Author Topic: Single-serving, long-life, instant-access treat food?  (Read 13235 times)

MrsPB

• Stubble
Re: Single-serving, long-life, instant-access treat food?
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »
I love those sesame snaps for a sweet treat

bortman

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2017, 11:42:58 AM »
I buy Kind Healthy Grains bars for exactly the criteria that the OP lists.

At a local grocery, or at Target, I can get them for $2.99 for a box of 5. The local grocery sometimes has them for $2.50 a box, so I stock up when they're on sale.

140-170 calories depending on flavor, and they have a bunch of breakfast-y or dessert-y varieties. 

50-60 cents each and they last "forever". Also works well for emergency food.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2017, 01:44:58 PM »
Please keep the suggestions coming!

Buy a jar of peanut butter or, better yet, Nutella.  Get a big spoon.  You take one big spoonful and savor it, but then you can't take another because you would contaminate the jar with mouth germs.  Wash the spoon and your treat is ready for the next craving.  :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2017, 01:46:57 PM »

Buy a jar of peanut butter or, better yet, Nutella.  Get a big spoon.  You take one big spoonful and savor it, but then you can't take another because you would contaminate the jar with mouth germs.  Wash the spoon and your treat is ready for the next craving.  :)

* Washing of the spoon is purely optional     :P

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2017, 01:48:45 PM »
Dip your super dark chocolate squares into a spoonful of peanut butter. :D

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »
I like sunflower seeds.  The ones you have to take the shells off.  Keeps me busy and good for stress eating.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »
I've been impressed by the range of treat foods that are available in every UK supermarket. You can get a box of 5 or 6 little slices of cake, sometimes individually wrapped, for £1.30 at Sainsbury's or £1 at Aldi. For me those aren't really big enough to be a full dessert, though. I like the frosted lemon cake that comes in a big wedge and can be cut to appropriate portions. UK supermarket 'biscuits' are cheaper than US supermarket cookies and at least as good. If I put a set number of cookie/biscuits on a small, pretty plate and make a cup of decaf tea to go with it, that is satisfying enough to deal with the problem of portions or seconds. Usually.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2017, 02:43:09 PM »
I make easy "freezer fudge" that is perfect for a quick, sweet treat!

Supplies: cupcake liners*, almond butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, cocoa powder

I don't measure the ingredients out precisely -- it's more of a "make to taste" sort of recipe. Basically I get a nice, big glop of almond butter, then stir in a spoon of coconut oil, add in a drip of maple syrup, and stir in as much cocoa powder as seems right.

This mixture is then evenly distributed between a few cupcake liners (I like each liner to be about a half-inch full).  The cupcake liners are then placed in the freezer. If you have a muffin tin, you can rest them inside there to avoid having them lose their shape.

The result is something that's a little like fudge and a little like a Reese's peanut butter cup.  Best eaten cold, since they will start to melt. The melt factor also means they stay in the freezer, rather than sitting on a counter top like a batch of brownies. So there's less temptation to gobble up a lot at once.

* If you don't want to buy cupcake liners, instead use some sort of baking dish and spread the mixture out flat. You'll then cut it into squares once it is frozen.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2017, 06:55:45 PM »
These are not healthy, but ideas. Mini marshmallows. Semi sweet chocolate chips. I love choc covered raisins. Jordan almonds. Or a cup of hot chocolate. I have a sweet tooth, but a small amount of any of the above satisfies that. Or a bowl of your favorite cereal with milk.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2017, 07:41:44 AM »

Well, you only need to wash the spoon if you don't finish off the jar of peanut butter in one sitting.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »

Well, you only need to wash the spoon if you don't finish off the jar of peanut butter in one sitting.

I pour chocolate chips directly into the jar of peanut butter and scoop out one or two at a time. #noshame

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2017, 12:17:48 PM »

I pour chocolate chips directly into the jar of peanut butter and scoop out one or two at a time. #noshame

I mix a tub of cool whip (and I don't like to use cool whip!) with about 1/3 cup peanut butter, toss in some chocolate chips or chocolate sauce, and try to limit myself to not eating the whole thing at once.  I should make that again...