and it doesn't taste just like Diet Coke. It tastes more like Pepsi and I am not a fan of Pepsi. If that's your thing then go for it!

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 06:52:40 PM »
Pepsi is his drink of choice! Sweet!

okkiedokki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:32:29 PM »
We have a sodastream too.  I refill my co2 with dry ice (see youtube video below); it costs me $3 every other month.  We only drink a 1 litter a day so the syrups last us a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWcRDMAA8RE

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »
If your plan is to wean him off of sugary soda and onto healthier carbonated beverages, go right ahead. I went from drinking lots of juice in my seltzer to practically no juice, and often just plain seltzer.

If he's going to drink plain old cola, just homemade, I don't know that it's worth it.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 07:57:21 PM »
From the math I have done I am not sure they are really a money saver. You can usually get 2 liter bottles of Coke or Pepsi on sale for $1 at some grocery store and considering the upfront cost of $100 for a sodastream and then paying for the CO2, not sure if worth it.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 08:08:41 PM »
From the math I have done I am not sure they are really a money saver. You can usually get 2 liter bottles of Coke or Pepsi on sale for $1 at some grocery store and considering the upfront cost of $100 for a sodastream and then paying for the CO2, not sure if worth it.
Thank you for running the numbers!

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 08:10:54 PM »
If your plan is to wean him off of sugary soda and onto healthier carbonated beverages, go right ahead. I went from drinking lots of juice in my seltzer to practically no juice, and often just plain seltzer.

If he's going to drink plain old cola, just homemade, I don't know that it's worth it.
You got my attention! So what did you do? Sinply mix juice and seltzer? Hmm... I might try it on him because I REALLY want him to quit his soda habit, I dont like paying for something that has no nutrients whatsoever (even worse, its bad for you!)

DarinC

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 08:21:34 PM »
Juice and seltzer is awesome. What I really want to do is a DIY rig with a used CO2 bottle in the garage. Although my wife would probably require me to mount it and point any parts that could fly off towards the wall or something.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 08:47:47 PM »

You got my attention! So what did you do? Sinply mix juice and seltzer? Hmm... I might try it on him because I REALLY want him to quit his soda habit, I dont like paying for something that has no nutrients whatsoever (even worse, its bad for you!)
We weaned ourselves off a coke zero habit with plain seltzer. That's all we use our sodastream for--bubbly water--and it's all we drink (other than coffee & alcohol). Through this process, I figured out I am a carbonation addict, not so much of a taste-of-soda addict. Maybe your husband is the same?

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 08:49:41 PM »

+1. One or the other of Coke or Pepsi is always "on sale" for $1 somewhere. My local grocery store had Waist Watchers / Adirondack 2 lt soda on sale 2/$1.  CVS regularly sells A&W (root beer & 7up) for $0.88, and Coke/Pepsi falls to $0.88 from time to time.  And if I run out and nobody has a sale, store brand 2 lts are $0.69.

The economics just don't work out for true soda, but may for just plain seltzer.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 10:01:58 PM »
I have a soda stream, have had it for at least 7 years.
I mostly mix the seltzer with juice or make my own homemade syrups.
there are lots of books with recipes (check library) or you can make simple syrup and flavor it...so many options.

It makes it more of a treat for me, than drinking soda. I dont really buy regular soda at all anymore. Once a great while.

I think it also cuts down on waste, no disposable 2 liters or whatever container you buy, way less packaging, etc.

SDREMNGR

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 10:57:27 PM »
1 liter of soda stream soda water, squeeze 1 lemon with a citrus press (looks like a big garlic press). 1 minute, done.  Tastes even better than just seltzer.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 02:36:32 AM »
I live in Germany where all water pop beer is sold in heavy and I mean heavy plastic returnable cases. It was such a pain to lug home a heavy case of water (cost 1.79 for 12 bottles (.7 litre) that I bought a soda stream to save the hassle.

While the (sugar) flavourings are expensive they helped me kick the diet Pepsi (mostly) habit. My fav, grapefruit!

