Author Topic: So, what's the point?  (Read 229980 times)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
So, what's the point?
« on: March 01, 2012, 06:07:38 PM »
Reading Mike Key's question about spending money on experiences got me thinking. My first reaction was, "gee, if you can't spend your money on experiences what's the point?"

But that's MY point. For me the whole point of FI is having the time and money to hike, bike, ski, and paddle in the most beautiful landscapes on the planet. I don't care if I'm living out of a tent, eating beans and rice and wearing home made gear (yes, I sew my own technical clothing), as long as I can do it without worrying about money.

Now I'm curious.

Tell me what, for you personally, is the point of a mustachian life?

sulaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: So, what's the point?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »
For me personally, it's the idea of freedom. I can't imagine being chained to a desk for another 10 years, let alone 30 as the general population would imagine. There is so much in the world to see and do, I'm not interested in doing the same thing for the rest of my active life.

ERE talks about the idea of decoupling. Say I (or my wife or kids) lost our jobs, got sick, or something worse. Post FI, money would be the least of my concerns, allowing me to deal with the real issue (either I suck at my job, my or my families illness, or whatever the problem). At the point of FI, I'm no longer dependent on an employer, my health, or even my life to provide for my family. As someone who feels a need to provide, that is a very satisfying feeling.

For me, it also has environmental impact - I'm consuming less than I used to (and maybe less than I currently desire) - by I see that my past consumption behavior was destructive to both me (financially and physically) and the environment.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:03:57 PM by jonhohle »

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »
Before MMM I was focused on learning about FI, but now I'm thinking bigger picture.  If I had to pick one word it would have been "freedom" or "independence" in the past, but now I'm thinking of words like "balance", "sustainable", "thrive", "simplicity"...  Sustainable might be the best word, it can be applied to our finances, our enjoyment, our environment, our lifestyle, etc.

ultrarunner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »
and wearing home made gear (yes, I sew my own technical clothing)

Badass!!  Where do you get your fabric?  I've been looking for a few things recently... primarily SilNylon. 

Sorry for the thread drift.  :)

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:44:27 PM »
For me, the point of FI is two-fold. First, I want the freedom to think. I find that I spend my day very differently when I have an obligation in it, however small. So, if I have a lunch scheduled at 1:00, even if it is something I am looking forward to, it changes the tone of my day. I'm now "on a schedule", and I (consciously or not) try to optimize my time. Verses an obligation-less day, where I spend my time unstructured. I still do things, but they tend to be the "important-but-not-urgent" type tasks, and I do them at whatever pace suits me. I get more "things" done on the optimized days, but I am far more creative on obligation-less days. I know I will still have plenty of obligations in FI, but I hope to increase the number of obligation-less days I have.

Second, my experience with foster kids has made me realize that we cannot be a two-income household with children. Life is just too busy and too crazy and I would go totally mad. However, neither DH nor I feel we would make good SAHPs. So, we've opted to delay childbearing until we can either both FI or semi-FI and work part time from home.

masont

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »
For me, it's a couple things, not in order of importance 

1.  To be able to afford to do a job I actually enjoy.
2.  My faith tells me to be a responsible steward of what I've been given
3.  I can afford to give more money away to really worthy causes
4.  So, if something comes up that costs money, I can afford it
5.  The more I sacrifice, the more I spend time on things that really matter.  Sacrifice isn't a bad thing.  It's a very good thing.
6.  Waste is bad for everybody.  The less I consume, the better. 
7.  If I don't waste money on crap that isn't important, I can afford cooler toys

Aloysius_Poutine

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:14:19 PM »
I see intrinsic value in frugality. And I want to be wealthy!

catalana

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:14:47 AM »
I am still trying to figure this bit out.

I am frugal because I hate waste and the effect it has on our environment.  I am also ridiculously attached to my stash and planning and measuring it's growth.

I am not yet sure what to do with it though!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 05:07:35 AM »
and wearing home made gear (yes, I sew my own technical clothing)

Badass!!  Where do you get your fabric?  I've been looking for a few things recently... primarily SilNylon. 

Sorry for the thread drift.  :)

Ha! never thought of that as badass but I suppose it is. Here are some links to help you:

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/default.asp
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/?gclid=CMDo05WUyK4CFcbsKgodaQ4zDA
http://www.therainshed.com/
http://www.rockywoods.com/

and this will take you straight to a SilNylon source
http://thru-hiker.com/materials/coated.php

But always check http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/ before you buy elsewhere, you never know what they might have in stock. I've gotten some great deals on wicking fabrics and supplex there.

I generally use Kwik Sew patterns because they are the best quality (IMHO), but there are pattern companies that only make gear patterns. Seattle fabrics (see link above) has a good selection, but no Kwik Sew.

Enjoy!

