Author Topic: Should I stay or should I quit?  (Read 2931 times)

Dr Dave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Should I stay or should I quit?
« on: October 16, 2012, 11:47:23 PM »
I am a veterinarian, currently I teach in a vet tech program in a huge, sprawling strip-mall tastic city in Arizona. Yes, that one. The program is up and moving shop, my current commute is 15 minutes, it will become 45 minutes early in the new year. Yes, that's one way.

My pay isn't great to start with, I estimate this commute will cost me 3900 more George Washington dollars per year, and I will spend a soul crushing 240 hours per year in my car trapped in rivers of liquid steel. I know Mr Money Mustache would punch me in the face for even considering this ridiculous commute, especially since I am rocking a 94 Camry with 200,000 miles on it already.

I am presently thinking of quitting this job and finding a better paying one closer to home. Is this a no-brainer? I enjoy teaching, but this does not seem compatible with my Mustachian goal of retirement by 50 (I am 45 today).

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Should I stay or should I quit?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:57:26 PM »
Is moving to be closer to the new work location out of the question?

Dr Dave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:19:25 AM »
Yup. Just bought a reasonably priced house in CenPho, program is moving to way out in the East Valley. Looked at public transportation options but they would double my commute time (like, 1.5 hours one way). Wife works from home, which I acknowledge does not negate my commute, but lowers both our footprint and expense.

We are natural Mustachians, even before it had such a badass name. We've been doing what we called voluntary simplicity for a few years. No cable, no new cars, our only real debt is the house we just bought, and our only vice is a penchant for rescue animals (5, but that sorta comes with career choice). And, we eat out too much.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 06:39:38 AM »
Well, I wouldn't quit without finding another job first.  There isn't anything wrong with looking for new work to expand your options.  It certainly sounds like you are dreading the idea of the longer commute.