Author Topic: Slippers - what kind?  (Read 6740 times)

Rem08

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Slippers - what kind?
« on: December 02, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »
I'm trying this whole 'keep the thermostat low' thing and read post after post of people talking about the importance of wearing slippers.  I have some old ones that, I swear, actually seem to make my feet feel colder.  I figured this forum might be a good place to find out what kind I should look into.  I'd like, obviously, to keep the price as reasonable as possible, but honestly I mostly just want something that will work and that I won't want to replace right away.  Any suggestions?

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Slippers - what kind?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:49:44 PM »
You don't say if you're a girl or a guy…it would probably make a difference in our specific suggestions. I am female, and just about live in my black Uggs classic short boots. They are great for slippers in my chilly house, and as long as it isn't wet outside, I just leave them on for everything else I do--walks in the park, errands around the town…whatever. I wear them without socks. When I go to bed, I wear ragg wool socks--the real heavy gray ones.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 06:53:04 PM »
Socks work pretty well I used them for years. I just bought a pair of slippers though at costco for $10 and quite like them. Makes me chuckle when I see the ~$100 ones at LL Bean.

Rem08

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »
You don't say if you're a girl or a guy…it would probably make a difference in our specific suggestions. I am female, and just about live in my black Uggs classic short boots. They are great for slippers in my chilly house, and as long as it isn't wet outside, I just leave them on for everything else I do--walks in the park, errands around the town…whatever. I wear them without socks. When I go to bed, I wear ragg wool socks--the real heavy gray ones.

Good point.  I'm a guy but my wife will be getting a pair (not same style though obviously) also. 

I'm one of those people with chronically cold hands and feet, especially in the winter.  I live in the southeast (Arkansas), so I'm not even talking about the kind of winter some of you are used to.  I've tried socks, and even wool socks.  Both are certainly better than nothing but I'm hoping good slippers are the best option. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 07:08:08 PM »
My husband wore the merino blend Gold Toe over-the-calf  socks, and sheepskin- lined moccasins, either from L. L. Bean or L. B. Evans.(The indoor/outdoor ones--so he could go in the garage, or out to pick up the mail.) We kept the thermostat low in a cold climate, and he was comfortable. Pricey slippers, but he wore them forever.

GuitarJim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 07:17:02 PM »
I have a pair of LL Bean fleece slipper socks, which are fantastic.  However, due to back and neck problems, I just had 3 discs fused in my neck and I started using a standup desk for work (I work at home) and needed some real support.  While this may be antimustacian, I splurged for a pair of temper-pedic moccasins and they are incredible.   They were around $80 but I'm confident they will save me a few doctors appointments and pay for themselves.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 07:24:31 PM »
Socks work pretty well I used them for years. I just bought a pair of slippers though at costco for $10 and quite like them. Makes me chuckle when I see the ~$100 ones at LL Bean.
I have a pair of LL Bean knock-offs, which I think were in the $20 range several years ago.  They're bootie-type slippers that cover my ankle and are filled with fake fur of some sort.  They're leather and have a bit of something plastic and tough on the bottom; I occasionally wear them out to pick up the mail.  I LOVE THEM. 

chemgeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
I too have chronic cold feet/hands/nost. I was going to get a pair of the LL Bean ones but when we went to the store I couldn't swallow the $70 price tag (though supposedly the warranty is pretty sweet?). I found the same slipper made by Clark for $25 at TJ Maxx.  Slippers that have a hard bottom as opposed to fabric will keep your feet much warmer.

I also started using a microwave hot pack ( fabric filled with rice or any other grain) to put in the bed at night. They are amazing! I'm no longer warming my feet up on my husband and I swear I'm falling asleep faster because my feet are warmer.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:16:11 AM »
As I write, I am wearing sheepskin slippers and socks.  The thing I would be careful about is the type of sole you buy.  If you have any wood or linoleum surfaces in your house the plain leather soles skid badly.

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »
I put those LL Bean ones on my xmas wish list a few years ago and received them. They are AWESOME. I'm wearing them right now. I don't know if I'd pay $79 for them myself but was happy to get them as a gift.

These are the ones I have:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/23777?feat=511913-GN1&page=women-s-wicked-good-slippers

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 11:40:35 AM »

PlanB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »
I second the LL Bean slippers. Best deal out there as they are truly meant to last forever, and you can return them if/when they wear out for a new pair.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 11:52:17 AM »
My favorite kind of slippers are the furry-lined moccasin type with rubber soles. The ones I have right now are Minnetonka Moccasins I got from my family for Christmas last year. They are looking pretty rough after a year, not like falling apart or anything but they do stain easily (or maybe I'm just a slob? is dripping food on your feet while you cook weird? LOL) so... I don't know.

colganc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »
I and my SO also love the Sorel slippers.  Very warm and comfortable.  The sole is durable and we use it even for going to get the mail, taking the trash can to the curb, and other minimal outdoor activities.  Take a look at the Manawan version as well.  I have a pair of the Manawan's and the Falcon Ridge.  The Manawan is my favorite between the two.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »
I love my uggs slippers.

lielec11

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »
I love my uggs slippers.

Second that. They are like walking on clouds. I have the ascot leather ones which hold up great. I even wear them outside, to the supermarket, etc.

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »
I second the LL Bean slippers. Best deal out there as they are truly meant to last forever, and you can return them if/when they wear out for a new pair.
I've considered purchasing LL Bean wicked good moc boots 2 for 6 months.  The lifetime guarantee is very compelling.  Two 10% off sales have gone by and I still haven't convinced myself to buy.  I would have picked up a $10 pair at costco, but they were out of my size.  Now it's December and my feet are cold :(

I have a tradition of buying an extravagance each time our net worth ticks past the next $100K mark.  Maybe I'll get some slippers $70K from now :)  Completely unreasonable, but i just can't convince myself any slippers are worth $80!