Author Topic: Small side hustle idea. Question on pricing. (Photography related)  (Read 3348 times)

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
My parents live in a touristy area and have recently decided to move and rent out their lake house on a weekly basis. My husband is a very amateur photographer but has taken some beautiful pictures of the area, specifically the view of the lake and mountains from my dads deck. I was thinking we could frame a few of his prints and ask my dad to use them to decorate the house. We could then put some prices next to the prints if people wanted to purchase them. I have a couple of questions.

1) what are your thoughts on this idea? Does it sound like something that could work? We are not looking to make a fortune. I am mostly looking to encourage my husbands photgraphy hobby.
2) what should I consider for pricing?
3) where should I get the prints done? I'm thinking of something more high quality than wal mart.

Thanks in advance for any thought/ideas/suggestions! :) in the meantime, I'll try to dig up one of the pics he has taken.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Small side hustle idea. Question on pricing. (Photography related)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 08:11:02 AM »
Here's one of his pics

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »
Here's another

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 08:50:57 AM »
3) where should I get the prints done? I'm thinking of something more high quality than wal mart.

His photography is gorgeous! 

I don't have much to contribute except that I sell on Etsy and I see a lot of chatter in the forums and teams by photographers discussing the quality and pricing of various online printing companies.  Maybe hunt around there for some printing leads?

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 10:34:45 AM »
I think that's a great idea!

Costco is great for prints of various sizes. I really like their canvas prints, but those are obviously more expensive.

As far as pricing goes, I would consider how much it costs you to print/size of the photo, whether or not it will be packed (either flat with a piece of cardboard, or rolled into a tube - the tube will be more expensive), and the kinds of people who frequent that area.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:02:26 AM »

Costco is great for prints of various sizes. I really like their canvas prints, but those are obviously more expensive.

As far as pricing goes, I would consider how much it costs you to print/size of the photo, whether or not it will be packed (either flat with a piece of cardboard, or rolled into a tube - the tube will be more expensive), and the kinds of people who frequent that area.

I wasn't really thinking of shipping, if that's what you mean. I was thinking they could just take the framed print from the house when they leave.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:52:14 AM »
Thanks for bringing this up; it reminded me that I've considered maybe looking into selling my photos on Etsy. For myself and others who might be interested, and for your husband if/when his business takes off, rather than having a photo printed locally and then shipping it yourself, can you just have it printed by one of the many online companies, which could then ship it directly to the customer? I've had a lot of canvas and aluminum prints done for myself this way, and it seems like all you'd have to do is change the shipping address and collect payment from the customer. Is this feasible? I don't know if you'd get into issues with having a third party involved when you're selling through Etsy.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »

I wasn't really thinking of shipping, if that's what you mean. I was thinking they could just take the framed print from the house when they leave.

I wasn't referencing shipping either :) If it's framed then that's a way to transport it. I would offer to have some sort of packing for it... how would people transport it in their luggage to take back home? That's why I mentioned the cardboard or the tubes.

pk_aeryn

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 12:47:27 PM »
Honestly, they're just ok.  They need some color corrections and adjustments to make them pop better - the colors are muddy.  Fog is difficult.

That being said, i can see if someone had a great time at the lake and wanted a souvenir photo of their trip, but I would price them low accordingly so long as you can make a small profit off the printing.  Having them in the cabin is a good idea.  If that sells well you could adjust the price higher until you find a price point where they sell consistently and it's worth your efforts to print and frame them.  Would most ppl visiting that house be driving their own car it wouldn't be a hassle to take a print back with them.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 01:10:49 PM »
That's a great (and easy) idea!

I would first check a local photography store or camera store if you have one. Where do they recommend for having it done?

Second, the previous poster has a point they could be edited a bit, but also your customers won't always have a particular eye for well-edited photos. They're already nice enough many people will like them. But it's also a great skill to learn and to develop your eye for it. . By learning a bit of editing they could be better... but it may or may not be worth the trade off of time as well.

Third, don't price too low! A photo will often sell for a higher price more than a lower one. Maybe check typical tourist shops and see what the going rate is that they will see in other areas.

Fourth, if you can have an assortment of framed gorgeous prints around the house for a higher premium, and then a beautiful sea grass basket (or similar) with nicely packaged unframed photos, you may have people spring for the relative "deal" of the unframed photo. Classic pricing tactic because it works :)

Edited for bad iPhone typing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:13:08 PM by MBot »

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »
I think the photos are edited. Lol

The people who visit the house would be driving, so I figure if they want the print, they would just take it down and put it in their car when they leave. The basket is a good idea too.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »
Good idea, Slappy.

