Author Topic: Side jobs while working full-time  (Read 2515 times)

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
Side jobs while working full-time
« on: May 06, 2016, 08:57:14 AM »
I have to disclose any side jobs I have to my employer and manager.  Are there any downsides to this?  I can imagine telling him I'm working somewhere under my skill level on weekends and it reflecting badly on my job now.  Thoughts on pitfalls I should watch out for? Ideally I would work for myself and not have to do this, or make tips.

jayholden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Side jobs while working full-time
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »
I'd recommend staying out of the industry your employer is in, but working with the skillset you use on a daily basis at your primary employer. That would help you pitch it as a learning experience. Preferably your side hustle would be something your employer knows is impossible to do while on the clock, but this depends entirely on specifics.

NEVER get caught working on something related to your side hustle.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »
Disclose it to HR, not your supervisor, right?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 11:50:47 AM »
If it's something cool or hobby-ish and not related to your career I should think it wouldn't hurt your professional image (e.g. something athletic or artistic, home bakery, selling crafts on Etsy, etc.)  Something that's your personal interest or passion, rather than jobs that are considered "menial" or simply for survival.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 12:05:36 PM »
I have to disclose any side jobs I have to my employer and manager.
I have a "side gig" that I (have to) report as a hobby to the IRS. It has negative tax implications on me, but to me also means I don't have to report it to my employer.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!