Author Topic: Should I rent out my house for 6 months ?  (Read 4014 times)

retiredat58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Should I rent out my house for 6 months ?
« on: February 06, 2016, 12:15:44 PM »
I will be living in another city for 6 months and was considering renting out my home,  or at least a room, during that time. I will be making trips back home approximately once every 6 weeks and would stay overnight. I live within 20 miles of a university and 10 miles from a teaching medical center. If I decide to do this I'd like to rent it to a visiting professor, medical student doing a rotation, or a traveling nurse.

Your thoughts/ideas ?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Should I rent out my house for 6 months ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 12:23:37 PM »
Posting to follow, as I might be interested in doing a similar thing at some point.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »
If you do this, check references! You also might want to have a property manager, or a good friend to check on things.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 09:57:17 AM »
Sure, if you're comfortable with it.  You're leaving thousands of dollars on the table to avoid a little hassle, otherwise.  I definitely would.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

wwweb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 10:47:33 AM »
How would you handle maintenance while you were away? Would you hire a property manager? What happens if you get a visiting professor who calls you every time a light bulb burns out?

I don't think renting out your house is a bad idea, but it has the potential to be a bit of a pain. Is the additional rental income for six months worth the hassle of being a distance landlord?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:01:23 PM »
Your thoughts/ideas ?

I have thought of doing this, but the hassles of having to move my stuff out [at least the valuables], insurance/risk issues and trouble of finding/vetting a suitable renter have put me off.

If I could find a friend that needed a place to stay at the same time as I was away I would go that route, but so far that hasn't worked out.

I've  known people who have done this and have heard both good experiences and horror stories..