Author Topic: Progress  (Read 3636 times)

ECrew28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Progress
« on: July 17, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »
So before I found this amazing site and learned what I really wanted out of life, I was going by at the typical pace of the rest of the world.  We were carrying a bunch of CC debt, living beyond our means, and we had a ton of STUFF.  Well, the wife and I finally woke up and realized, this was not how we wanted to bring our kids up.  So we attacked the CC debt (over 25k of it) and knocked it out by cutting back and working hard.  So now we are in the process of starting phase 2 of our journey, building our wealth.

So as we move into stage 2, I am finding that all this STUFF should have been sold during phase 1 so that the debt could be paid down.  But it wasn't and so I have all this STUFF to sell.  Old cell phones, tons of computers, furniture, and then the collections.  Most of the stuff I have to get rid of, I know Craigslist or a local yard-sale site will take care of.  However, the collections are where I am running into problems.  For example, my parents had this horrible habit of buying us Hallmark ornaments for years, telling us to keep them in the boxes as they will be worth something some day.  So we did.  And now we have 2 huge storage containers full of these things, new in the box.  And I can't stand them.  I just want a few bucks for them and then I want them out of my crawlspace.  Thoughts?

Once we start getting this stuff sold, it will fund multiple savings accounts as well as help us max our Roth IRAs. 

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Progress
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »
Search ebay and see what they are selling for, also a good place to unload them.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:17:56 AM »
Particularly if you have a bunch of stuff you want to sell at once (without a lot of hassle), you might also consider Replacements -- http://replacements.com/ .  I have no connection to the place (though I have a family member who once worked there and found it a good place to work), but I know they cater to those who do like collectibles, and to getting items from those who don't like them in order to sell them to those who do.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »
Love the Replacements idea!  Thanks for sharing that tip.

ECrew28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 09:49:32 AM »
Thanks Bogart, I have just reached out to them and am waiting for a reply.  Hoping to de-clutter as soon as possible!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!