Author Topic: Single-serving, long-life, instant-access treat food?  (Read 13236 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Single-serving, long-life, instant-access treat food?
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »
I've been writing down where I spend my personal fun money for the last few months and turns out I spend a good 40% of it on snacks and treat food! I'm fairly good at bringing standard snacks when I'm expecting to need one (peanut butter and oatcakes, apples, nuts...) but sometimes I want a treat to cheer myself up or motivate myself to power through something.

Can you suggest any treat foods which I can make or buy which:
1. Are sweet (chocolate, cake, that sort of thing)
2. Come in single servings at a reasonable price (because who doesn't want a second treat if it's sat right there, right?!)
3. Last for a long time (I can bake my own brownies but then they only last so long, and I'm thinking weekly treat rather than "Hey, there's an entire pan of brownies just sat there...")
4. Require zero prep at time of eating

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Single-serving, long-life, instant-access treat food?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 03:24:49 PM »
I have baked blondies and stuck them in the freezer. Keeps me from eating all of them at once.

lentil

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 04:06:08 PM »
Really dark chocolate (85%+) works for me. It tastes like a treat, but it's not so sweet that I binge on it, so I can break off a few squares and then put the rest out of sight and forget about it. I sometimes find half a bar that's been sitting in the cupboard for months, which really doesn't happen with sweeter things. YMMV, of course.

Most baked goods freeze just fine. I actually wrap ours in tinfoil first, then freeze them, because this somehow magically renders them completely invisible to my partner. If he can see them, he will devour them in a day, but if I use this invisibility cloak, they can stay in our freezer for a pretty long time. Not sure about that I could manage to eat just one brownie a week though!

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 07:25:15 PM »
... but if I use this invisibility cloak...

haha!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 07:29:44 PM »
Really dark chocolate (85%+) works for me.

Same!  But only reaaalllly dark chocolate - less sugar, more fat, more umami maybe :) but I can savor it slowly and that is NOT the case with "normal" sweets. Cookies and brownies will be devoured in a day max.

invisibility cloak

hahahahaha yes!

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 09:12:16 PM »
Costco or Amazon carries individually wrapped dark or milk chocolate squares like this one. A coffee place used to serve one of this brand with each espresso when I went there.

https://m.costcobusinesscentre.ca/Swiss-Dark-Chocolate%2C-1%2C3-kg-(2.8-lb).product.100282787.html

Alternatively, baking chocolate squares are substantial in size and shape to bite on, and come individually wrapped. Much bigger than a "mini" bar but still an 8 pack for one price.  Options for milk or dark or bittersweet too.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 02:02:29 AM »
Am I totally missing the mark if I suggest a little stack of supermarket budget brand bars of chocolate (or premium brand if you prefer; I've got a leather palate and don't notice much difference) at the back of your filing cabinet, one to be released and consumed on each work day?

I keep boxes of Clif Bars and suchlike sport nutrition products at work. They have the advantage that I can pretend they're better for me than chocolate and I'll only eat them if I'm actually hungry and won't reach for a second one, but that means they don't fall within the definition of "treats", though I do have friends who are keen amateur athletes and are always going oh-nommy-nom-nom on Facebook about expensive cereal bars marketed to their demographic.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 02:03:42 AM »
I had thought of baking something and freezing it, but that doesn't help the "I want something NOWWW" moment. Still, maybe worth doing for when I'm anticipating a hard day and I can defrost overnight.

I think I just need to come up with a really good "out of sight out of mind" hiding place and buy some fancypants individually wrapped chocolate bars. I love dark chocolate but the big bars are always "better value", but I think I need to be realistic about whether I can just eat a few squares! I'm wondering about somewhere really inaccessible like under the stairs or in a tin in the garden shed!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 02:44:35 AM »
After Halloween (or the day or two before if the sales have started, while the selection is still good), stock up on bags of candies that appeal to you.  Those are shelf stable for months (or more) and a snack-sized Snickers or KitKat or whatever your treat of choice is would probably just enough to give you a hit of the flavor you crave. 

