Author Topic: Side income ideas?? Want opinions  (Read 6512 times)

DebtFreeinPhilly

• Stubble
Side income ideas?? Want opinions
« on: August 14, 2016, 09:20:56 PM »
Hey, I'm looking for ideas to generate extra income to help pay down my debt load. I have a couple of hours at night after the kiddo goes to bed so ideas that revolve around the computer, home based, or anything like that is what I am looking for. I am good with my hands, I have a good understanding of computers and the internet, and I like to believe that I can write fairly well. And go....

Some ideas I found;
-being a drop shipper on eBay or Amazon
-tradelines (arebelspy has a thread going already)
-online juror

Helpful Info
1) I understand reducing expenses is twice as good as generating additional income, and I am working on that too. I just found the thread on converting a spouse, which is my major roadblock at the moment.

2) I tried the search function and I kept getting an error message, so I am starting a new post. If there is already a thread about this, please link it so I can close this one.

bballfreakunc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Side income ideas?? Want opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 06:43:46 AM »
I've really had pretty good success on Moonlighting recently. Moonlighting is an exchange of people who need stuff done and people who want to do stuff. I'm usually one of the latter. They have everything from building apps/websites to completing electric/plumbing work.

Moonlighting: http://www.gomnlt.com/mnlt/sign_up/?SubAff=1061

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 06:45:26 AM »
best bang for your time is tradelines.  i'm doing it now as well.  could easily be done in conjunction with anything else ... it really takes no time. the limiting factor is the cards you have that are available to go into their system, not time.

Doubleh

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 08:12:01 AM »
There are lots of good discussions on this topic already, problem is that the search tool struggles with the size of the site. Best way to search is to use Google and include the phrase site:mrmoneymustache.com in your search terms. That will bring you all results from this website. Good luck?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache

DebtFreeinPhilly

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 03:46:51 PM »
There are lots of good discussions on this topic already, problem is that the search tool struggles with the size of the site. Best way to search is to use Google and include the phrase site:mrmoneymustache.com in your search terms. That will bring you all results from this website. Good luck?

Thats why I'm having trouble! Thanks for the work around!

I've really had pretty good success on Moonlighting recently. Moonlighting is an exchange of people who need stuff done and people who want to do stuff. I'm usually one of the latter. They have everything from building apps/websites to completing electric/plumbing work.

Moonlighting: http://www.gomnlt.com/mnlt/sign_up/?SubAff=1061

I take a look thanks.

best bang for your time is tradelines.  i'm doing it now as well.  could easily be done in conjunction with anything else ... it really takes no time. the limiting factor is the cards you have that are available to go into their system, not time.

Thats the slight problem with me: I have one credit card (Capital One). Since its my oldest/only card, I'm not risking having it cut off because then I have no DTI.

This is a good thread: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/who-has-a-side-gigjob-that-brings-in-extra-cash-share-with-us!/

Thanks! I knew there would be one already!

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 07:55:35 AM »
Thats the slight problem with me: I have one credit card (Capital One). Since its my oldest/only card, I'm not risking having it cut off because then I have no DTI.
Well then there's a new side hustle for you right there! Credit card churning.

These are some pretty good cards to look into:
-Chase Freedom
-Chase Freedom Unlimited
-Bank of America Cash Rewards
-AMEX Premium Gold Card
-Citi/American Airlines AAdvantage

I've reaped over $1300 in rewards and you can too :D

precrime3

• Stubble
  • Getting out of the rat race before I'm in it.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 11:22:26 AM »
Someone link to a thread, link, resource to tradesline?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:27:25 PM by okits »

DebtFreeinPhilly

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 02:45:53 PM »

-Chase Freedom
-Chase Freedom Unlimited
-AMEX Premium Gold Card

I'll look into it. Didn't know you could get money from it. I always thought it was rewards points and stuff. Thanks.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 11:09:05 PM »

-Chase Freedom
-Chase Freedom Unlimited
-AMEX Premium Gold Card

I'll look into it. Didn't know you could get money from it. I always thought it was rewards points and stuff. Thanks.

The majority of them do give points which are redeemable for cash and other things (airline flights, etc). Still money!

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 05:46:29 AM »
Part time UPS job. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 07:31:08 AM »
are you comfortable buying things and selling them.  i fund most of my hobbies peopple consider expensive here thru understanding the industry and buying things either online for crazy low prices and reselling on CL or buying on CL and reselling on CL.  i do this with concert tickets, paddle boards, lake accessories etc. also MMM actually wrote an article on what one reader does with cars.  buys for a great price and drives for a few years and sells for a profit.  i do similar things with boats a very unmustachian hobby but i keep my expenses extremely low by buying in the fall and selling in the late spring early summer every 2-3 years ... was really profitable til my current boat which will likely lose 1k on so it doesnt always work but engines dont always blow up.  at which my 20k would have made 5k in 3 years vs a loss of 1k ... lots and lots of ways to make money.  i actually enjoy figuring out ways to make income with little effort - i'll likely make more than we spend in FIRE with just these side hustles.

DebtFreeinPhilly

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »
boarder42, interesting idea with the boats. I am an avid sailor so the boating world is not unfamiliar to me. I have started to look for free items on CL to see if I can resell. I like small engines so I may start to push that hobby into a side hustle. Last night I did sign up for OnlineVerdict, so I will see if that generates some extra cash.

Has anyone had any luck at large equipment auctions? There is a large two day one near me that has over 1000 machine/construction/farm/etc. vehicles and parts for sale. I was thinking of going to see how it works and maybe pick up a lawn mower that I fix up.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »
boarder42, interesting idea with the boats. I am an avid sailor so the boating world is not unfamiliar to me. I have started to look for free items on CL to see if I can resell. I like small engines so I may start to push that hobby into a side hustle. Last night I did sign up for OnlineVerdict, so I will see if that generates some extra cash.

Has anyone had any luck at large equipment auctions? There is a large two day one near me that has over 1000 machine/construction/farm/etc. vehicles and parts for sale. I was thinking of going to see how it works and maybe pick up a lawn mower that I fix up.

If you have experience with sailing/engines then definitely don't be afraid to use that to your advantage. Not a lot of people know about all that stuff. It could be a good hobby.

My side hustle is selling things on Amazon. I started off knowing next to nothing about it, but after a year it's turned into a nice side income.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 08:10:35 AM »

If you have experience with sailing/engines then definitely don't be afraid to use that to your advantage. Not a lot of people know about all that stuff. It could be a good hobby.

My side hustle is selling things on Amazon. I started off knowing next to nothing about it, but after a year it's turned into a nice side income.

you doing AFS? been looking into it need to find the right niche to sell in.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 08:18:05 AM »

you doing AFS? been looking into it need to find the right niche to sell in.

AFS?

FBA - fulfillment by Amazon? No I haven't been using this service, just selling individually.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!