Author Topic: Slow travel in a (sort of) post covid world. Anyone doing it?  (Read 5941 times)

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
Slow travel in a (sort of) post covid world. Anyone doing it?
« on: November 22, 2022, 07:48:19 PM »
About 3 years ago I had started plans to do some longer term slow travel overseas with no time limit starting early spring 2020. Mostly using public transit and hiking/ biking. Staying in hostels or short term rentals. Covid stopped that but I'am now thinking of resuming my plans. Sold the house awhile ago, got rid of nearly everything including car, my last pupper passed and I'm newly unattached (as of today..gulp!) so free to go asap.

Is anyone else doing something similar in this not-quite-post-pandemic world? I'm still unsure of any risks and potential problems in other nations so would like to hear your experiences and advice.

ETA a bat signal to @EndlessJourney
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 07:52:07 PM by spartana »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
Re: Slow travel in a (sort of) post covid world. Anyone doing it?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 07:52:18 PM »
I don't know about other countries, but don't come to China anytime soon. The restrictions and regulations are strict, and they're constantly changing.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 09:22:13 PM »
I've only just started travelling again (normally, not slow travel), but South Korea is doing pretty well - we took buses and trains all over the place with no issues. It seems like rules change very fast and if you were doing longer term travel visiting a lot of different places, you would definitely want to keep an eye out for announcements - probably a good idea to include a lot of flexibility into your plans/routing. When we went to Korea, for example, they had just dropped the outdoor mask mandate but kept the indoor one, required us to book an arrival Covid test at the time we booked out flights but dropped the requirement a week later, had to register with the government three days ahead of the flight to fill out a health questionnaire and get QR codes, and there were no vaccination requirements. The next country over will have totally different requirements. So it can be a bit of a headache trying to get everything right.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 02:01:58 AM »
Also, different airlines may have different requirements for boarding, so make sure you call the airline a few days before your flight to ensure that you’ve taken all the necessary steps to board your flight, for example, filling out the right forms, submitting the right documentation, and getting the necessary NAT tests within the appropriate timeframes. And beware that those regulations and requirements may change with little notice.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 05:09:50 AM »
I got nothing to contribute re. your question, but wanted to say how sorry I am about your pupper. I know that's a tough loss. Also sorry to hear about your newly single status (well, I'm sorry about that if you are).

Looking forward to hearing about your travel adventures!!

mindysimmons

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 08:44:55 AM »
Would like to, and am keen to start in the New Year. Thinking of starting with a month-long trip to Malaysia (somewhere we're somewhat familiar with) to see how we cope before we plan anything else. We're remote working and home schooling (started both because of the pandemic), so I feel that if we don't do it now, we never will. Will hopefully escape some of the UK winter too.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 09:02:01 AM »
My mom was just in Egypt for a week, Lebanon for a week, and is now in Spain. Doesn’t seem like there were any issues. I think the need for NATs depends on the country, but if you do need one it seems like they’re fairly easy to get.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 09:05:23 AM »
I have a hunch that most places are c less anti-mask than the US. Sorry to hear about the Barkinator. Our old dog is nearing the end, so perhaps they'll be friends in Little Barking Dog Heaven. As to the BF, better to part amicably than be unhappy together. Good for you for holding to your vision for the future.

Happy travels, wherever you go. I'd like to spend a good chunk of time in AUS/NZ/TAZ. It's such a vast area to cover with relatively little Covid and fairly cohesive rules. Lots of border crossings {i.e. small countries) complicates things.

mindysimmons

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 09:57:28 AM »
My mom was just in Egypt for a week, Lebanon for a week, and is now in Spain. Doesn’t seem like there were any issues. I think the need for NATs depends on the country, but if you do need one it seems like they’re fairly easy to get.
Those were some areas I'd like to start with - fly to Spain asap  (lived there for almost a year so familiar) go to the Middle East and North Africa and then back to Spain and north thru out Europe. But... I'm really unsure what the various covid protocols are (or even visa requirements) so need to do some research.