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 02:47:46 AM »
I think I need to add "a chocolate stash" to the thread about things you used to think you needed but now you don't. I've finally got my head round the fact that if I'm desperate for chocolate and don't have any at home, it takes me 20 minutes to walk the round trip to the nearest Spar. If I can't be bothered, I don't want the chocolate enough. And if it's outwith Spar opening hours, I should go to bed and stop thinking about chocolate.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 08:00:04 AM »
My go to snack is dark chocolate covered almonds. Yum!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 09:07:56 AM »
I had thought of baking something and freezing it, but that doesn't help the "I want something NOWWW" moment. Still, maybe worth doing for when I'm anticipating a hard day and I can defrost overnight.

I think I just need to come up with a really good "out of sight out of mind" hiding place and buy some fancypants individually wrapped chocolate bars. I love dark chocolate but the big bars are always "better value", but I think I need to be realistic about whether I can just eat a few squares! I'm wondering about somewhere really inaccessible like under the stairs or in a tin in the garden shed!
There isn't a place within a 50 mile radius that contains chocolate that is out of my mind.  ;)

I keep ingredients around to make a chocolate mug cake.  It takes a bit of energy to make, so I don't do it all that often.  However, it takes less than 5 minutes and uses staples that I have around anyway.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 09:12:03 AM »
I use clif bars for this purpose because they're sweet, individually packaged and they are good to stick in my bag and have on the run too. I don't kid myself that they are a health food, but they feel better than just having a chocolate bar. Also relatively cheap in bulk at costco.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 09:35:21 AM »
My go to treat is:
Graham cracker, thinly covered with peanut/almond butter, add a few non-dairy choc chips - place in toaster oven to melt chips....

It requires 2 min of prep, so may not fit exactly what you're looking for.  The reason it works for me, is that because it requires just a little bit of work, I don't over indulge.  If there were choc bars (in any size) sitting around, I'd easily consume more than I'd want.

I've also made mini treats of something like cheese cake, brownies, etc. - I purchased special trays for this.  I'll make a batch of something, then stick the rest in the freezer - because they are so small, it only takes about 15 min to thaw.  This way I get something decadent, but it's small enough that I still feel good about eating it - no guilt what so ever!

JanF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 09:57:37 AM »
Asian Chex....be warned, they're more addictive than cocaine

https://spoonuniversity.com/recipe/asian-chex-mix-will-make-rethink-future-snack-choices

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
Aldi has chocolate "bars" that consist of individually wrapped smaller bars.  They are very good value and their dark chocolate is good quality.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 10:15:45 AM »
100% baker's chocolate does it for me.  It'd be easy enough to portion out.  It's nearly impossible to scarf down a bunch at once too, and you feel like absolute shit if you do anyway (fiber and stuff), so I think it fits the bill.

MissMoneyBags

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 11:03:38 AM »
Do you have a microwave? This doesn't quite fulfill your requirement of instant access as it requires a couple of minutes prep. But the thought of having to do those few minutes of "baking", prevents me from having these all the time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mug-Cakes-speedy-cakes-microwave/dp/0857832670/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504198737&sr=8-1&keywords=mug+cakes

If I had cake in the house - even single servings, I would eat it all the time..

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
Do you have a microwave? This doesn't quite fulfill your requirement of instant access as it requires a couple of minutes prep. But the thought of having to do those few minutes of "baking", prevents me from having these all the time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mug-Cakes-speedy-cakes-microwave/dp/0857832670/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504198737&sr=8-1&keywords=mug+cakes

If I had cake in the house - even single servings, I would eat it all the time..
My god, I would 100% recommend against this (no offense, MissMoneyBags!).  When GF and I discovered "mug cakes" we were suddenly having them multiple times a day since they're so damn easy (took us a while to stop).

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 01:18:28 PM »
Still, maybe worth doing for when I'm anticipating a hard day and I can defrost overnight.

