Author Topic: Should I take free insurance offer from my credit union?  (Read 1982 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Should I take free insurance offer from my credit union?
« on: September 03, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »
I keep getting mail from my credit union about a third-party insurance company, Tru-Stage, that offers a $1k accidental death & dismemberment policy to the credit union members for free.

I'm assuming their only motivation is to get you to sign up for further insurance through them (heavily advertised on the return letter).  Is there anything possibly more sinister to it?  Any reason I shouldn't take the free policy?  I don't have any dependents so I haven't looked into this type of stuff at all.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
Re: Should I take free insurance offer from my credit union?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 06:34:48 PM »
I've had the free policy for 20+ years and nothing sinister happens.  Sure, they'd like you to buy more, but you don't have to.

SummerLovin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 06:44:49 PM »
+1 nothing sinister. You don't have to buy anything although they will send you marketing stuff which you can throw away.

usmarine1975

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:12:31 PM »
Its a benefit to you as a member take the free coverage and tuck the info in your final wishes folder so your loved one knows it exist. Many of these policies probably are not remembered.

I have a 3 ring binder with my policies my accounts and my will living will etc.