Author Topic: SICA-V, New York?  (Read 12270 times)

Jennifer in Ottawa

• Stubble
SICA-V, New York?
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »
I applied for a blind position (job was advertised but employer was not identified), and I have been notified by a Karl Becker from SICA-V that I am being considered for the position.  The description of duties sounds a bit ... shady.  The initial work is to be conducted online as they are currently establishing offices in Canada.

I've worked for American firms before, but was interviewed in person by the Managing Director, travelled to the States for orientation, and assisted in establishing the Canadian Branch Office.

It doesn't help my feelings that something is odd that the correspondence I have received is written in rather poor English.

They do have a website, but that doesn't mean much these days.

Anyone ever heard of this company?

Sarita

• Stubble
Re: SICA-V, New York?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 06:49:19 PM »
Trust your instincts, and don't give them more information than you already have e.g. the paperwork required for hire with your SSN, etc.

vasishta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 08:03:32 AM »
Anyone ever heard of this company?

I have just been contacted by them and live in Ottawa too. I'm doing the same thing you are, but I haven't filled out their registration form. Have you learned anything more about this company? Are they legit? What things do they have you doing?

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SICAV What? Investment scheme?

What vague duties would you have?

DMP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 10:44:46 AM »
I've also applied to this job. I filled out and sent in the application form (they didn't ask for anything that I thought was sensitive) yesterday and received a phone call from a 718 area code today with an offer of a probationary period, no interview or invitation to meet anyone. I was told to check my email for some documents and to get back to them as soon as I can. I haven't received the email yet, but I'll keep you posted on what happens. I also get a strange feeling about the whole thing.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SICAV What? Investment scheme?

What vague duties would you have?

The word scheme is throwing you off there. It is not some shady shit and the investment scheme means something else.

The name of the "company" just has a very similar name to an investment option.

DMP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:20:11 AM »
I've received the offer email. They're asking to return a signed and dated offer sheet as well as a scan of "any of your I.D. ( Drivers License, Health Card, Passport, SIN Card)" and to bind my personal bank account to the Interac Email Money Transfer System. The duties include receiving transfers from personal investors with YOUR personal bank account and then sending it to "managers of the company" all over the world by Money Gram, Western Union etc. with you receiving a commission on each transfer. You take full financial responsibility and any misappropriated funds are punishable by Canadian Law.

In other words this offer and job stinks of fish and I want nothing to do with it and suggest the same to anyone else interested in this "company"
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:44:00 AM by DMP »

Jennifer in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »
I didn't bother to respond to them in any fashion.

A SICAV is a European investment model, but all other companies that deal with them are named "Name SICAV".

The first part that threw me off was the compensation offered, hourly wage plus commission.  I thought "commission for what?".  I don't do sales.  Ever.  Nothing in my resume or work history is sales related, and the ad for the job didn't make mention of sales.

The second part that didn't sit well was the description of duties, visiting banks, depositing cheques and making transfers.  In the first place, how does company without a physical location in Canada get a business license and a Canadian bank account?  Answer: it doesn't.  That suggested to me that they wanted me to do it with my own bank accounts "in the interim".  I don't even make my personal vehicle available to my employers, let alone my credit or banking privileges.

This is absolutely the last time I apply to a blind position.  You just know that a bunch of people are going to fleeced over this one.  Police reporting-worthy do you think?

DMP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 09:47:02 PM »
I feel kind of foolish even responding to the first email. I had a hunch something wasn't right, but the form was similar to one I had filled out for a prior job of mine and, like I said before, didn't ask for my SIN or banking details; just info that was already on my resume. Then I got the phone call today telling me I had the job and to check my email and send back the documents ASAP. Could barely understand the woman on the phone. I ended up putting alerts on my credit files just in case because I did sign the first form. I'm going to report it to the Canadian Anti Fraud Centre in the morning.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »
It sounds like one of those scams where they send you checks, you take a "commission" and forward money somewhere else.  By the time the original checks bounce, they're long gone.

vasishta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 09:13:13 AM »
I feel kind of foolish even responding to the first email. I had a hunch something wasn't right, but the form was similar to one I had filled out for a prior job of mine and, like I said before, didn't ask for my SIN or banking details; just info that was already on my resume. Then I got the phone call today telling me I had the job and to check my email and send back the documents ASAP. Could barely understand the woman on the phone. I ended up putting alerts on my credit files just in case because I did sign the first form. I'm going to report it to the Canadian Anti Fraud Centre in the morning.

Ya, I'm at the same stage you are. Clearly, it's a scam. How did you put alerts on your credit files? I'll call my bank and ask.

