Author Topic: Snack ideas needed!  (Read 5748 times)

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
Snack ideas needed!
« on: September 30, 2014, 09:40:35 AM »
Need frugal high protein, healthy fat snack ideas.  I am nursing and feel like I'm always hungry and my supply is dropping, so I want to be more mindful of consuming enough high quality fuel.

I bought kefir, almonds, pistachios, some Lara bars, some gluten free fig cookies this morning at Whole Foods.  It was expensive.  Need some other ideas.

To add to the challenge!  Must be gluten free, and I travel between two work sites, so want to avoid anything too very complicated.

My only other ideas are hard boiled eggs and avocados.  Help!

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
Re: Snack ideas needed!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:00:45 AM »
What about bean dip?  Hummus, white bean, and black bean dip can be made quickly and cheaply.

Would cheese work?  Low fat mozzarella, cottage cheese, cream cheese.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 10:15:42 AM »
Cottage Cheese and fruit.

Homemade (or store-bought) greek yogurt and fruit.  Can add stuff like flax seed (hope that's non-gluten!)

PB&J on rice tortillas.

I make the following granola bars:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/09/granola-bars/
She uses wheat germ but I have substituted ground almonds and flax seed without any issue.  Also have used raisins, craisins, etc.  It is quite a versatile recipe and makes a TON of granola bars.  They freeze well too.

cynthia1848

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »
I would increase your carbs in addition to your protein - I found I needed a lot more of both when I was nursing.

My suggestion is CHEEEEEEEEESE!

bonjourliz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 11:21:23 AM »
Homemade Lara bars are so easy.  A shopping trip and a blitz through the food processor. 

Google lactation cookie recipe. Its like an oatmeal cookie, but full of galactogogues.  (May want to use less sugar than recipe)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 01:55:42 PM »
Don't buy that stuff at Whole Foods! You can probably get almonds and other nuts way cheaper at a regular grocery store. I buy giant jars of cashews at Costco for just a few dollars a pound.

I ate cottage cheese by the truckload when I was nursing! Almost the only time I really go for it, too.

Maybe dried fruit, too? Something unsweetened, like apricots.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 01:59:22 PM »
Oatmeal cookies, especially peanut butter raisin varieties (I have a favorite I could post but it would be at least tomorrow), would be an excellent choice as oats help improve milk supply.

The herb fenrugeek (sp?) is also been shown to increase milk supply.  I believe it is taken as either a supplement or in tea form.  Look at the store also for "mother's milk tea" but I cannot remember the brand name.  It may be helpful.

Also, don't forget to push fluids especially water.  You should be drinking a LOT every day.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 02:20:45 PM »
I'm nursing as well and one of my go to snacks is a string cheese with a piece or two of turkey meat wrapped around it. Fast, easy and filling.

tracylayton

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 02:36:44 PM »
Peanut butter in celery, raw veggies dipped in hummus, cottage cheese, and deviled eggs.

Spartana

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
Hi ya Fidgie!! I would recommend avocados. Lots of fat (the good kind) and low carb. Mash them up with some other things - maybe put in some olives and nuts - put on bread or crackers (gluten free) and you'll have a high calorie/high fat/high protein but healthy snack that will probably satisfy you. Also smoked salmon might be good.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 06:40:01 PM »
I love flax seeds as a snack.  2 tablespoons = 90 calories of pure fiber, protein, and omega fats.

People traditionally grind these up, but I bring some to work in a 1/2 cup tupperware that I pour a little in my mouth, chew them up, and repeat.   Since they are so small, they're difficult to eat with your fingers.

They taste quite nutty and are so filling.

I buy these in the bulk bins at the grocery store for $1.49/lb so it's about 5 cents a serving.

yoga mama

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 06:46:49 PM »
I second cheese and TONS of water.  As for Lara bars - I have made them (in fact, just made some today) but didn't find that I saved very much money, plus they are goopy.  I had to store them in the freezer the first time so they didn't fall apart, this time I'm trying the dehydrator so we'll see if that makes them good or maybe they'll just fall apart.  I find it kind of a pain and they are around $.80 per bar at Costco, I spent almost that on ingredients to make them.  Also my food processor is loud and scares the s**t out of my kids :)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 07:05:22 PM »
Nobody ever thinks of this as a "snack", but a big glass of milk can hit most of your requirements. Fast, cheap, high fat (if you choose), high protein, calcium, leaves you feeling full. When I'm really in a hurry (like, at the airport), I'll chug a big milk and be good for ages. Plus, I'm guessing if you're making a lot of milk, milk (albeit from a different species) might be a wise thing to get more of.

WESTOFTHEHUDSON

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »
I like snacks that transport easily and can be made ahead of time. I would suggest hummus (and you can dip anything in it or spread it on anything) as well as energy balls. The recipe is really flexible but it basically consists of a nut butter, dash of salt, honey and then you could add dark chocolate or flax or wheat germ, sunflower seeds, flax,coconut, really anything you wanted. Then mix it together and using your hands or a scoop, shape into a ball. My kids love them and I'll make several dozen at a time and freeze them and then put a few in a travel container when I need them on the go.

yoga mama

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 07:30:48 PM »
@WESTOFTHEHUDSON - thanks for this idea!  I am going to start making those snacks too! 

I make hummus using Alton Brown's recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/hummus-for-real-recipe.html
It is super easy and much cheaper than the expensive packaged hummus we were buying.  I use bulk dry chickpeas, just rinse them and then leave them in the crockpot overnight, cover them with lots of water and when you wake up if they look like they need more just add more.  You could make a ton of hummus and then freeze some of it.  And dip any veggie or chip in it, or follow my 2 year old's lead and scoop it and eat it with your hands.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 07:52:51 PM »
Thanks all, helpful!  Keep 'em comin'.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!