[/thread drift]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:17:27 AM by Parizade »

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 06:06:58 AM »
I said this in another post somewhere, but basically I want to be able to do what I want to do and not what I have to do. (because of bills or debt or cultural pressure)

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:46 AM »
As I said in my intro post, I'm a Christian. I believe that managing our money well reflects our values of simplicity, modesty, fairness and charity. Reaching the point of complete FI will allow us the time and financial freedom to help others as much as we want to.
You know how many sleepless nights I've had as an adult, worrying about money? NONE. Hubby and I got married on one $10 an hour income making a house and car payment. I still didn't worry because I knew that frugality + patience reaps huge rewards both in character and financial stability. 11.5 years later we are 4X further ahead than I expected. We've been blessed. Life is a blessing. We  all should be fully engaged and thankful, not working 80 hours a week for money to buy stuff.
A full life, in peace, is the point.

Dave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 06:37:30 AM »
Yep, I don't want to "retire" and stare at a wall somewhere - but the things I think I'd really enjoy aren't things that either can be combined with a normal desk job, or if they are in fact jobs, wouldn't support us very well:

- have a bike shop, preferably an esoteric one - or maybe just spend time working in oen
- go out to Nepal and volunteer as a teacher

chrissyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 06:55:18 AM »
A few things that spring to mind for me:

- FI/Mustachianism enables a different kind of decision making, and in my experience, I enjoy making decisions and find they are better for me in the long term when I am in Mustachian mode.
- I don't like the idea of waste - financially or physically. Knowing that I am making a conscious effort to increase my independence and leading a more sustainable lifestyle gives me a lot of pride.
- I've found I enjoy life more when things are simpler. It's been a great journey of self discovery to determine things I like and that matter to me. Because I know what I like, I am happy to invest a little time or money in them rather than funnelling money into excess stuff I don't really care about.
- I like feeling like I am thinking for myself rather than thinking how anyone else (marketing, wider society) is pushing me to think
- I don't feel compelled to have kids yet, but when I do, I want to be able to choose whether DH and/or I spend more time at home rather than having to be a two income household.
- There are projects and causes I am really looking forward to, which I mightn't be able to undertake or get involved in if I'd not already built a secure financial backing and/or reduced my spending
- It's way more fun viewing life as a cool challenge than the 'daily grind' that everyone likes to complain about. It's super exciting when you set a target or learn about something new or interact with people with similar-but-different values like on this board rather than just operating on default mode, working 40 hours a week, financing everything, going out to eat/drink/shop all the time and complaining about it all (underpaid, overworked, increasing expenses, gaining weight, etc) in the process.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 08:29:42 AM »
My reasons are similar to many of yours. I like efficiency, I value autonomy, and I want to spend time with my family.

A sort of malaise has bothered me for a long time. I've never loved any job, even though I've had some really cool jobs. I would like the opportunity to cut back on hours for a while and then be more self-directed, maybe even taking on a project that I can pour myself into. I'm too scared to become self-employed before FI, and I'm too tired to take on a project right now, with a full-time job and a young family.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »
This is a good thread, thanks for starting it.

For me: Freedom. Choice.

There will be experiences. There will be (some) stuff.  But mostly, the fact that I can choose, each and every day, how I want to spend that day.

* yeah.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Mike Key

• Stubble
  • Entrepreneur & Adventure Seeker
    • Tiny House - Big Backyard
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 01:45:31 PM »
Freedom of Choice for me as well.

Learning to do that as a married person is a lot harder than it was to figure out as a bachelor. But it's an adventure. I can only imagine when we add kids into the mix.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 02:07:30 PM »
Like the others, it's a freedom thing for me. I want to be able to travel and live freely in the future. I don't want to be chained to a desk or selling myself to the highest bidder so I can fuel a lifestyle full of things I don't need.

It's also a stability thing. I grew up in a low-income family- I never really missed the stuff I grew up without, but I learned to appreciate financial stability. Not having to worry about money (and how screwed you'd be if your car broke down, or you got sick) means you can focus on other things. I guess that's also a form of freedom.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 02:12:56 PM »
The point for me:

-Frugality/ environmental consciousness are intrinsic values to me.
-Having lots of money in the bank makes me feel secure.
-The things I want to do with my time don't pay well enough to do them for a living (writing, research, outdoor adventures, volunteer work). Even though I think I made out with one of the best careers I could given my talents and values, I know I can make more of an impact on the world than I am right now if I can dedicate time to things that don’t pay well or at all.
-A lot of the things I want to do as a retiree are physical so if I waited until traditional retirement age it would be almost too late (running, biking, hiking)
-I'd like to spend time with my retired parents and other family members while they are still physically active. The thought of not getting more than a few weeks a year with them until they are in their 80's and 90's hurts my soul (we live across country from each other.)
-There are so many things about what it actually means to be a human being on this planet that I want to be a part of--sitting in an office all day I just feel like I'm missing the point. I want to push my body to the limits, learn to grow my own food, get to know the people in the community I live in (instead of centering my life around where I work), and many more.

And yes, reading this list makes me realize that I should focus more on doing as many of these things as possible NOW, as well.

vwDavid

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 02:42:10 PM »
This sums it up for me. Thanks Velocistar

My reasons are similar to many of yours. I like efficiency, I value autonomy, and I want to spend time with my family.

