Author Topic: Smart phone recommendations  (Read 2525 times)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Smart phone recommendations
« on: September 29, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
Mr. FP are taking the leap into smart phones finally! We are going with Ting. He ordered a last year Moto X from Glyde--but he got the last one! They are sold out now.

Can anyone recommend more or less similar (as far as price--$150 on Glyde--and capabilities) that might be readily available on Glyde? I'm a bit at sea with smart phones.

unseenstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Smart phone recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
If you just stay a year or two behind the times with the major models.  You can get something like an Iphone 4s or Samsung Galaxy S3 for roughly that price.  I did a quick search on glyde and one used in good condition is around the $150 range.  Those are the two most popular phone models and either would most likely work out fine for you.   

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 02:21:14 PM »
My opinionated views on the matter:

Android support is atrocious. It's a great platform, but not a single handset maker seems inclined to provide regular updates. Going the vanilla route is good as it usually guarantees one or two minor updates. You can always go the CyanogenMod route but lose all 5 apps from the Play Store that are actually useful.

Samsung is HORRIBLE at this. They dump dozens of different handsets each year and support absolutely nothing. Just buy a new, shinier, better one, they say. Build quality is usually very poor and will not survive repeated drops, even with a case.

Apple makes great product at impossible price points. I've only used them when given away by friends who upgraded. Windows phone lacks real support in the apps space, so they don't get any users, and nobody wants to develop for a platform.without users. I don't see them succeeding.

tl;dr they all stink

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:02:14 PM »
Moto G is pretty well priced, although the cameras are crap.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:11:08 PM »
I'm relatively new to the smart phone thing, I have a R.W. MotoX and am happy with it.

Can you get another MotoX from somewhere else and use it with Ting?