Author Topic: Should we sell the big car?  (Read 2386 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Should we sell the big car?
« on: September 28, 2015, 12:21:16 AM »
We are trying to prevent lifestyle creep so that we can approach some of the amazing savings rates shared on this board.

As per "If you wouldn't buy it, you should sell it," I was hoping you guys would advise me on our car situation. We have two paid off cars, a 2008 Honda Fit and a 2013 Ford Edge. I use the Ford Edge to commute to kid's school, grocery store and assorted local expeditions.

We are souring on the Edge. My husband bought it new and at first it seemed great that we had more room for the kids and their huge car seats but it is so fuel inefficient and the on-board computer is ridiculously bad, and it is just more car than is strictly necessary for our purposes. By far the best part of the Ford Edge is the tinted rear windows, but we could probably pay to tint windows on a Honda Fit with the profits from selling the Edge. I also miss being able to fit into "COMPACT" parking spots.

I have used the Edge to haul home large pieces of free furniture from the side of the road, so that's been valuable, and now and again I will put something like a bale of hay in the trunk. Also, about once a year we drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas to visit my in-laws and maybe it's a little nicer drive in a larger roomier car. (?)

I was the original driver of the Honda Fit and I thought it was dandy, and I'm thinking maybe we just sell the Ford Edge (it has some paint scratches and needs a deep clean) and get a 2013 (?) Honda Fit.

Can anyone convince me that we should keep the Ford Edge? (What if we end up with a third kid? Would it make sense then?) Or is it obvious that we should sell it, buy a Honda Fit and bank the ~$4,000 cash plus the ongoing cost of gas.

Last but not least, if there is some other car you love that is Honda Fit-like, please post your suggestions below. Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:35:40 AM by jengod »

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Should we sell the big car?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:00:56 AM »
I see no reason to keep the edge if you can get a fair (by blue book private party) price for it.   If you need a super big car again, buy another big vehicle.     

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 08:47:18 AM »
I would sell it now, invest the cash. Tinting 3 windows (two sides and one rear) on the Honda should be less than $200, even cheaper depending on your state and what film you use.

If you need a bigger car later on, you can buy one. No sense in dumping money now for a "maybe."

Other Honda Fit-esque cars: Prius or Prius C, Nissan Versa (I'd choose the Fit over this, quite frankly). I actually do love the Chevy Sonic - I had it as a rental and it was great - but I am not sure what reliability is like on that.

Lady Fordragon

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 12:24:06 PM »
Definitely sell it!  I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't buy (or in your case keep) more than what you currently need. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!