DMP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 11:59:05 AM »
I called both Equifax and Transunion and requested the alert. They each charge you around five dollars, but it makes any possible creditors have to call you at the number on your credit file if anyone trys to get credit with your identity.

kevinclifford

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 02:35:49 PM »
Hello all, I am surprised that I have found this forum, but happy because I am in the same boat (from ottawa, received emails from Karl and calls from a woman with bad English, and was suspicious about the whole thing). I am now concerned however because I have already made a transaction with this "company". They sent me $975.75, then told me to take commission ($29.25) then went to a Western Union location (in this case a money mart)  to transfer the remaining amount to someone else. It seems too easy and now I am concerned something might happen. I feel stupid to be honest, what should I do?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »
I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect the check you got (and deposited?) will be returned by your bank as unpaid.  Most likely, the money you sent on is gone. 

kevinclifford

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 03:55:07 PM »
I didn't really deposit anything, they sent me an email money transfer and then i just transferred it somewhere else... 

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »
It sounds like one of those scams where they send you checks, you take a "commission" and forward money somewhere else.  By the time the original checks bounce, they're long gone.

BINGO.

What geekette described above is a standard scam. A "company" sends you fake checks, you deposit them and forward on most of the money, the forgeries are discovered a few months later and you have to pay up. You may even be blessed with a visit from the Feds.

I wouldn't give them my SSN or a copy of my ID either.

kevinclifford

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 06:02:28 PM »
So my question is, what should be my next course of action... who do I tell

Jennifer in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »
Print off a copy of all correspondence you've received to date and go to the Ottawa Police Headquarters on Elgin.  They may refer you to the RCMP, but they may take care of it themselves.  Do it tomorrow and don't tip off Herr Becker that you are going to the police.

davata

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 08:00:37 PM »
Hi Guys. Lately I received a job offer from the same company. according to them I am the only candidate qualified for this position. They gave me the probationary period with 5% on weekend and 3% on weekdays commission rate. They send me the application form and the account form including copy of ID ( Drivers License, Health Card, Passport, SIN Card). I filled out the form and send them all the necessary document. I think after half an hour they gave me tasks that I have to do during this probationary period. He told me that 'I will receive a transfer from someone to my account using INTERAC Email Money Transfer to check if the system works. I received the transfer amount in my email address. When I try to deposit  this money in my account it did not work. I contacted my bank explaining the incidence. What I have found is that the sender account is blocked.
I replied to  Karl Becker who is the company manager however, he told me it is a technical problem. And he asked me again to wire transfer the money to my credit card, Surprisingly I was asked to give him my credit card number. I finally find out that it is a scam. To wire transfer  the money the only thing that you are asked is your bank account number, not credit card number. Any way If you want to see the whole conversation with them here it is.....

1st email:

Karl Becker   
To Me
   
 Today at xxxx AM 

Congratulations xxxxx,

Among all candidates, you have been selected for a probationary period with our company.
 With your qualifications, we believe you will quickly develop and achieve success with us.

We are prepared to offer you a probationary position with an opportunity to become
 "Clerical Assistant of Financial Operations".

If you choose to accept this offer, please complete the following:

1. Print, sign and date attached offer sheet; scan and send by email.

2. Scan and email any of your I.D. ( Drivers License, Health Card, Passport, SIN Card)

3. Bind your personal bank account to "INTERAC Email Money Transfer" system (EMT), if it not bound.

4. Complete Account Form attached and send to becker@sica-v.com.

Best regards,
 Karl Becker
 becker@sica-v.com

Fax: +1 718-709-4334
 Tel: +1 718 618 4337
I attached all the necessary documents for the position

2nd email

Karl Becker   
To Me

Today at xxxxPM 

Hello xxxx,

Are you able to start your work right now?
 I need to check the transfer for you.
 Please answer me as soon as possible.

I replied ... yes

3rd email

Karl Becker   
To Me

Today at xxxx PM 

Ok, please wait a bit.
 I will give you further instructions in 20 minutes.

4th email

Karl Becker   
To Me

Today at xxxxPM 

Hello Dawit,

Information of the payment:
 To: my email
Amount: $1,250.00
 Security Question: ..................
 Security Answer:......................

As this is your first task, I'm going to help you and monitor the process at all stages.

Guidance:

Check your email for EMT payment (may take 30-60 minutes)
 Follow link from letter from EMT, login to your internet banking and use security answer to confirm.
 Check your balance and confirm to me by email that payment has been received to your account.

