Author Topic: Should I replace my toilet?  (Read 2066 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Should I replace my toilet?
« on: July 29, 2020, 11:16:02 AM »
Hello. My toilet tends to clog. I have to be really careful with toilet paper and poop all the time. This has been a problem the entire 7 years I have lived in my house. There are usually 2 people living here. It's probably a cheap toilet with a too small trap.
My hesitation is that I know I want to remodel the bathroom. I want to replace the flooring, get a new toilet, new sink and paint. Maybe I should just go ahead and do that?
I'm unemployed and working on changing careers. I do have the savings and the time. I'm not thrilled about it though.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: Should I replace my toilet?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 11:39:32 AM »
I'd be surprised if the toilet itself was the problem, more than likely it's the plumbing the toilet is tied into.   Get a plumber in there with a sewer cam and see what's going on.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:44:01 AM »
Any history of kids near the toilet? IE, could you have a toy stuck in it?

I replaced a toilet because we could tell there was something in it, but we couldn't get it out. Given some other issues with it, it made sense to replace rather than try to get the toy out.

But my guess is that your drain is clogged. A partially clogged drain will cause those symptoms.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 11:51:07 AM »
I wonder if something is still stuck in the trap of the toilet, or that it’s gotten so abrasive that it’s catching on stuff.  Are you only flushing TP and things that exited your body? Nothing else should be flushed.  No flushable wipes. No condoms.  No feminine sanitary products. 

But I just replaced 2 toilets on a rental because I was sick of dealing with the garbage design of 20+ year old eljer units that were constantly leaking from the tank (every year or 2 I was replacing the insides, bad design for the tank to bowl flange and bolts) A new toilet runs anywhere from $90-250 and should only take a couple of hours for install. I’m perfectly happy with, and prefer, the cheaper toilets.  And for 90$ and a couple of hours, I don’t have to worry about water damage on my ceilings anymore.

As fishindude said upthread though, it’s typically not the toilet.  Make sure the plumbing is clear, proper sized, and slopes correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 12:16:49 PM »
Is the problematic toilet an early model low-flow toilet from the 90s? If so, absolutely replace it.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 12:19:29 PM »

I replaced a toilet because we could tell there was something in it, but we couldn't get it out. Given some other issues with it, it made sense to replace rather than try to get the toy out.

But my guess is that your drain is clogged. A partially clogged drain will cause those symptoms.
I had to remove a toilet to remove a toothbrush my daughter flushed. I had to remove it to get to the underside. Years later that same toilet leaked just a tiny bit. I changed to wax ring, and found it still leaked, I found a hairline crack in the ceramic.
I bought a new toilet. I like the new toilet as you can do a 1/2 flush or a full flush just by holding the handle down a little bit longer, I don't like the fact that it has a little higher seat.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 12:40:12 PM »
Are you only flushing TP and things that exited your body?

Absolutely

Is the problematic toilet an early model low-flow toilet from the 90s? If so, absolutely replace it.

The only number I could find is 83. So maybe 1983?

No kids

The HOA includes a plumber and I could have them take a look at the plumbing. The house was built in 1937. I don't know if they've replaced the pipes since then or is it worth doing. For what it's worth though stuff seems to get trapped as soon as it flushes which seems to be a trap issue and not a clog in the pipe itself.

TMI Warning: I have to arrange my poop so it doesn't snap in half and become too thick to go down.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 11:45:57 AM »
If it were me, I'd replace it. Many of the older high-water toilets had terrible trap designs that carried over to the early low-water toilets making them all a problem for *ahem* heavy loads. A decent new one shouldn't be all that expensive and toilets are usually pretty easy to replace. Home Depot, for example, has a flush rating on their toilets to get a good idea of what they are capable of handling. Online reviews can be helpful (and hilarious).

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 02:03:05 PM »
Online reviews can be helpful (and hilarious).

Lol, thanks.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 02:24:08 PM »
We replaced a toilet at our old house and it was a big improvement in not clogging.  It's a little gross but not really that hard a job if you are strong enough to lift the old and new toilet. 

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 11:39:03 AM »
Replaced the old toilet in our house just to get an elongated bowl. Bought the Home Depot version. It was awful. Lived with weak flushing, constant clogging, difficult cleaning, and a lack of self-cleaning / stinking for a year. Yet it was brand new so I couldn’t justify spending another $100 plus all the labor involved. Finally I’d had enough and replaced it with Lowe’s cheapest toilet. Problems solved.