It takes 15 minutes for a single blondie to thaw on the counter. Can you really not wait 15 minutes? Are you actually the cookie monster from sesame street?

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »
At the risk of pulling this off topic, have you considering using something other than food to motivate/reward yourself?

edmundblackadder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 01:25:27 PM »
Dried mango. It's pricey enough that I don't buy it often, and it therefore feels like a treat.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 02:00:07 PM »
Chocolate Chip Cookie in a mug (best thing ever during shark week - makes the equivalent of 3-4 cookies)

1tbs melted butter (melts right in the mug)
1tbs brown sugar
1 tbs white sugar
1 egg yolk
1/4c flour
Splash of vanilla (I don't measure... 1tsp maybe?)
Pinch of salt (again, don't measure...)
Chocolate chips (definitely don't measure! Depends on my mood, sometimes there's more chocolate chips than batter)

Stick it in the microwave! Depending on how powerful your machine is will change the time, but it'll probably be anyway from 30-60 seconds. What works best for my weak microwave is 30 seconds, open the door for a few seconds, then another 30 seconds.

But if you need instant, Yodels in the freezer!

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »
Heh. There are time-locked "kitchen safes." Open your treat box, take out one, lock it back down for 22 hours, or whatever. That way you only ding your will power reserves once per day.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »
Chocolate Chip Cookie in a mug (best thing ever during shark week - makes the equivalent of 3-4 cookies)

1tbs brown sugar
1 tbs white sugar
1 egg yolk
1/4c flour
Chocolate chips (definitely don't measure! Depends on my mood, sometimes there's more chocolate chips than batter)

Stick it in the microwave! Depending on how powerful your machine is will change the time, but it'll probably be anyway from 30-60 seconds. What works best for my weak microwave is 30 seconds, open the door for a few seconds, then another 30 seconds.
YUM!!!

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 06:26:48 PM »

1tbs brown sugar
1 tbs white sugar
1 egg yolk
1/4c flour

But if you need instant, Yodels in the freezer!

No baking soda or baking powder?  Most recipes call for one or the other.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 07:29:50 PM »
I will bake a big batch of chocolate cookies and keep them in the freezer.  If I'm really craving one right away, I'll eat it frozen.  Usually I can at least wait a few minutes for it to thaw.

I like dark chocolate covered almonds, but can only eat a few at a time.  So, I can keep a decent sized bag of it around and still go through it very slowly.  Same with a really good Belgian dark chocolate bar.  I can have one bar last for weeks.

Quaker has "dips", or something like that, which are granola bars covered in chocolate.  I liked the ones that had peanut butter.

Pudding might work too.

I'll also make my own trail mix with a container of nuts, chocolate chips, and sometimes raisins.  Again, I can't eat a lot of it, so I can usually just scoop a small container out at a time.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 10:44:55 PM »
oh I like this thread. Where can I get such a "kitchen safe"? :D

Not quite the *food* treat, but I drink-treat on a mug of hot chocolate. It is just enough prep that I don't do it all the time but not so onerous that it counts (to me) as prep.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 02:18:28 AM »
Still, maybe worth doing for when I'm anticipating a hard day and I can defrost overnight.

It takes 15 minutes for a single blondie to thaw on the counter. Can you really not wait 15 minutes? Are you actually the cookie monster from sesame street?

This is just not true. Based on past experiences, it would take an hour for a medium-sized brownie to defrost properly on our counter. Not only do I want zero chance of an icy core, I also want it to be room temperature, not uncomfortably cold.

OK, so I've been thinking about what the problem actually is that I'm trying to solve, and have realised that there are two:

1. Sometimes I know in advance that I have a marathon work day coming up and want something nice for an afternoon snack to perk the day up, but I don't want to either eat a crappy mars bar or pay £2.50 for a fancypants slice of cake. The solution here is clearly overnight defrosting of pre-baked treats. Cheap and no freaky ingredients.

2. Sometimes I have an intense yearning for treat food. Not often, maybe a few times a month. These times, it actually SHOULD be something that requires effort so I can decide whether or not it's worth it. So I just need to figure out my mug cake equivalent and keep the ingredients on hand. No microwave, though!