If you're trying to get off of the pop habit I suggest buying carbonated water (I can't think of any brands off hand) instead of a sodastream. Stuff is dirt cheap and takes great on a hot day.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 08:10:19 AM »
I agree that, in comparison to $1 2L of soda, it *might* not be worth it to switch. But he's drinking cans of soda, which is much less economical anyway.

We have a SodaStream, and use it to replace our seltzer habit -- it's rare to find those at $1 for 2Ls, and I was buying a gazillion at a time when it was on sale. This was a pain to buy and store, so the sodastream is a lot easier.

To mitigate the cost of the CO2 cartridges, I buy them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond with a $5 off $15 purchase coupon. The cartridges are $15 (or $14.99) and they let me use the coupon, so it's only $10. We fill up each day, at least, and one cartridge gives us at least 2 months' worth.

Sometimes we put a little OJ or pomegranite juice in our glasses before pouring in the seltzer, if we're in the mood for flavor. But usually we just drink it plain.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 08:18:13 AM »
My dad has one and my parents use it daily plus my sister, DH and I use use it when we visit. He was drinking 2-3 bottles of carbonated water per day (he long ago gave up soda, but he prefers  water 'mit gas' as they'd say in Germany) and my sister did the math for him after seeing the recycling bin full of water bottles. It's a pretty nifty gadget, which is fun for him, too, since he's into things like that.

I like some of the flavor options that they have (specifically grapefruit) but I'm not big on cola. I don't think the cola will taste the same as the cola your guy's drinking, but if he's open to the idea of switching brands, it would be worth it. My favorite thing is that you don't have to add as much flavor syrup as is recommended, so I go for a lighter flavor and just use less, since I don't like super sweet soda. And with so many flavor options (even other brands like those packets of flavor for water or the squirt bottles of flavor), you can experiment and find new favorites.

And I second the Bed, Bath & Beyond for CO2 cartridges--that's what my mom does, and and she also looks for flavors on sale at Target, etc.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 08:48:26 AM »
We like ours, but it isn't something we use every day.  Our son would live on sugary stuff if we allowed it, which we don't.  He does enjoy making a spritzer with juice plus seltzer.  We have some of the soda flavors, but I'm not a big fan of the taste.  I like the grapefruit and one other that I can't recall.  There are mixers now for alcoholic drinks that might be tasty.  I haven't tried them, but my son likes the Cosmopolitan flavor (he's 10, so minus the hard stuff).

Overall, I doubt it really saves us any money, but it is fun, and it's something kind of different for our guests to talk about.

Mechanista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 10:38:10 AM »
We have a sodastream and love it.

We use the sodamod adapter to save money on CO2, and we don't ever use the syrups made for the machine. I find they are too sweet and not any different than buying the unhealthy soda from the store. I got hooked on just plain old aqua frizzante (carbonated water) while living in Italy, so I just generally drink that. For my wife and daughter we make syrup at home or just add a squeeze of lemon or a bit of juice or other flavoring. When we do want to indulge a little its great for making seltzer for cocktails too.

It saves us money because of how we use it. If you were purchasing syrup to go with it and buying the CO2 in the booby trapped proprietary cans I think you may do just as well buying soda on sale.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 03:31:18 AM »
We have one, like it a lot and use it pretty often. I bought it relatively cheaply on Craigslist.

Strangely, it's been close to 10 months, and we still haven't had to re-fill the C02 cartridge, I think this is because we lucked out and got a model with the larger tank which I understand they may not make anymore.

If you are looking purely for a cost savings over buying cola, you won't necessarily find it. If you only buy regular priced name brand cola, not on sale, then the soda stream option might be cheaper. But if you buy generic cola, or just in bulk and on sale, I don't think the soda stream is cheaper after you factor in the unit, buying syrup and the cost of refills.

Now for making plain carbonated water, it's great, and that is what we mainly do. I like to drink my soda water with a lemon and occasionally some mint.
You might be able to use it to wean off of sugary drinks by diluting the ratios or adding more soda water to your cola, but YMMV.

For other users, I'm wondering how much I will continue to like the sodastream after I have to pay for my first re-fill. Who has experimented with alternate refill methods, and have you found they work well?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!