At this point my understanding is that I don't need visas for any EU country if using UK passport (not sure how that works with US citizens though) and can just hop on a plane from the US to Europe, and travel within Europe, without requiring a covid test or visas. I assume I can get visas for other counties while in Europe. Is this true?

I've just checked and from what I can see, there seems to be no Covid test requirements for entry to most (if not all) European countries at the moment (checked Spain, Portugal, France, Malta, Germany). No visas needed on a UK passport, but the only thing that may affect you, since Brexit, is that you are only allowed to stay in the Schengen zone for up to 90 days in a 180-day period without a visa. Bit gutted about that, tbh.
https://www.gov.uk/visit-eu-switzerland-norway-iceland-liechtenstein/how-long-stay-without-visa

mindysimmons

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 10:59:38 AM »

Too bad as that's the option I was counting on for longer stays. If that's the case could I just travel around Europe for 90 days and then stay in the UK longer if I wanted?  I had thought of getting a 3 month Eurail Pass (around $900) to use so that could work. I had used a 2 month one many years ago and loved the ease but I think you can only use it with a US passport, not sure.

Yes - I think that would work - guess with a UK passport, you can stay in the UK as long as you want (pretty sure Ireland too)! Think you can go in and out of the EU/Schengen zone as much as you like, so long as you don't exceed the 90 days in the 180 day period. I'm from the UK, and we can buy/use Interrail passes for train travel in Europe (not sure how prices compare to Eurail). I don't think it covers train travel in the UK though.  https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/interrail-passes/global-pass/

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 12:10:42 PM »
I can't slow travel quite yet, but I was in Germany for a bit this summer and everything felt completely normal except for having to wear masks on public transit. That rule has been dropped now, and no testing required for flying in or out from US. I'm about to leave for Italy and from my research, things are back to normal there, too. Whatever you do, do not overstay the 90 day rule. Make plans to leave a few days early, because they do not care that you had to stay extra days because you broke your ankle. They take the Schengen Rules very seriously. Enjoy the excellent dollar to Euro exchange rate!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 01:32:01 PM »
I went to Ireland in June and in April will be going to 4 European countries. There’s no mask or testing required as of now. I don’t like to slow travel so can’t speak to that. I don’t like to be gone longer than 2 weeks. So sorry about your sweet pup and breaking up with your partner is also very hard. I should know as I have been married 3xs:)).

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 01:35:56 PM »
In 2023 British citizens will need to start using the ETIAS waiver system for EU travel.

https://etias.com/etias-requirements/etias-for-british-citizens

If you are interested in Ireland, UK citizens can stay and work there as long as they want through the Common Travel Area.

Also being a UK citizen means you can get a long term rental agreement in the UK.  This isn't allowed for people without the proper visas or citizens.  Also if you intend to settle and not just visit, the NHS would be immediately available.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 01:43:09 PM by jim555 »

travel2020

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2022, 02:59:22 PM »
I can’t speak to the slow travel part but have taken multiple trips to countries in Europe and Asia this year (after a 2 year break), and things are mostly back to normal. In some places, most people still wear masks but that’s an easy adjustment. As someone said previously, China seems to be the big exception at the moment.

Re your question about dual citizenship, you would need to use your US passport when re-entering US (and presumably the UK one when entering UK) but can choose whichever works best while traveling around the world. Some countries have more favorable visa options for US vs UK and vice versa (visa-free entry, stay duration, fees, etc.) so helps to do some research.