At the risk of pulling this off topic, have you considering using something other than food to motivate/reward yourself?

I mean, sure, it's an option. But I don't have a problematic relationship with food and I'm not talking a daily thing, more maybe weekly (depends how much I'm working!). I mainly want to reduce the cost and the freaky ingredients. Are their other treats I should consider instead?

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2017, 03:00:25 AM »
Seconding the Aldi chocolate bars. The individual ones are about the size of a Kinder Bueno(?), but better chocolate.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 07:29:24 AM »
No baking soda or baking powder?  Most recipes call for one or the other.

Nope, not for the mug cookie. I can't seem to find the original recipe to see if I've just been accidentally omitting it, but I haven't put in baking soda or powder the last few times I've made it and it turns out fine.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 08:45:54 AM »

I mean, sure, it's an option. But I don't have a problematic relationship with food and I'm not talking a daily thing, more maybe weekly (depends how much I'm working!). I mainly want to reduce the cost and the freaky ingredients. Are their other treats I should consider instead?
Not sure. Haven't thought it through.  I think I do have a somewhat problematic relationship with food. I work at home and I eat all day. If there's food here, especially sweets, I eat it. Thankfully, I'm not someone who tends toward putting on fat or I'd be obese by now.

So, a pick me up other than a snack... Play a favorite song? Go outside and take some fresh air? Some "grown-up alone time" (could take too long if you're trying to get other things done)? Sometimes just a big glass of cold water refocuses me.

And on the original topic - dried fruit. Keep it in a jar in the frig. One or two pieces is great, but I know to stop there or I'll get a bellyached.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 08:59:09 AM »
Have you ever tried Brownie Brittle? It's fantastic and honestly not ridiculously unhealthy. Tastes like the crunchy part of the brownie pan!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 09:07:53 AM »
You are speaking my language, shelivesthedream. I am ALL ABOUT the treats. Quick, easy, and accessible.

Kind makes "mini" 100-calorie bars in a variety of flavors. Individually wrapped, last for months:

Kind Mini Bars

Clif Z Bars are another option. Smaller than regular Clif bars, and a little sweeter.

I second (or third) the recommendation of 100% unsweetened baking chocolate, especially Guittard and Ghirardelli, both of which "feel" right in the mouth, even if they are really bitter. For a less bitter/slightly sweeter option, try Ghirardelli Midnight Reverie (86%) or Endangered Species Black Panther (88%).

If you need a protein boost, Costco's Marcona Almonds are salty deliciousness with lots of good fat and protein.

batemama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »
I apparently am not living my treat life up to the fullest.  My go to, never spoil treats are frosted mini wheats (the knock off brand), trail mix, and goldfish.  I instantly portion them off into snack size baggies and throw some in my desk, pantry, and car.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 09:17:19 AM »
What about individually wrapped ice cream treats? They come in a whole range of healthy (frozen fruit bars) to extremely decadent. I find it much easier to stop with those than ice cream in a container. Trader Joe's has tasty mini-cones that I like very much if you have one of those near you.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 09:22:22 AM »
I've found that frozen date squares keep for 3+ months.  They're cold, but they don't get frozen hard, so they can be immediately eaten when you're in the mood.

Aside from that . . . it takes like 10 minutes to whip up some chocolate chip cookie dough.  It's pretty yummy on it's own, unbaked.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »
2. Sometimes I have an intense yearning for treat food. Not often, maybe a few times a month. These times, it actually SHOULD be something that requires effort so I can decide whether or not it's worth it. So I just need to figure out my mug cake equivalent and keep the ingredients on hand. No microwave, though!
https://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/02/chocolate-lava-cake-for-two-or-one/

Budget Bytes has a few recipes for 1-2 serving desserts. 