The lesson, as with most of home improvement and mechanics, is that bad design cannot be repaired. Don’t suffer a bad design any longer than you have to.

That said, before you replace, check the flapper. Does it close before most of the water in the tank is emptied? If so, adjust the flapper strap/chain so it doesn’t do this.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 03:55:17 PM »
I will check the flapper.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 05:01:35 PM »
You might also consider getting one of the taller toilets.  Easier to stand up if you have knee or back troubles.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 05:34:15 PM »
I’m like a broken record on these forums about those stupid ass tall toilets. I’ve said it a half dozen times on other toilet threads. 

They SUCK. It’s like shitting 10 feet off the ground.  They’re so bad for you, someone invented a stool to sit in front to keep your legs on so you can actually be in a comfortable position.  (Squatty potty). 

In 10 years time, we’ll have holes in the wall for you to back into so you can shit standing up. 

Oh. I’m 6’1” and my back hurts all the damn time.  But I’ll be damned if I pick out to sit on a fancy ass throne toilet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 05:53:13 PM »
I had a 1990 toilet, clogged a lot, changed to new toilet last year problem solved. My wife installed it herself after watching you tube videos. There is a ring that you have to replace and it doesn’t come with the toilet, have to buy separately and I got a cheap Lowe’s toilet

SweatingInAR

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 03:25:57 PM »
I had terrible toilets in both bathrooms, and upgrading to modern Toto toilets was the best decision I made. I have learned that a "siphon jet" in a toilet makes a tremendous difference in its effectiveness while keeping water usage reasonable. I'm sure that many brands have them, but I was able to find a brand new Toto on offerup for less than $100.

Before selecting a new toilet, you need to measure the "rough in" distance. This is the distance from the mounting bolts to your wall. 10", 12", and 14" models are common in the US.

blingwrx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 11:20:06 PM »
Replace, It’s a no brainer, a toilet costs less than $100 these days and it’s easy enough to replace yourself in 20 mins. If you have extra money and want to get something nicer then $200-$250 can get you a Elongated model that flushes with one turn every time.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 12:52:35 PM »
IMO most toilets should probably be replaced!

Its only $100, relatively easy, and only a 4/10 on the gross factor. It is a fantastic life still to have honestly.

Honestly they are kind of amazing, they cost $100 and last somewhere north of 10 years with constant use. One heck of a deal if you ask me.

So yeah replace yours, might as well if you are going to pull it anyways.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »
If you have extra money and want to get something nicer then $200-$250 can get you a Elongated model that flushes with one turn every time.
Is there a particular brand you like?

blingwrx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 07:17:11 PM »
If you have extra money and want to get something nicer then $200-$250 can get you a Elongated model that flushes with one turn every time.
Is there a particular brand you like?
I personally like the American standard champ max 4 elongated right height toilet which you can get at Home Depot for $199.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-Champion-4-Max-Tall-Height-2-Piece-HET-1-28-GPF-Single-Flush-Elongated-Toilet-in-White-with-Slow-Close-Seat-2586-128ST-020/203182005

I have this installed in two bathrooms and have used it for more than 5 years. It’s designed to reduce clogs and get everything flushed away in a single flush. Me being a 6 ft guy, the taller elongated toilet is more comfortable. The slow close seat is nice, no more slamming toilet seats.

I also bought one of those water efficient toilets before and I wouldn’t recommend those. For those sometimes you need to flush twice to get things to go down so it defeats the purpose of saving water.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 10:41:18 AM »
Thank you. I'm so tired of flushing twice. It's ridiculous.

CharlesBronzee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2020, 06:31:21 PM »
I vote replace it. My 20 yr old toilet (builder original) kept on clogging when my 20 yr old son who is often constipated uses it.

I researched which toilet brand/model are good at flushing and 2 came out on top- American Standard Champion and Kohler Cimarron. I replaced mine with Kohlsr Cimarron - zero clogs ever since (6 months now).

Igelfreundin

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2020, 06:59:35 PM »
It is SOOO worth having a toilet that just functions. For those of you who hate high modern toilets (like me) I got one of these and it helped a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Squatty-Potty-Original-Bathroom-Toilet/dp/B007BISCT0

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk