Author Topic: Side gigs for a college student?  (Read 2637 times)

connor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Side gigs for a college student?
« on: March 04, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »
I'm 19, first year of university in the UK, desperately trying to accumulate a stache. Currently at £16,500, but I have a burning desire to get an even bigger head start, as anything earned now is worth a tonne more than in the future.

Until now, my money-making has been unsustainable: I wrote a computer program to automatically enter twitter competitions 24/7 with 100 accounts and that was great, earned me £10k, until Twitter found out and banned my developer key.

Then more recently I've split profit 50/50 with people that allow me to take advantage of gambling sites' offers on their behalf using cashback sites and it turns out to be a risk free profit of anywhere between £200 and £10,000 per person for a couple of hours work depending on the person's luck. Again unsustainable because it involves people trusting me with all their details, and as you can imagine people are hesitant to say the least.

Anyway, my question is: can anyone suggest any side-gigs I could pick up? Online would be best, but open to anything that can generate some good money.

cnash1303

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Side gigs for a college student?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 03:01:18 PM »
Wow, sounds like you are pretty awesome at programming. Have you considered a place like elance? You can be a freelance programmer on there and make some pretty good money in your spare time.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 03:20:37 PM »
Agreed, sounds like you're a hustler.  Keep on keeping an eye out and capitalizing on opportunities.  In college, I scoured the lost and found sales and picked up as many textbooks as possible.  They were usually $1 or $2 and then I'd turn around and post them on Amazon for $80 or $90.

Is there a reason why you're limited to side gigs versus just getting a job? Even if it were a day or two a week at a restaurant or coffee shop, that might help (and it'd still give you the flexibility of picking up other gigs).

connor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »
Wow, sounds like you are pretty awesome at programming. Have you considered a place like elance? You can be a freelance programmer on there and make some pretty good money in your spare time.

I actually know nothing about programming. I have a piece of software that just lets you use if then logic with drag and drops rather than actually writing the program. I don't even know if it's a program, a script, or what. I just know it works - well, did ;) 

Agreed, sounds like you're a hustler.  Keep on keeping an eye out and capitalizing on opportunities.  In college, I scoured the lost and found sales and picked up as many textbooks as possible.  They were usually $1 or $2 and then I'd turn around and post them on Amazon for $80 or $90.

Is there a reason why you're limited to side gigs versus just getting a job? Even if it were a day or two a week at a restaurant or coffee shop, that might help (and it'd still give you the flexibility of picking up other gigs).

Awesome, I'll give that a go, sounds like it could work pretty well here.

I'm not allowed to get a job, the university prohibits it. Oxford and Cambridge are the only two I know of that do it, and it sucks. I applied for a min wage job just to keep me sane (I hate my degree) and the employer reported me to the university. That didn't go down well. Otherwise I'd definitely get a job, but I'm limited to side hustles I suppose.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »
I did the relatively conventional side gig of tutoring. I had both private clients and a regular hour gig through a general academics department. I also found paid work over summers (plant nursery, summer lab technician).

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »
I did the relatively conventional side gig of tutoring. I had both private clients and a regular hour gig through a general academics department. I also found paid work over summers (plant nursery, summer lab technician).

Similar here.  If you did well in Calc I, you got offered a position tutoring in the Math Lab.  Summers I worked Freshman Orientation (intake testing, and programming their database).  There were a few other odd gigs - dorm desk duty overnight once a week during Summer, publishing a writer's group newsletter, private SAT tutoring for HS students.