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 09:28:54 AM »
Note that the more Mustachian thing to do is to NOT purchase products that are individually wrapped. It is environmentally irresponsible. You could opt for a larger bag and then use re-used baggies to store the servings separately.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 09:48:43 AM »
I've found that frozen date squares keep for 3+ months.  They're cold, but they don't get frozen hard, so they can be immediately eaten when you're in the mood.

Aside from that . . . it takes like 10 minutes to whip up some chocolate chip cookie dough.  It's pretty yummy on it's own, unbaked.

That reminded me of "fudge babies"...

Dates with nuts, chocolate, and a pinch of salt.  Easy to make and taste pretty good.  You can make bars or balls.  I've never tried to freeze them, but I just keep them in a container in the fridge, and throw some in a smaller container if I want to take them to work.  I should make some tonight...

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/10/13/make-these-now/

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 05:41:14 PM »
This is just not true. Based on past experiences, it would take an hour for a medium-sized brownie to defrost properly on our counter. Not only do I want zero chance of an icy core, I also want it to be room temperature, not uncomfortably cold.

Fair enough. I don't have A/C maybe things just thaw faster in my house. I also keep a bag of ghirardelli chocolate chips that I munch on at night.

Not a life worth living imo.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2017, 06:31:00 AM »
Please keep the suggestions coming!

I'm loving the sound of the Budget Bytes Lava Cake - I just need to find some chocolate to keep in the cupboard that I won't want to eat on its own. Something with very "I am for cooking, not eating" packaging.

Alas I can't eat ice cream regularly as I'm mildly lactose intolerant so that is a rare (and carefully-scheduled) treat indeed.

Fair enough. I don't have A/C maybe things just thaw faster in my house.

We don't have AC either. I think it's just...England? Defrosting instructions over here are always "overnight".

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2017, 07:17:30 AM »
For most people lactose intolerance is voluntary.  If you slowly introduce, then increase milk products in your diet over a period of several months it'll usually go away entirely.  (My lactose intolerant wife did this a few years after we started dating and went from tremendous gastric distress at the whiff of milk products to eating milk products daily.)

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2017, 07:17:51 AM »
My go to snack is dark chocolate covered almonds. Yum!
Yes.... Of course, these are like crack, and whoever developed the ones with salt on the outside like the ones from Trader Joes is a genius and an evil chocolate pusher

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2017, 08:51:43 AM »
Oh yes, England. Where I live it's in the 90's Fahrenheit almost all summer, with 80% humidity.

I wish I could've gotten used to milk. I spent my whole childhood constipated because I was forced to eat pizza  and drink milk (good for a growing body!) all  the time. It seems like you can adapt to milk over generations though, like the dutch.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2017, 08:56:46 AM »
Dried mango. It's pricey enough that I don't buy it often, and it therefore feels like a treat.

I KNOW, right?  I like fresh mango fine, but dried it is like crack.

Also, I'd never thought of going the graham cracker route...we always just eat 2 squares of Lindt 70% dark after dinner, and don't have a desire to eat the whole bar.  But graham crackers with a big smear of nutella...I might need to try that.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2017, 10:20:17 AM »
I KNOW, right?  I like fresh mango fine, but dried it is like crack.

+1million

Dried mango is probably the only food that I actively struggle against eating the whole package in one day. 

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2017, 03:11:16 PM »
Half fill a cereal bowl with water.   Microwave for 45 secs.
While that is counting down, put some peanut butter and dark chocolate in a juice glass  (how much of ea depends on the choc. and personal taste and/or current craving).
Put the juice glass in the cereal bowl with (now warm) water.
Defrost 15 secs.  Stir.  Defrost more as needed.  Stir.
Put on Aldi, generic or store-brand 'fancy' (I think there is a better word, but I can't think of it) crackers.  Does work w/ ritz or saltines in a pinch.

Doubleh

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2017, 01:09:39 AM »
If you have a pressure cooker it sounds like you can make a mug cake in that.

My other tip for life without a microwave and living in the uk is that you can defrost stuff in a fraction of the time by placing it on a good heat conductor. A heavy Aluminum tray is probably ideal but I don't have one so use my cast iron pan.