Safe travels!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 03:36:06 PM »
Our slow travel through the Americas by campervan was interrupted a couple of years ago in Mexico, where we still are. Then after crisscrossing the entire country from north to south and east to west, we decided we really liked Mexico and we put our travel projects on hold. We recently decided we wanted to settle here, bought a lot by the ocean, and will build a little casita in 2023, all cash which is the norm in Mexico. As a lifelong nomad and "home-less" pretty much since birth (I fled my country at age four with my parents at the end of a civil war, will never go back, lived on three continents and several countries but since then never had a sense of belonging...), I am starting to have cold feet looking ahead with this scary project, even if I am happiest in Mexico than anywhere else in the world...still, I am itchy to get back on the road and find our way through Central and South America, I am just waiting to see how much cash I'll be left with after we finish our project...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 03:38:32 PM by YK-Phil »

Pookie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2022, 05:56:30 PM »
So happy you are in the position to travel. I still have 4 dogs and well.....

Just got back this weekend from 3 weeks in Barcelona. WOW!! WOW!! I'd go back and live in a heartbeat! (One of my rescue dogs is a Pit-mix. Seems he wouldn't be welcome in lots of places :( )

Masks are required on most all public transport but probably @ 50% wore them on the Metro. I had no issues whatsoever with Covid/masks, etc.

We flew down to Marbella from Barcelona - $30 round trip. Public transport is so easy to use (as you know.) Great wine for 2euros! Loved it! I like how the environment is in the forefront with recycling, no (no many) plastic bags, composting, public transport, etc. The food was amazing! People somewhat friendly but no one was rude. The weather was perfect. I felt safe out at night but wasn't out really late. Pick pocketing is a big thing but I had no problems. Two of my female friends were accosted but both happened really late and night and they were both drunk. In both instances, they were not hurt- only took their phones.

If I can answer any specific questions, please let me know.

I think.......all the signs are there. Nothing holding you back - GO!!

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2022, 08:50:42 AM »
I can't slow travel quite yet, but I was in Germany for a bit this summer and everything felt completely normal except for having to wear masks on public transit. That rule has been dropped now, and no testing required for flying in or out from US. I'm about to leave for Italy and from my research, things are back to normal there, too. Whatever you do, do not overstay the 90 day rule. Make plans to leave a few days early, because they do not care that you had to stay extra days because you broke your ankle. They take the Schengen Rules very seriously. Enjoy the excellent dollar to Euro exchange rate!
Curious what they do if you miss that deadline. Off to the Gulag with you Amerikan riff-raff!! Ok maybe just kick you out with a no re-entry allowed stamp on your passport ;-).  That's great to hear that there aren't any restrictions even though I'd likely mask myself in crowded places.

It depends on how long you over stay and which country you are leaving from. It is usually a fine, but can also be deportation and a ban from reentry. Even if you don't get in trouble as you are leaving, they keep track of people who have over stayed and it can lead to a hassle the next time you want to go back. Some countries (Germany)are very strict and will deport or even take you into custody. Others (Greece) have high fines.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2022, 11:52:20 AM »
I was in Egypt last month.  No restrictions and no tests or vaccinations required.  The only people I saw wearing masks other than us were a few other tourists.

Edited to add:  I'd definitely get a QR code that would prove my vaccination status.  That's what Egypt required until it dropped the requirement. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 11:54:49 AM by Catbert »

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2022, 04:12:54 PM »
UK passport is like any other 3rd country passport now, no advantage to it for EU travel. 

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 10:04:37 AM »
ETA: Anyone know about the further eastern countries like Romania, Albania, Turkey, Serbia etc? Are they still inexpensive? Safe for solo women? Easy to use public transit or bike?

This isn't on your list, but I found Hungary to be a nice place.  I wouldn't describe it as cheap, but it certainly felt affordable -- I lived in Tampa, FL at the time (about 5 years ago) and the prices felt comparable.  I found public transportation to be very easy to use (at least in Budapest), although I also did a lot of walking.  And I didn't have a bike with me, but I definitely felt like it would be a good place to bike.  Budapest might not be great, but it seemed like there were good trails and facilities along the Danube.  I met a bunch of folks who were biking and camping up and down the Danube.  I can't speak to the solo woman side of things.  The people I met were all friendly, but some of the Hungarians I became friendly with did share about intolerance they'd witnessed or experienced (towards immigrants, LGBT, etc.).

