Author Topic: Similarities between mustachianism and religious evangelism  (Read 16961 times)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
Re: Similarities between mustachianism and religious evangelism
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »
I'm not so sure Mustachianism requires a lot of faith.  It's mostly empirical observations and deterministic mathematics (along with stochastic outcomes like stock market sequence of returns).  I can, for example, ask 100 early retirees how they achieved ER, how they invest, how they feel, etc.  They can provide me with evidence of how they did it and what it feels like.  I could even get audited financial statements to prove they are actually FI. 

In contrast, I can't ask 100 people who are in heaven about their path to ultimate salvation and bliss, how they achieved it, and how they feel.  They are dead, and as far as I know, there is no reliable way to speak to them from the afterlife.  Whether they are up there floating around is a matter of pure faith since there is no way to falsify the claim. 

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2015, 05:43:06 PM »
Carrie, you have come up with yet another example of faith to be found in Mustachianism that I had not thought of: The stock market has "done this and that." Therefore, I believe it will "do this and that" yet again.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2015, 08:26:23 PM »
I think you guys are being a little disingenuous with the word faith.  I don't have faith that putting my money in the stock market is going to be a sure fire way to get to FIRE.  I am taking a calculated risk that investing that money will pay off, based on my understanding of how the investment system works.  It may not.  I might actually lose money.  But that is the risk I take, and I am comfortable taking that risk because it will probably work out very well for me statistically speaking.

I also don't have faith that my car is going to get to it's destination safely.  I know people can get in accidents and die.  I know it could be me.  But I know what the odds are and I am willing to take that risk.  It's not really a matter of faith, just an understanding of the risks involved.

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2015, 08:47:27 PM »
Frugalnacho, well said. Faith is a guaranteed or assured expectation based on previous observation. The stock market, although highly likely, remains without guarantee.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2015, 08:50:52 AM »
I disagree. Mustachianism does rely on faith, at least for me. I think it requires faith to realize spending/consuming less does lead to a happier life.

Wow. Ding ding ding, hit the nail on the head for me here. This really resonates with me. As a young person who's still trying to find her partner in life and eventually wants the whole family route but hasn't gotten there yet, I'm constantly fighting with myself on this. Most weekends, I drive 30 miles round trip to hang out with friends, will sometimes spend money on a beer or two, or pay for a ticket to something. Sure, there are plenty of alternatives, but I'm happy now. I also don't think, as someone in my mid-20s, I have a good idea with what exactly I want to do with my life (not saying all mid 20s, but me in particular). I currently love my job and am excited at the idea of moving up the ranks. I've also toyed with the idea of opening up my own chocolate shop. There's so much that I don't know yet. So I save a lot with no particular goal in mind (YET), but I do spend more on 'fun' than your average mustachian. And I'm happy with that.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »
I think we should all just call it a day and not get too wound up.  We'll always have differences, and I don't think the intent of the original post was to offend.  If we were together in the same room I'd say, "Bygones everyone?" and buy everyone their favorite beverage.