Author Topic: Socks!  (Read 4121 times)

thef0x

• Stubble
Socks!
« on: February 07, 2016, 03:05:49 PM »
Wanting to double check on "Darn Tough" socks before I fire on these bad boys.

I'm going for quality + lifetime guarantee (which they honor) -- have heard great things about this brand from following folks doing the PCT and other 2000+ mile hikes. 

They run $14 a pair so they ain't cheap, but I figure this is a once in a life time investment to have socks covered.  Literally, they will replace them for life.

Am I missing the obvious, super long lasting, twice as cheap brand or can others vouch for these bad boys?

I'll be getting the "Darn Tough Men's Tab No Show Light Cushion" as listed on eBay.  Start with a pair to make sure they're the real deal and then grab a few more. 

Hopefully I won't have to buy socks again.

LMK!
-d

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Socks!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 03:19:14 PM »
Just pipe in to say I love Darn Tough socks. 
Personally I've never tried to use their replacement for life... but they last me through multiple years of hiking, snow shoveling and general sock-wearing, so I'm happy to give them another $14 for new ones.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 03:31:51 PM »
Likewise! I've never tested their guarantee/replacement policy, but so far haven't needed to and would happily buy them again.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 05:31:54 PM »
They're everything they say. Buy. I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money on socks, and I regret nothing.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 06:21:53 PM »
I used to be a fan of Thor- lo socks, but they don't seem to hold up as well as they used to. I have skinny feet, so their thick soles helped my shoes fit better and I loved them for it. Just thinking it's time for some new sock love, so I'm following.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 06:50:41 PM »
Wanting to double check on "Darn Tough" socks before I fire on these bad boys.
Hopefully I won't have to buy socks again.

LMK!
-d

I'll vouch for them! I love them. Well worth the money. Yes, I have managed to wear some out (I wear them around the house like slippers all winter) It took me years to wear them out (vs less than 1 for smartwool).

true to their word they replaced them for free.

The replacements shipped back within days, only caveat is they had to send me a different color since the color I had wasn't made any more. LOVE Darn Tough!!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 06:53:03 PM by kimmarg »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 09:13:58 PM »
I love them (particularly the light cushion ones). I don't wear anything else anymore.  I usually wear them for two days before washing.  I bought mine on sale from gobros.com - they have 25% off every so often.

thef0x

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 07:49:34 AM »
It's settled! 

Thanks ya'll, great feedback. 

(And just thinking about it ... goodness.. look how "hiking" this community is!!! It's like we enjoy exploring the world on our own two feet or something.... ;)
-d

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »
I wore the same pair every day to work for a year as a test, washed 2x a week, no holes.  Love me some Vermont Darn Tough socks.