Further instruction will be sent after confirmation.

It is very important for us to complete all transfers during one business day.

Best regards,

Fax: +1 718 709 4334
 Tel: +1 718 618 4337

Development Manager,
 The SICAV Company

5th email
I received a transfer from some one by the name LISA MEDD

LISA MEDD   
To Me

Today at xxxxPM 

LISA MEDD has sent you an INTERAC e-Transfer.

Amount: $1,250.00 (CAD)

Sender's Message: A message was not provided

Expiry Date: 04 Aug 2014

Action Required:
To deposit your money, click here:
https://etransfer.interac.ca/---------

6th email

Karl Becker   
To Me

Today atxxxPM 

Have you deposited money?
 Have you got the mail from interac system?
 Please answer me as soon as can.
 I'm waiting.
Karl Becker

I Told him about the account was blocked

7th e mail

Karl Becker   
To Me

Today at xxxxPM 

I have checked and it was technical problem.
 Have you got another account or i can offer you a wire transfer?
 What do you think?

I said ok to offer me a wire transfer.

8th email

Karl Becker   
To Me

Today at xxxx PM 

Please give me Master card's number and I will try to direct payment to you.

I replied to him no I do not want to give my credit card number.
END OF THE STORY.
When I include this conversation, I believe it will help others from those scammer.

missottawa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 09:37:01 AM »
I received that same e-mail and the same call from a woman in the Bronx whose English was...sub par.

I knew it was fishy when it wanted me to use my personal account to send money to "investors". No way in heck am I going to my personal stuff for anything!

I'd like to point out, that was also "hired" to be a Clerical Assistant -____-*

Update: I decided to do some investigation work and started asking questions. Basically, I wanted to know why potential candidates have to use their personal bank account if they have a business account. E-mail exchange is as follows.

Hi Mr. Becker,

I just have a few questions for you before I sign any documents and provide any of my ID.

1. Will there be no formal interview for this position? If not, why?

2. How long have you been in business?

3. Where is your Canadian office located if you will be moving here in a month? Which cities in Canada will you be moving to first?

4. Am I required to use my personal bank account for these transfers? If so, why?

Again, thank you for this wonderful opportunity. I would just like my questions answered before I accept this position.

Have a wonderful day,

This was "his" reply.

Hello XXXX,

I received your email and try to answer for all your questions.
We will open our offices in Canada in next month, so now we looking a staff.
We will open 3 offices in Toronto, Calgary and Montreal.
In probation you will use your personal bank account because our investors make a private payments
and after probation (if it will be successfully) we will give you our business account.
All information about our company you can find in www.sica-v.com

Thank you.

Of course none of that answered my questions, so I pushed a little harder with this:

Hi Mr. Becker,

Thank you for your quick response.

I still don't understand the usage of my personal account during the probationary period. As you might understand, it does concern me that I would be required to use it to accept funds from investors.

As stated in your offer of employment, I am fully responsible for anything that goes into my account. Is there any way I can start my probation using your business account? It would make me feel more comfortable.

Next month, do you mean August? What day in August? Where will your offices in Toronto, Montreal and Calgary be located (i.e. streets)? I am willing to relocate to Montreal or Toronto, so I need to make arrangements for housing.

Thank you

Any legitimate business would be able to provide decent answers to my questions. If he doesn't answer me as quickly as he did the first email I sent, then it's a scam and I'm reporting them.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:17:37 AM by missottawa »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 06:56:07 PM »
Locally, some TV news stations have "troubleshooter" reporters that investigate bad businesses, fraud, and other things like this to get the word out to avoid them.  Is there a station in your area that might be interested in a news story?

qwlqwl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »
Hi, this is my first post here.

I fell for this SICA-V scam exactly as described in this thread. I gave them my SIN and driver's license, and stopped short of accepting the first email money transfer from "Darren Dean". I think I remember clicking the link in the email, but I didn't formally accept the transfer since I knew it was a scam by that point in time.

Other part of the story: I've been relying on financial support from family via e-transfers. This was going on fine until Darren Dean showed up. I got error #412 when I tried to accept the legitimate transfer, and escalated the issue with CIBC.

Two days later I get a call from CIBC explaining that "the E-transfer service is no longer available to you". In other words, I'm out of luck. I don't understand what's going on. Is CIBC treating me like a crook? Is this issue outside of their control?

Today I spoke with a manager at CIBC E-services and was told to contact the CIBC Ombudsman, which I plan to do first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance. In the meantime I will be reading up on Mr. Money Mustache as the frugality concept seems like my kind of lifestyle.