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 10:54:18 AM »
^^^Well, Egypts "visa" involved paying $25 US cash only at the Cairo airport upon arrival.  I've been to numerous countries in Europe and never had to get a visa (that I recall.)  This may be different for longer visits.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2022, 10:58:29 AM »
Apparently Americans can stay in France up to 180 days, not sure how that works to combine with the other Schengen stuff though.

AFAIK you should always enter and leave a country you're a national of with that country's passport. Eg for Canada, as a citizen I am not allowed to visit with my UK passport. If I was flying from the UK I'd leave with the UK passport and present the Canadian on landing.

Lots of random info https://livein10countries.com/90-days-in-europe-schengen-visas/

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2022, 09:00:49 PM »

I am now wondering if I need a different phone. I just use a cheap pay as you go Tracfone and don't know how it would work internationally. They do have an international plan but a new better phone might work much better at a lower cost.

Your best bet is probably to buy a local SIM card when you arrive. That's usually cheaper than most US carriers' international plans, although it depends on how long you're staying, how much you use your phone, etc. As for whether the phone itself will work, assuming the phone is unlocked, then if it's a fairly recent model (last 3-4 years) it will probably work, but to be safe try Googling to see if there are any known issues with your specific model in your specific destination(s). If it's not unlocked, you might be able to get your carrier to unlock it for you.

(I've gotten around this entire hassle by using Google Fi with a phone listed on their site as compatible, but there are several disadvantages, including high plan cost relative to prepaid, and the fact that Fi has been known to disconnect users who spend too much time abroad.)

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2022, 01:32:25 PM »
Lots of countries require proof of outward travel (outbound plane ticket) when you enter.  You would need to verify that before your journey.

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2022, 01:54:50 PM »
The countries welcoming US tourists now -- and some resources for your visit:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-international-travel-covid-19/index.html

Most are linked to the U.S. embassies in those countries.

Basically, most European countries are fully open (almost) without any restriction. Most SE Asian countries are open, but you may be asked to show vaccination cards or fill out some forms before entering. Many people in Asian countries wear masks although not required officially. So bring your masks, they may be needed on buses, trains, or airplanes.

When you are leaving a hotel and get on your travel, check the following four essential items:  passport, wallet (cash and ATM/credit cards), cell phone, and vaccination card. Other things can be bought if lost or forgotten.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2022, 02:41:57 PM »
You can fly to London on a one way since you are not under immigration control (with a UK passport), then fly to the Eurozone with a R/T, which should be cheap from London.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 02:45:48 PM by jim555 »

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2022, 03:17:24 PM »
The countries welcoming US tourists now -- and some resources for your visit:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-international-travel-covid-19/index.html

Most are linked to the U.S. embassies in those countries.

Basically, most European countries are fully open (almost) without any restriction. Most SE Asian countries are open, but you may be asked to show vaccination cards or fill out some forms before entering. Many people in Asian countries wear masks although not required officially. So bring your masks, they may be needed on buses, trains, or airplanes.

When you are leaving a hotel and get on your travel, check the following four essential items:  passport, wallet (cash and ATM/credit cards), cell phone, and vaccination card. Other things can be bought if lost or forgotten.
That's a great site with ALOT of the info I am looking for. Looks like, with a few exceptions, everything is pretty open (besides China) as far as covid goes - although that may change after the holidays as cases seem to be on the rise again in many places (here for example).

Because I haven't travelled internationally in more than a decade, and going solo (how I like it) I'm  doing the "easy" stuff first (i.e. bike and bus/rail touring and camping, hostels or longer term AirBnBs in uber safe Europe) before going to the Middle East and Africa. Pretty much budget travelling too but a few luxuries here and there.

