Author Topic: Should I/Shouldn't I? I know personal decision... but considering a job option  (Read 5325 times)

Left

• Handlebar Stache
I'm considering a traveling job with Aureus Medical (if anyone works with them, let me know!). From what I've gathered, the assignments are anywhere from 13 to 26 weeks. I don't consider a big pay difference than what I get now. But I want the traveling experience and they pay for housing which is a big bonus. I mean who wouldn't want a free place to live right?

I'm kind of torn on this, if I do get the job, I'd likely need a newer car (mine is already 15 years) since I don't see myself driving a camry across country (snow/etc). And I'd have to haul enough clothes/etc for work too.

What I'm torn about is that I'd have to leave family behind, mother (who is aging well but still "old"). We have no other family members in the US so... yeah, no one to look out for her if she needed. The other part is that I'm hesitant because it'd be a big life change but I can't see any reason not to go for it.

Just wondering if anyone's taken a job where they travel a lot and if they liked doing so.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:41:47 AM by eyem »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: Should I/Shouldn't I? I know personal decision... but I'll ask anyways
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:16:08 AM »
I have worked in the trade show business, doing registration stuff, which meant going onsite to various shows throughout the year.

In one company, I didn't go onsite much, but there were 3-4 people who pretty much were on site for 12 weeks on the trot, and with varying schedules the rest of the time.

All I can say is: it wears you out. It'll be fun for the first year, then probably ok, then... less so.

That's how I'd look at it: something to do for a while, but not planning on doing it for 10 years...

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »
I've considered it a time or two, myself.  Would be very interesting to read responses on this.   If you do do this please let us know how it goes!!!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:24:24 AM »
Travel is great, if you get to go to interesting places... which it sounds like you won't. That would be my deciding factor.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:26:54 AM »
Depends on you and how much you will be working while 'on site'.  If you are the type of person that can make friends easy and will be in places where you can do that then you may enjoy it.  If you will be in BFE-Montana working 80hr/wk with no life it will suck and the money will probably not be worth it. 

From my travel experience,  hotels are all the same everywhere.  Pannara's are all the same everywhere.  Unless you can really have time to see a place and meet the locals, being somewhere is the same as being somewhere else.

Being somewhere for 3 months will be hard to meet people just to have fun never mind finding a gf/bf.

I flew almost once per month this year to assorted places, it sounds cool and can be for a bit but it gets old.  Part of the suck is that if you work 60hr/wk but take off sunday and go have fun all your facebook friends see is the one cool pic from your day off and think you are on holiday-they dont see the daily grind while someplace that sounds really cool.

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:36:56 AM »
I have a friend who's a travel nurse. Has had stints in DC and LA so far, both of which she chose to extend far beyond the original timeframe (originally 12 weeks or so, but spent 6 months+ at each).

If you PM me your email, I'll reach out and put you two in touch (as far as I know she's not on MMM).

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Being somewhere new all the time and trying to find all the basics, cool restaurant, gym, biking trains etc, can get old.

Travel can be isolating, is sort of what I am trying to get at. 

Yes we dont plain on finding partners but always picking up every 3-5 months definitely makes it harder.

If you will not be working normal bank hours/days think about how you will feel when you wake up at 1pm on a tuesday for the start of your weekend and the few people you know locally are at work.  Nothing fun will be open or would be better on Sat/sun but you work those days.

'on site' = not where you permanently live.

Any hesitation I would have would not be centered around the job itself but being happy and doing stuff out side the office you enjoy.  Do your hobbies travel well, ie it might be hard to find a new tennis partner every 3 months?

Left

• Handlebar Stache
From my travel experience,  hotels are all the same everywhere.  Pannara's are all the same everywhere.  Unless you can really have time to see a place and meet the locals, being somewhere is the same as being somewhere else.
That was my entire reason for wanting to travel. Because if somewhere is the same as anywhere if you can't see the place... Then WHY should I stay where I am NOW? If me being in KC is the same as me being anywhere else, what reasons do I have to stay here? I mean aside from my concern for my mother that I mentioned in first post? My friends aren't close enough to keep me here, btw

I have no other family, no kids to look after. I would miss my friends but well, I don't see them all that often to begin with. We are happy talking online/phone too.

@AlanStache, I don't mind finding all the basics all the time. My basics include a walmart (if not better, but walmart is easy to find) and that's about it :S I can pick up food from there and anything that I might need quickly. The gym, well the housing place mentioned it might have one, if not, most large hospitals have one that employees can use so I would use that. And cool restaurants? I don't eat out that often. I already work nights, so I'm not working "banker" hours. And I prefer nights :) I have the entire day to look forward to, get things done, and since everyone is at their work, all the stores are empty. As for meeting people, I could do that well enough any time of day I'd think. Sure I can't hit up the bars... but again, I already dont' do that now and don't see myself doing so in the future.

edit: now that I think about it, why wouldn't it be hard to travel with a spouse/kids? From what I've heard the housing money is generous enough that you could stay somewhere else with room enough for spouse/kids... And if spouse is a stay at home one and kids aren't old enough for school... why not? At about $35/hour for a travel job, I don't see how a mustachian wouldn't earn enough money to make it happen. They could even rent out the home.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:11:41 AM by eyem »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Sounds like you should give it a shot and try to see some of the country, seems like you want to go.  Might make a nice secondary way to force you to not buy shit if everything has to fit in your car you will be even more vigilant about not buying useless stuff. 

Could you negotiate a way for the employer to fly your mom to you every few months for a visit?

I assume the employer deals with the pia state taxes for each state, your health insurance travels, you can set up all bills as accounts online?  Car registration can stay in KC?

Left

• Handlebar Stache
I'd guess car stays registered in KC... but I was really planning not selling the house so I wouldn't have a "residency" anymore outside of job housing.
Mom retires in a year so she could just move around with me or travel on her own. I don't think the employer would fly her out to me, but I could always just buy a plane ticket for her. The job would be about $10,000 more than what I make now, so I'd have the extra money. hm... You know, after seeing how much more money that is... that just makes me want to do it more.

I guess I'll put in an application this weekend. See what the new year brings? I'm starting to get annoyed at current managers so instead of job jumping, I might try this.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:51:08 AM by eyem »

_JT

• Stubble
I have to back up, because I'm still not sure where you reached the conclusion that a Camry isn't ok to travel halfway across the country in. I put about 100k miles on my Accord as a touring musician, and I did the west coast/NW a bunch, which means driving through all sorts of snow and mountains.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
Well, I meant my camry already has close to 200k miles on it, and I'd like something with a bigger trunk to fit enough close to last me 13-26 weeks. I know I can wash but still, I want a week's worth or clothing or so.

and as an update, I got some contact info with two travel companies :) I'll be talking with them to see how this entire thing works

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Would be interesting to ask these companies how long employees typically remain with the company going out on various contracts.  I get individually they are a month or six but do people last 1 year or 5 years doing that?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!