A sort of malaise has bothered me for a long time. I've never loved any job, even though I've had some really cool jobs. I would like the opportunity to cut back on hours for a while and then be more self-directed, maybe even taking on a project that I can pour myself into. I'm too scared to become self-employed before FI, and I'm too tired to take on a project right now, with a full-time job and a young family.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 05:07:07 PM »
Before MMM I was focused on learning about FI, but now I'm thinking bigger picture.  If I had to pick one word it would have been "freedom" or "independence" in the past, but now I'm thinking of words like "balance", "sustainable", "thrive", "simplicity"...  Sustainable might be the best word, it can be applied to our finances, our enjoyment, our environment, our lifestyle, etc.

Great question!  James summed up my feelings on it pretty well.  The only thing he didn't mention is raising kids.  That was the #1 reason for me and that's what we spend most of our time doing right now...  I wouldn't have time for a job anymore!  ;)

redeyedtreefr0g

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »
I'd like to be able to not have to check a bank balance if I need to buy something. I'd like to have enough extra money that my dogs can have the vaccinations they never get now, that I could visit a dentist for teeth-cleaning, that I could maybe even go spontaneously take a flight with my husband to see family back in Florida.... I want to not be poor all the time, not constantly have to check price tags and go for the cheapest thing available.

dahlink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 12:21:24 AM »
It means I can have my financial freedom cake and eat it too!  The lack of money will never be a threat for me cause I'll always have my 'stache.

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »
My end goal is not to be financially independant but to just be independant. At least in theory...

I want to own land free and clear on which I can hunt, fish, and farm. I want to spend free time physically improving my living conditions and preserving food for the winter. I want to have horses, pigs, goats, sheep, chickens, rabbits etc. And above all else I want to know that I can provide for my (future) family everything they'd need in the event that any radical change arises. I'm not expecting the end of days, I just want the ability to keep my family happy and healthy without relying on people that don't care or just provide services for money.

Money can take you far, but not far enough IMO.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 08:19:34 AM »
My end goal is not to be financially independant but to just be independant. At least in theory...

I want to own land free and clear on which I can hunt, fish, and farm. I want to spend free time physically improving my living conditions and preserving food for the winter. I want to have horses, pigs, goats, sheep, chickens, rabbits etc. And above all else I want to know that I can provide for my (future) family everything they'd need in the event that any radical change arises. I'm not expecting the end of days, I just want the ability to keep my family happy and healthy without relying on people that don't care or just provide services for money.

Money can take you far, but not far enough IMO.

That picture is nice.  I'd prefer both. What happens if/when I get hurt, can't farm, whatever?  The $$ as a fallback, providing health insurance and a cushion is nice.  :)

Otherwise you could retire right now, cause all of the above doesn't take that much money (some land and some animals).

The combination of self-sufficiency and money is much better than either alone, IMO.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

C40

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 09:08:14 PM »
The point of becoming FI is so I can do whatever the hell I feel like.

If that's not detail enough, then when I:

- Feel like telling my boss to take a hike? That will be easy
- Feel like going for a hike? Yep.
- Feel like going to see my family for weeks at a time? Hanging out with my sister and helping her garden, or helping her improve her house? Playing with and teaching my nephew new things? Bonding with dad? Road trips with my brother?  Yep, yep, yep...
- Feel like becoming a bartender in the Caribbean for one winter? Okay!
- Feel like just laying on the beach for a summer? That works too!
- Feel like learning all about Roman and Greek history? Sounds like fun!
- Feel like being a camp counselor in the north during a summer? I guess so!
- Feel like trying to find God? There's a time for everything!
- Feel like going backpacking or bicycle touring and disappearing from the rest of the world for months at a time? That will be easy!
- Feel like making a goal of having a life interesting enough to make it worth writing an autobiography when you get old? FI is a good start!

And on and on until dead.

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 04:27:17 AM »
The combination of self-sufficiency and money is much better than either alone, IMO.

Oh, absolutely. Both is definitely better! Financial freedom is just a step along the way that would make everything else more easily obtainable. Not to mention, if I meet a Mrs. Arbor along the way that is less than keen to that way of life I should hypothetically have the finances to find a happy medium between what she wants and my current game plan.

MountainMan

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 02:37:48 PM »
+1,000,000 to this whole thread. :)

MsLogica

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 05:18:59 AM »
+1,000,000 to this whole thread. :)

Same!  I just want the freedom to do whatever I want, and not to have as many 'have-to's in my life.

nondualie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 12:08:17 PM »
This sums it up for me. Thanks Velocistar

Yupped and +1

outsidethebox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 01:49:42 AM »
*Freedom

*I want to fully enjoy my family

*self reliance

*I want to give to those who truly need it

*I want to be a little selfish and travel

*I just enjoy this lifestyle

rjack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I'm retired!
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 06:16:11 AM »
I agree with all the replies in this thread.

In addition, I want to create/fix/build whatever I want. I'm an software engineer so I'm currently paid to build software, but I want the freedom to build whatever I want.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!