Here are my suggestions,
invest in one well done canvas in a larger size and a couple canvas prints in a smaller size (12 by 16 or so). Consider those canvas prints your business investment - advertising budget:), that you may or may not ever get back. Hang them in a prominent spot where they hopefully will not be damaged.
Consider that the condition of the canvas/prints may suffer over time and people will want brandnew, unless you display them shrink wrapped:)

I use FAA, Fine Art America - I have a website with them ($30 annually-well worth it), they print up my photography however my buyers prefer, on aluminium, canvas or fine art paper, framed or unframed. They do a fantastic job and offer a no questions asked return policy. Yes, I've had prints returned. I will say that it helps to have good equipment and good editing skills.
They also offer greeting cards and a ton of personal prints from T-shirts to Mugs and they now own a couple of other websites and have contracts with Disney movies - wouldn't it be fab to see your print on the wall in one of the Disney movies?
Anyway they do a lot and there is a good forum, to ask questions and connect with other photographers. I'm not active, so it is a wonder I ever sell anything at all:), it is high time for me to update my site.

Every once in awhile, I get a notice that I sold a print or whatever - you have some say in the price of your photography and overall, I'm happy with them. In order to make money you do need to get the word out, constantly be active in a myriad of ways.
If you are a small community with a tourist office, you might consider setting up something with them - a mini show wall and you guessed it, another basket of 8x10 prints:)

You could just order one print or a set of greeting cards to see for yourself and then decide. They sell internationally - which was the reason I wanted to go with them, the more exposure the better.

I would hazard to guess that selling 8x10 prints in a pretty basket is probably going to be your money maker, $10, $20/25 seem to be the magic number people want to spend. The larger canvas prints will be the icing on the cake - a lot will depend on your clientele, their tastes and good choices.
People are lazy, offer to have any larger prints or canvas shipped to them, as a lovely reminder of their holiday.
It pays to look around and find someone to print at a great price - more money for you.
There are plenty of companies online, but not all are created equal.

Oh and about the frames - don't, people have their own ideas and while they might like the print, your choice of frame might not compliment their interior. Unless it is for an exhibition or a competition that requires a frame (they usually have their own criteria) I no longer bother with frames on any work on display.
Setting up a website was the best thing I ever did, it forced me to organize my photos and I could see the areas where my skills progressed over time, where my strength lay or not at all:) It's easy to delete and add, but it is work to edit and stay engaged:)
Looking at it today, I realize it is time to clean house again.
Good Luck!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:40:40 PM by Rosy »

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 09:10:53 AM »
Good idea, Slappy.

Here are my suggestions,
invest in one well done canvas in a larger size and a couple canvas prints in a smaller size (12 by 16 or so). Consider those canvas prints your business investment - advertising budget:), that you may or may not ever get back. Hang them in a prominent spot where they hopefully will not be damaged.
Consider that the condition of the canvas/prints may suffer over time and people will want brandnew, unless you display them shrink wrapped:)

I use FAA, Fine Art America - I have a website with them ($30 annually-well worth it), they print up my photography however my buyers prefer, on aluminium, canvas or fine art paper, framed or unframed. They do a fantastic job and offer a no questions asked return policy. Yes, I've had prints returned. I will say that it helps to have good equipment and good editing skills.
They also offer greeting cards and a ton of personal prints from T-shirts to Mugs and they now own a couple of other websites and have contracts with Disney movies - wouldn't it be fab to see your print on the wall in one of the Disney movies?
Anyway they do a lot and there is a good forum, to ask questions and connect with other photographers. I'm not active, so it is a wonder I ever sell anything at all:), it is high time for me to update my site.

Every once in awhile, I get a notice that I sold a print or whatever - you have some say in the price of your photography and overall, I'm happy with them. In order to make money you do need to get the word out, constantly be active in a myriad of ways.
If you are a small community with a tourist office, you might consider setting up something with them - a mini show wall and you guessed it, another basket of 8x10 prints:)

You could just order one print or a set of greeting cards to see for yourself and then decide. They sell internationally - which was the reason I wanted to go with them, the more exposure the better.

I would hazard to guess that selling 8x10 prints in a pretty basket is probably going to be your money maker, $10, $20/25 seem to be the magic number people want to spend. The larger canvas prints will be the icing on the cake - a lot will depend on your clientele, their tastes and good choices.
People are lazy, offer to have any larger prints or canvas shipped to them, as a lovely reminder of their holiday.
It pays to look around and find someone to print at a great price - more money for you.
There are plenty of companies online, but not all are created equal.

Oh and about the frames - don't, people have their own ideas and while they might like the print, your choice of frame might not compliment their interior. Unless it is for an exhibition or a competition that requires a frame (they usually have their own criteria) I no longer bother with frames on any work on display.
Setting up a website was the best thing I ever did, it forced me to organize my photos and I could see the areas where my skills progressed over time, where my strength lay or not at all:) It's easy to delete and add, but it is work to edit and stay engaged:)
Looking at it today, I realize it is time to clean house again.
Good Luck!

What website do you use?

Shwaa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »
I agree with the above poster.  Invest in some nice canvas prints to hang around the cabin, and then set up a website where the prints/canvases can be ordered from.   Maybe stick a business card or something under or near each canvas. 

I use Zenfolio as the website for my side-photography business.  Very nice format and layout, they take a 10% cut of all sales but they handle EVERYTHING.  All I have to do is load my pictures.  They take care of ordering/printing/shipping for the customers.  I think it's $165/year unlimited storage, I get that money back easily though from sales.   SmugMug is another similar choice you could look into.