I was in Balkans and other European countries for three weeks in May. I mostly used booking.com to book inexpensive rooms and apartments in Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro, similar to AirBnBs. But it did not seem to work well in Switzerland and other developed countries, so I booked formal hotels there. I was travelling solo in SE Asian countries for more than a month in October, hotel rooms there were about 50% of their pre-pandemic prices, using agoda.com in Asia. But things may change soon as more travelers are going to Thailand and other SE Asian countries. (Tripadvisor's discussion forum is also a good place to know up-to-date information for a place you want to go).

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2022, 04:02:19 PM »
Lots of countries require proof of outward travel (outbound plane ticket) when you enter.  You would need to verify that before your journey.
Just checked and looks like the requirement in Schengen countries. That makes it difficult as I was planning to just get a one way flight and then go overland from there once my time was up. I guess I can buy a R/T ticket and just not use the return portion (or change it to another destination). Probably not much added expense and a good emergency plan in case I need or want  to.go back to Calif. Thanks for the tip as I was only looking at one way fares.

You can buy a refundable one-way exit fare, show it to whomever you need to show it to, then cancel it, get your money back, and exit whenever and wherever you like (within the rules).

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2022, 02:23:49 AM »
You can fly to London on a one way since you are not under immigration control (with a UK passport), then fly to the Eurozone with a R/T, which should be cheap from London.

Maybe you could fly into London and then use your euro rail pass to take the train to Paris with a reservation for returning in about 86 days. I think that train is included in the euro rail global pass (with reservation).

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2022, 04:35:25 AM »
As of now, because I'm lazy and don't want to deal with a lot of issues,  I'm just going to plan on 90 days in (mostly Southern) Europe with a 90 day Eurail Pass and will get a R/T plane ticket. Once there I can probably find a way to stay longer if I want so I can start bike touring and camping further north in April. Or come back in Fall for another 3 months and spend late spring and summer somewhere else. After that...????
Please don't just assume that you will be able to get around the Schengen visa limits.  It will not be easy to do that and if you break the rules you may find that you are banned for life from visiting the Schengen area.  I guess if you would be happy with "once and done" then you could do that, but having a Schengen ban on your passport may cause difficulties for you at other international borders.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/

Time spent in Europe but outside the Schengen area includes the UK, Ireland, Romania, Bulgaria and most of the Balkans.  Everywhere in that list except the UK and Ireland will be cheap and good for e.g. mountain hiking in summer and reasonably safe for a solo female traveller (Serbia/Kosova is a bit tense generally at the moment though).

Interrail/eurorail sounds ideal for you.  I did some interrailing around Europe years ago and loved it.

Please be aware if you are relying on reading rather than speech that the further east and south you go you may have to read cyrillic or greek script and if you go to North Africa or the Middle East then arabic script.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2022, 12:05:22 PM »
If you have a UK passport you can't come in on a US tourist visa, you are exempt from UK immigration control as a citizen.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2022, 12:27:49 PM »
If you have a UK passport you can't come in on a US tourist visa, you are exempt from UK immigration control as a citizen.
Hmmm....I'll have to check it more closely as it seemed that I could choose to use my US passport (and am a US citizen) rather then the UK passport and don't need a visa for entry and could stay up to 6 months on the US passport. It seemed like the least hassle since I don't plan to stay in the UK too long. I read somewhere that if you are a US citizen but a dual passport holder you need to fly in and out of the UK from the US using your US passport.
Technically they should never issue that visa in the first place since it is invalid.  Real world who knows what happens?

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2022, 12:43:14 PM »
This one is from the US State Dept:

"U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law."
Yes, you should always enter in on the passport you are citizen of.  So when you enter the US come in on US.  When you enter the UK, use the UK.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2022, 01:06:41 PM »
That state department site is confusing.  "U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States." - There is no legal requirement or permission to leave the US, you just leave.  I don't know what they mean by this actually.  What the airline cares about is when you land that you have permission to stay and will not be turned back, then they get fined. 

