Author Topic: Should I Sell My Beloved But Unused Sports Bike?  (Read 2460 times)

Bayou Dweller

• Stubble
  • Spend less. Live more. SWAMI.
    • Just Stop Spending
Should I Sell My Beloved But Unused Sports Bike?
« on: July 19, 2018, 06:29:40 AM »
Background
I saved up $2,500 when I was in High School to buy my first motorcycle and gear when I was 17. I've always been on and off with them since, either really into them (racing at the track or modifying) or really not into them (solely commuting due to decent MPG). I feel as if owning a motorcycle is part of who I am. I self identify as a sport bike rider and have for the last 11 years of my life. I know it's cheesy to say but it does make me feel "cool" - but that shouldn't matter, especially now that I'm getting older and have way more important priorities besides impressing others.

Current Realities
I have a Triumph Daytona 675. I got it for cheap from a mechanic friend. It's got a salvaged title due to a wreck from the original owner, but it was fixed so really the title just dilutes the value. It's got roughly 20,000 miles on it. Most of those are commuting miles. Some are it being driven hard. Either on winding country roads, late-night highway runs, or at the local race track (expensive, anti-mustachian hobby).

After my son was born 4 years ago, I haven't ridden it much besides to commute. And in the last 2 years I've ridden it maybe 10 to 20 times, max. I don't have any mechanical issues with it since I start it regularly and keep the maintenance up myself. However it does cost me about $15/mo ($180/y). I haven't even had it registered in those two years, so the $50/y for that cost doesn't even count (oops).

I think I could get anywhere between $2k-4k for the bike. If I sold it to a friend, I probably wouldn't try to charge a premium though, so closer to $2k. I'm not hurting for money whatsoever so the sales price hasn't really been too much of a factor. If anything, I keep saying, "Ah, it's only worth like $2k anyways, so why sell it?!"

Dilemma
I know that I don't use it, so I should sell it. Especially after reading this article by MMM/Frugal Toque. And I think I have two friends who would potentially buy it from me, making the sale quite easy on me.

But a huge part of me still wants to go race at the track. And to self-identify as a "motorcycle rider". It sounds ridiculous typing this out, but I've been thinking about it for a while. I keep thinking that when I am closer to or am FI that I'll go back to the track. But the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards not doing that as a hobby. And if I do - I think the odds of me pursuing it in a fancypants race car are much more likely.

I think I've answered my own question, really... but it felt good to get this all out of my head.

Ecky

• Bristles
Re: Should I Sell My Beloved But Unused Sports Bike?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 06:41:31 AM »
You can always buy another used sports bike later, if you really want one. Let it go.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 06:51:27 AM »
Yeah, let it go. The number of people I know who have at least one motorcycle stashed away in their garage is just ridiculous. Out of all of them, only one started riding again, and he went out and bought a Harley.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »
Afraid I cant help you.
I've got 5 motorcycles in my garage
I only ride 2 of them
Only 3 of them run
The oldest is a true collectors bike. I bought it as a literal basket case in the '80s. It hasn't run in, hmm... 20 yrs.

Yet, when people get to know me, they often don't believe that I ride motorcycles.

And, I'm seriously looking to buy another bike.  Probably my last one, so most probably my first ever new one - if I can trade in two.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 12:09:26 PM »
Sell it.  As a little incentive:

A year and a half ago, I sold my 2005 Polaris snowmobile that I bought new.  It was a 2 up sled and the family had used this and another sled for family trips in New Hampshire and around my own property.  We had not used it with one son in college, the other too busy with teenager things (teenagers would rather eat dog shit than do things with parents) and it wasn't running well without a lot of work.  So a year and a half ago, while the snow remained, up for sale it went and off it went.

Even better:

I built a roadrace bicycle while working at a bike shop in high school.  Finished it in my senior year in 1974.  I've raced it all over the region, commuted on it and dragged it everywhere.  Last year, I engaged my "if you haven't used it in a year, get rid of it" edict.  Gone. 

If I can sell off a bike I've had for nearly 40 years, you can convert your motorcycle into cash.  Just do it.

.....oh, I also sold off a Lotus.  College tuition ain't cheap, you know.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »
If you're not even bothering to register it, I don't think subconsciously you even think you plan to ride it anytime soon. As such, you're paying money to "have" a thing that is only useful if you're "using" it. Thus you're throwing money away. You've already self-admitted to probably shifting to a different type of "fun" vehicle in the future, so I don't really see any reason for you to keep paying for it.

Bayou Dweller

• Stubble
    • Just Stop Spending
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 01:54:24 PM »
If you're not even bothering to register it, I don't think subconsciously you even think you plan to ride it anytime soon. As such, you're paying money to "have" a thing that is only useful if you're "using" it. Thus you're throwing money away. You've already self-admitted to probably shifting to a different type of "fun" vehicle in the future, so I don't really see any reason for you to keep paying for it.
Sell it.  As a little incentive:

A year and a half ago, I sold my 2005 Polaris snowmobile that I bought new.  It was a 2 up sled and the family had used this and another sled for family trips in New Hampshire and around my own property.  We had not used it with one son in college, the other too busy with teenager things (teenagers would rather eat dog shit than do things with parents) and it wasn't running well without a lot of work.  So a year and a half ago, while the snow remained, up for sale it went and off it went.

Even better:

I built a roadrace bicycle while working at a bike shop in high school.  Finished it in my senior year in 1974.  I've raced it all over the region, commuted on it and dragged it everywhere.  Last year, I engaged my "if you haven't used it in a year, get rid of it" edict.  Gone. 

If I can sell off a bike I've had for nearly 40 years, you can convert your motorcycle into cash.  Just do it.

.....oh, I also sold off a Lotus.  College tuition ain't cheap, you know.
Yeah, let it go. The number of people I know who have at least one motorcycle stashed away in their garage is just ridiculous. Out of all of them, only one started riding again, and he went out and bought a Harley.

You can always buy another used sports bike later, if you really want one. Let it go.

Thanks y'all. For keeping me in reality. I already initiated the sale with a close friend and he is very interested. If it falls through I've got another friend interested.

Next question: What to do with the proceeds? Probably taxable investments at this point.

Afraid I cant help you.
I've got 5 motorcycles in my garage
I only ride 2 of them
Only 3 of them run
The oldest is a true collectors bike. I bought it as a literal basket case in the '80s. It hasn't run in, hmm... 20 yrs.

Yet, when people get to know me, they often don't believe that I ride motorcycles.

And, I'm seriously looking to buy another bike.  Probably my last one, so most probably my first ever new one - if I can trade in two.

Damn! Heed the advice of the others above. Why do you still have so many?

Calvawt

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »
$230 a year to keep something that makes you feel good and that provides memories?  Why worry about it?  I say keep it.  Its value will still be relatively similar in a few years if nothing changes.  You can spend your time constantly worrying about the small items, or focus on the big ones and then living your life.  Unless you have major debts to deal with, I vote keep it!

Bayou Dweller

• Stubble
    • Just Stop Spending
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »
$230 a year to keep something that makes you feel good and that provides memories?  Why worry about it?  I say keep it.  Its value will still be relatively similar in a few years if nothing changes.  You can spend your time constantly worrying about the small items, or focus on the big ones and then living your life.  Unless you have major debts to deal with, I vote keep it!

I don't have major debts, but decided to sell it anyway. It did provide me with good feelings when I was riding it - but I never made the time to ride it much over the past few years. The memories I'll still retain :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!