Author Topic: So I wrote a book...  (Read 7122 times)

Bikesy

• Stubble
So I wrote a book...
« on: October 23, 2014, 05:45:06 AM »
10.26.14 Update:  Still looking for 2-3 more people who would be willing to read a draft and provide some feedback.  Please post or send me a PM if you're interested.  Thanks!

I enjoy writing almost as much as personal finance and I decided to put together a little project that scratched both itches.  The original plan was to write a short, entertaining "handbook" to share with family and friends.  After all was said and done my handbook turned into a 100+ page "regular" book.  At that point I decided I might as well spend a little more time on it and try to create an actual finished product that could hopefully be enjoyed by more then just my family.

Here's where I need some mustachian help.  Most of you will probably agree with most of the content of the book as it aligns with my generally mustachian views.  It's a bit irreverent and meant to be a good split between entertainment and actual financial advice, aimed at people that wouldn't normally be able to stomach a whole book on PF.  What I need are a few volunteers to read it and give some honest feedback.  I don't need help with grammar or design, that will come later.  What I'm looking for is feedback on topic choices, ease of reading, is it entertaining or not, are there areas that are or would be confusing to people, etc. 

I'm not going to post the whole thing yet, I would prefer to send it to a few people, maybe 10, through PM or Email.

If you're interested in helping me with this project please post and let me know.  Also, I would love, love, love, if there was anyone who's been involved in or has written a book before who was willing to help out.

I've attached a short excerpt for the book for everyone to preview.  Feel free to leave any feedback.

Thank you all!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:48:38 AM by Bikesy »

EDSMedS

• Stubble
Re: So I wrote a book...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 06:15:14 AM »
Non-fiction english major (woot!) here that currently works in Accounting/Finance.  I've had my hand in several hefty organizational policies and guidebooks.  Feel free to send your project my way.  I'll have some time this weekend to dive into a chapter or two then provide feedback.

I assume that you are at the point of a directional edit - flow, logical arguments, topic gaps, etc. - and would not currently appreciate hearing that a comma is out of place.  Am I correct?

Bikesy

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 06:34:23 AM »
Non-fiction english major (woot!) here that currently works in Accounting/Finance.  I've had my hand in several hefty organizational policies and guidebooks.  Feel free to send your project my way.  I'll have some time this weekend to dive into a chapter or two then provide feedback.

I assume that you are at the point of a directional edit - flow, logical arguments, topic gaps, etc. - and would not currently appreciate hearing that a comma is out of place.  Am I correct?

You are quite correct!  I'm sure there are multiple commas out of place!  Thanks for the help.  You have a PM

Dyk

• Stubble
  • Starting late, w/ a family, but get out of the way
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:42:25 AM »
I am in, I would love to read it and provide feedback on topics, entertainment, and confusion level!

Nice job, keep running with it!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:21:44 AM »
Happy to help out.  Not sure how much credit I can take for this, but I've provided structural comments on fiction books for a friend over the past 1-2 years, and she's just signed her first 2-book contract.  I also do a lot of commenting on documents for clarity/organization as part of my job (health care lawyer).

Bikesy

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:09:39 AM »
Dyk and commoncents,  you both have PMs from me.

Thanks!

Caella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:51:51 AM »
I'm not an english anything, nor i have experience with books (except liking to read them!) but the excerpt sounds really entertaining.
I'm sure you will be able to catch some non-financial people attention. I like the 'blog-like'/'talk to the reader' approach to PF, especially for your target audience.

If you want some foreign point of view, i'm in!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 07:41:06 PM »
my free advice is that you mention ynab too. some people (like myself) can't use mint or personal capital because it doesn't link up to my bank account. Also it would be nice if you gave a budget example or delved into what a budget looks like as well as trying not to fudge the numbers.

Bikesy

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 07:48:24 AM »
my free advice is that you mention ynab too. some people (like myself) can't use mint or personal capital because it doesn't link up to my bank account. Also it would be nice if you gave a budget example or delved into what a budget looks like as well as trying not to fudge the numbers.

Good call on YNAB, I will add that in.  I've never used it so I'll do a bit of research.  There's a full section in the book on expenses that includes an "average" American budget.  I will look into adding an "optimized" budget as well.  Also, I've found that the numbers are usually shocking enough without any fudging!

Thanks!

Bikesy

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 07:52:46 AM »
@Caella

Send me your email address in a PM and I'll send you a draft.  Thanks for the help!

Bikesy

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 10:09:40 AM »
Still looking for a couple of volunteers to read a first draft and give some feedback.  If you're interested post a reply and I'll send you a PM.

Thanks!

DFJD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DebtFreeJD
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 06:35:03 PM »
Happy to help! Lawyer now, but used to be a copy editor . . .

Bikesy

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »
DFJD...You have a PM.  Thanks for the help!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 10:02:10 AM »
Would love to help! Sent my email id as pm

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 10:16:04 AM »
Any book on personal finance should include a chapter based on http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/

Good luck! Don't forget to update this thread with the link to the ebook/Amazon when it's all done

Bikesy

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 11:38:24 AM »
Any book on personal finance should include a chapter based on http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/

Good luck! Don't forget to update this thread with the link to the ebook/Amazon when it's all done

That post is one of the big reasons I wanted to write a book!  I borrowed the table showing savings rates vs years to retirement...It also includes a nice shout out to MMM of course!