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2022, 04:57:11 PM »
@spartana , I hope you'll consider starting a journal about your travels. You know we love that kinda thing around here. I'm excited for you. What are you going to do between now and your flight date?

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2022, 05:08:32 PM »
@spartana , I hope you'll consider starting a journal about your travels. You know we love that kinda thing around here. I'm excited for you. What are you going to do between now and your flight date?

I'd love to follow your slow adventures.   If you do set up a journal,  please come back here and give us a link.

Poeirenta

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2022, 11:27:24 PM »
Since you like hiking, definitely check out the GR 34 in Brittany. Beautiful coastal walks, some cliff-y, some beachy. You will appreciate the volunteer coast guard stations (basically badass boathouses). Our favorite sections were the Pink Granite Coast (côte de granit rose), the Crozon peninsula, and the Quiberon peninsula.

We are going back to Portugal next year because we had such a great time hiking in the Algarve and Alentejo this year. We joined lots of hikes/walks organized by folks in the Hiking Algarve facebook group.

I love how many well-marked trails there are in Europe. Now if they could just get people to stop leaving their toilet paper everywhere! Blech.

Have you poked around to see what facebook groups are in the areas you want to go? We hooked up with a couple of volunteer opportunities through FB groups too, and found it a really enjoyable way to socialize  and give back. I don't love FB but some FB groups can be pretty helpful.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2022, 10:43:01 AM »
Speaking of money on travel - especially long term travel - what kind of spending or budget do people here (frugal mustachians) set up for that? I set up $20k total for a year but am flexible with that. I think @2Birds1Stone had a similar spend for his recent trip.

Check out Kristy and Bryce’s Millennial Revolution blog. They’ve been doing the slow travel thing for years. I think it was around USD$20K / CDN$30k.

This is a recent article they did listing their expenses for a year of slow travel.
https://www.millennial-revolution.com/freedom/how-travelling-saves-you-money/

They have other posts written over the years detailing expenses in the different countries they’ve visited as well.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 10:45:35 AM by Freedomin5 »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2022, 11:12:31 AM »
Since you like hiking, definitely check out the GR 34 in Brittany. Beautiful coastal walks, some cliff-y, some beachy. You will appreciate the volunteer coast guard stations (basically badass boathouses). Our favorite sections were the Pink Granite Coast (côte de granit rose), the Crozon peninsula, and the Quiberon peninsula.

We are going back to Portugal next year because we had such a great time hiking in the Algarve and Alentejo this year. We joined lots of hikes/walks organized by folks in the Hiking Algarve facebook group.

I love how many well-marked trails there are in Europe. Now if they could just get people to stop leaving their toilet paper everywhere! Blech.

Have you poked around to see what facebook groups are in the areas you want to go? We hooked up with a couple of volunteer opportunities through FB groups too, and found it a really enjoyable way to socialize  and give back. I don't love FB but some FB groups can be pretty helpful.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Definitly want to do (ALL) the long distance walks/hike in Europe. So many to do in every country - and unfortunately a lot less time to do them then I thought. 90 days just isn't enough ;-). I'm really going to try to stay in the UK as long as possible (maybe the full 6 months before going to the Schengen countries) to max out my time and it looks like I will be able to do that.

ETA: Just checked out the "Right to Abode"  in the UK rule for dual UK/US passport holders and as @jim555 said I can stay as long as I want in the UK without requiring a Visa if I enter using that passport. Squeee!

Of course you can, as a British citizen you have the right to be in the UK!!

Edit - but just remember the UK will claim you as tax resident if you're there too long!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:14:12 AM by daverobev »

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2022, 01:27:11 PM »
As a citizen she can get a job (apply for a NI number), open a bank account, or get a long term lease for housing.  Then you would have to worry about two tax returns if you stay too long.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2022, 02:50:26 PM »
The only thing to be aware of as a UK citizen visiting the UK is that you are not eligible for free care on the NHS, that is only for citizens who are permanent residents here.  You will get emergency treatment if you need it but might be charged: the charges will be nothing like the US but still a good idea to have travel insurance that covers it.

You can't claim social security benefits in the UK as you are not resident.  But it looks as though as long as you are in the UK and have an address here you could register to vote in elections!

There are no restrictions on how long you can be here and you can come and go as often as you please.  So you could spend 90 days in the Schengen area, come to the UK for 90 days and then be eligible for a further 90 days in the Schengen area.

To get to the UK from the USA you need both passports, your US one to leave the US before boarding your flight and your UK one when you arrive in the UK.  In reverse you use the UK one to leave and the US one to enter.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2022, 02:52:02 PM »
As a citizen she can get a job (apply for a NI number), open a bank account, or get a long term lease for housing.  Then you would have to worry about two tax returns if you stay too long.

Most people in the UK don't even have to do a tax return, only higher income earners :)

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2022, 04:04:29 PM »
I investigated the NHS and when it becomes free coverage in detail.  The NHS is contingent on one thing, being "ordinarily resident".  It is possible to be covered from day 1 if you come with intent to settle.  I guess you would need to show some proof that would back that up, like you have no place to go back to.  Lease agreement, ownership of housing.  It is not strictly defined since it is a common law definition.  Being a citizen means you have "right of abode".  Someone who is under a visa would need to pay a NHS surcharge to be covered.  Those who are not legally present can never be "ordinarily resident". 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1090896/overseas-NHS-visitors-charging-regulations-guidance-July-2022.pdf

If you are on NHS you can get a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for travel to EU countries.  Also UK has reciprocal health agreements with a few other countries like Australia for treatment.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 07:45:29 PM by jim555 »

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2022, 11:20:08 AM »
Isame.I have no intentions to live there so wouldn't qualify even if I stayed several months as a tourist or short term in a holiday let. Same anywhere else. The grand plan is to travel around ...wherever... for as long as I'd like then eventually return to the US and buy another house. Of course plans can change ;-)!
If you want to come back and buy a house aren't you afraid the prices will go up and price you out forever?

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2022, 07:47:57 PM »
Spartana, my mother did almost a year of slow travel about 8 years ago immediately following her retirement.  She only had a U.S. Passport, so was not able to take advantage of a U.K. Passport but I'll share how she handled things.  She spent the first 90 days in the Schengen zone, no questions asked upon entry from the U.S.  Then, at that time, Croatia was not part of the Schengen (I know they applied - not sure whether they are now or not), so following her 90 days in the Schengen she went to Split, Croatia (ended up being one of her favorite places) and stayed in a beachfront studio apartment for a month.  Thereafter, she went to the U.K. for 90-days.  Upon entry to the U.K., they demanded to see proof of her exit plans.  She had not purchased a return flight to the U.S. yet but they accepted proof of her booked accommodations following her time in the U.K.  She was firmly told to not stay in the U.K. beyond 90 days.

After her time in the U.K. was up, she took the chunnel to Paris and began another 90-days in the Schengen all over again.  She had been out for 120 days at that point, so was well within the 90 out of 180 day rule.  She returned home after completing that stay.

She did not stay in hostels.  She rented studio apartments through Airbnb or Vrbo - obviously we were quite careful about making sure places had a sizable number of reviews before booking and she had criteria as far as laundry facilities, kitchenette, private bathroom, etc. We pre-booked everything well in advance, which meant she was usually booked for a place 90-120 days out.  This may not be as spontaneous as you'd like, but it worked very well for her.

Her budget for monthly lodging was $1500 and this ended up ranging anywhere from $500 for the month in Croatia, to over $2,000/month for her time in London, but overall she stayed within the $1,500/month average for lodging.  At the time of this trip, the Euro & Pound were both much for expensive than they are now.  This was all pre-Covid and I know rates have gone up, but I also know you can do it for less than what my mom paid.  Her entire budget for the year was $30K and she was able to stay within that budget.

You're well traveled and I know you can figure all this out, but if there are any questions you have that I might be able to help with, please feel free to reach out.  I was the travel planner extraordinaire for her trip and, honestly, it's quite a bit of fun to live vicariously through others!  You are going to have a fantastic trip.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2022, 08:02:49 AM »
Spartana, I didn’t even think to mention that my mom did it much like you. She sold her place and all possessions, aside from 5 medium-sized moving boxes of stuff, which she shipped to us to store. She traveled with one small carry-on suitcase and a backpack. It was the perfect amount of travel stuff and she was able to easily navigate cobblestone roads & apartment buildings that didn’t have elevators.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2022, 10:53:54 AM »
Spartana, I didn’t even think to mention that my mom did it much like you. She sold her place and all possessions, aside from 5 medium-sized moving boxes of stuff, which she shipped to us to store. She traveled with one small carry-on suitcase and a backpack. It was the perfect amount of travel stuff and she was able to easily navigate cobblestone roads & apartment buildings that didn’t have elevators.
My sister jokes she has to store ALL my horde of stuff  - one box ;-).  I'm a pretty hardcore minimalist anyways so was very easy to get rid of my few possessions and get it down to one smallish box. I do have my bike and some sports and camping equipment I'll get rid of before going overseas but am using now on my little road trip (have a rented SUV for a month). I'm just planning to take a small carry on backpack and nothing else. Can pick up whatever I need once I arrive. My only "important" item is a good pair of trail running shoes as my current main hobby that I love to do is long distance trail running.  Can double as hiking and some climbing shoes too. Otherwise it will just be some sport clothes and will plan to buy a good bike once I'm in better weather.
Where are you keeping your very important papers like birth certificate, driver's license, passport?  I would be paranoid to loose them.  I thought about a vest pocket or something like that.

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2022, 06:35:02 PM »
My sister jokes she has to store ALL my horde of stuff  - one box ;-).  I'm a pretty hardcore minimalist anyways so was very easy to get rid of my few possessions and get it down to one smallish box. I do have my bike and some sports and camping equipment I'll get rid of before going overseas but am using now on my little road trip (have a rented SUV for a month). I'm just planning to take a small carry on backpack and nothing else. Can pick up whatever I need once I arrive. My only "important" item is a good pair of trail running shoes as my current main hobby that I love to do is long distance trail running.  Can double as hiking and some climbing shoes too. Otherwise it will just be some sport clothes and will plan to buy a good bike once I'm in better weather.
Where are you keeping your very important papers like birth certificate, driver's license, passport?  I would be paranoid to loose them.  I thought about a vest pocket or something like that.
  I have a small pouch I can attach to my bra or inside my pants. That way if Im wearing shorts or a tank top they are pretty easy to conceal and are sewn in so hard to for pick pockets to nab. I wear then now (or cargo style " travel pants" with inside pockets) and they work well. Birth certificate will stay at home in my box but will make a copy in case I need it. I was born in the UK so can also get an official copy there if needed.

ETA: I have one of those little RFID sleeves that holds my drivers license, CC, and some cash - as well room for a few other things - that fits into a Velcro slot in side of a workout bra. Will get something a bit larger for a passport but I think that will be all I need. I don't wear jewelry or carry much else so can have a small pack for extras that aren't of valye. I currently have an inexpensive Tracfone phone which I carry in a zippered pocket in my clothes. I changed my flight date for after the holiday as it was hard to find lodging so will be on my road trip until the 1st then off to Europe 2 weeks after that after the Christmas tourist hordes leave. So a bit more time to figure stuff out.

Keep all valuables in your hotel room. Many of them have a safe. I bought a money belt many years ago, but have never used it.

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2022, 11:25:52 AM »
One bit of updated information: as from 1 January 2023 Croatia will be within the Schengen zone so part of the area you can only spend 90 days in at a time.  Romania and Bulgaria are still out.  All decided by the EU a day ro so ago.