Author Topic: Should I sell my used SUV for an electric car?  (Read 1665 times)

SlowMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Should I sell my used SUV for an electric car?
« on: March 04, 2018, 09:39:02 PM »
About 6-7 months ago I made a half mustachian move and got rid of my car with a huge car loan and traded it in for an older version on the same car, Toyota Highlander. I was volunteering a few times a week to drive people and i could help more people with the 3rd row. I've cut down on the rides and now don't know if it's worth the extra money to have the gas guzzler. I spend about $120-$150 on gas every month.

If I sell my car on Craigslist I can get 11 or 12k and with that I can get a decent used Nissan Leaf or some other electric car. My company has free charging ports in the garage.

The only hesitation I have is that my current car runs really good, I did the 100k maintenance on it, so now I just spent money to have it last longer. Also, I do need to take some longer trips to my doctor and a new training program for a side gig I am pursuing, that an older leaf won't cover so I might have to charge mid trip (picture myself stopping at Whole Foods all the time for a charge). but might be worth the money savings? What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:45:09 PM by SlowMustachian »

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
Re: Should I sell my used SUV for an electric car?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:27:09 AM »
How many miles a year do you plan on driving?

SlowMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 08:00:28 AM »
15k for next two years. Stuck in a job that I don’t really enjoy but gives great 401k benefits and I don’t vest until then.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 09:40:52 AM »
Last year, for 13k I got a Chevy VOLT premium(leather and that jazz) with 40k miles.

It goes 40-45 miles on 100% electric and then kicks on a gas generator (still drives on electric)

As long as you live under 40 miles from your job you will never use another drop of gasoline again.

Just throwing my hat in the ring for the Volt over the Nissan.

(remember for electric cars you will probably want to install a charging station at home, I did mine very cheaply, just a breaker for my box, cable, outlet install and a $150 off-brand charger)