Author Topic: Should I paint the exterior of my house?  (Read 8939 times)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Should I paint the exterior of my house?
« on: July 28, 2017, 03:00:25 PM »
My 12 year old house needs to be painted.  It has the original paint job and the HOA is encouraging everyone to get on the stick and bite the bullet.

It's a standard house in suburbia, with a main floor and a bonus room over the garage.  Interior square footage is about 1800 square feet.  The highest point on the exterior roofline is about 20 feet.  It has simple lines.  The majority of the exterior is something called hardiboard; the trim pieces are some form of particleboard.

Before painting it needs some of the trim boards to be screwed back down, pressure washed I guess, plus some caulking and priming.  I also have two hardiboard planks that need to be replaced.

I have modest to average DIY skills.  My vehicle (a Lexus sedan) is not conducive to transporting large items like ladders, but I can fit smaller items in it (like 5 gallon paint cans and possbly a pressure washer.

I have been given two quotes:  $4,200 by a guy I didn't trust and doesn't have workman's comp, and $4,820 from a professional, well-known guy in the area who does have workman's comp.

The two factors that I kind of need to figure out are:

1.  How much would I save if I provided the labor, but maybe had to buy the paint at customer-rather-than-contractor prices, and had to borrow/rent/buy-and-resell tools such as paint rollers, ladders, pressure washer, etc.?  If it's about half, I'm probably on the fence.  If it's more like 2/3, I'm pretty interested.

2.  What are the chances, and how can I minimize them, of me falling off a ladder or other high spot and incurring injuries that result in medical bills exceeding my savings?  So far my thoughts include being careful with the ladder and using extension poles with paint rollers to get the high spots, and taking my time.

All advice welcome!

TrMama

Re: Should I paint the exterior of my house?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 03:33:20 PM »
I'm in the same spot. Except that we have eleventy-million miles of contrast trim which have driven the quotes into the $6-7K range. Also, some of the sides are very high and hard to reach. I already own basic rollers, scrapers, trays, etc.

My plan is:

1. Hire out the pressure washing part. I despise pressure washing and we have a great guy who does our roof. I estimate he'll charge $500-1000.

2. Rent scaffolding and paint all the lower sections myself. Scaffolding allows you to spend more time painting and less time moving the ladder. I also find it less scary. Rent scaffolding and see if you get get delivery/pickup. Estimate a couple hundred bucks.

3. I'll also paint much of the extraneous contrast trim in the primary color so I don't spend my entire summer "cutting in". Most of my neighbours who've already painted have done the same.

4. Possibly hire out the upper sections to someone less afraid of heights than I. Estimate $2000.

In my case, I think I'll cut the $6K estimate in half by doing half the work myself. I'll also get to teach my kids how to paint. Bonus!

I don't think painters give you a "deal" on paint. In fact, I think there's usually a markup involved when contractors supply materials.

As for getting hurt, how clumsy are you? Do you already have a bunch of injuries from walking on flat ground in sensible shoes? If so, hire it out. If not, just be careful.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 09:44:15 PM »
What I meant about the paint price is this:

I know that painters can buy their paint at a price lower than I, as some random guy walking into Lowe's, can.  I was trying to point out that doing it myself means the needed paint will cost more, that's all.

I'm not particularly clumsy, although I did stumble climbing down off a ladder just a week ago.  And it only takes one fall off a high ladder to ruin one's day and budget.

Good idea on the scaffolding, I'll keep it in mind.  Also, good comment on the extraneous trim.  In my case it is already painted the main color of the house except for the fascia-boards (I think that's the right term) along the roof line and some trim around the windows and doors.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 12:48:46 AM »
Having identical trim boards may mean that your home can be sprayed instead of rolled on.

For me, it would always be cheaper to paint myself.  Homeowners here can get 40% off if they buy in bulk, just ask the manager of the store.  I own ladders already.  The trade off is the enormous number of hours spent painting, as I only get in 5 hour days due to my schedule, and not every day, set up and clean up take some of that time.  My summer would be gone, and no other handiwork chores would get done.

I washed the house myself, and paid someone else to paint.  They did not even need to spend time to mask off, it was such a talented team.  I spent money for the super duper best paint, so we don't need to repaint anytime soon.

I will paint my own trim, however, over time. (several years)

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 06:09:26 AM »
My father used to paint 1 side of our house every summer.  I made fun of him for it as a kid, but now that I am no longer a snotty kid and actually own my own home, it was a brilliant idea.

Can you DYI and do 1/2 this summer, 1/2 next? 

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 07:50:08 AM »
We've just been through this. A quote for our whole house was £1k. We then got a quote just for the side wall and fascias which was too high for either of us to feel comfortable. The wall alone was £375 so we got that done and painted the rest ourselves, borrowing a ladder from a neighbour and paint was £48 I think for 3 x 2.5 litres (3 for 2 offer) which we also got our hired painter to use. So we feel like we've saved around £560 including paint brush / rollers too. We have the time though, which is another factor. Good luck!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »
I am FIREd and have the time.

I also have some teenaged children I might be able to conscript.  Doing a whole house by oneself seems a little daunting.

I could split it up as CindyBS suggests, either front/back or one side at a time, or one color tone then the other, or somesuch combination.

Goldielocks, thanks for the tip on paint cost, I will try that.

jade, I'm not sure why but I have a hard time splitting the job up...for me it would be an all or nothing myself or someone else.  Despite my weirdness, it's definitely a good idea.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 01:13:45 PM »
I am FIREd and have the time.

I also have some teenaged children I might be able to conscript.  Doing a whole house by oneself seems a little daunting.

I could split it up as CindyBS suggests, either front/back or one side at a time, or one color tone then the other, or somesuch combination.

Goldielocks, thanks for the tip on paint cost, I will try that.

jade, I'm not sure why but I have a hard time splitting the job up...for me it would be an all or nothing myself or someone else.  Despite my weirdness, it's definitely a good idea.

Most houses have one exposure that needs repainting faster than the others... so this is actually a practical idea.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »
^ In my case I think this is the western exposure since it gets the afternoon and evening sun.  Fortunately for me, that is also the street-facing side of my house, which is what the HOA probably cares about most.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 06:46:05 PM »
I painted the front side of one of our rentals last summer. It was peeling way worse than the rest, but thankfully the very peak of the second story looked fine. It took me two saturdays to scrape/paint. My husband took two ladders and a walk board over in the mornings and got them set up for me, and I got to work. It was hot and I HATE heights, but it cost me $50 in paint and some time. I keep an eye on the other sides of the house so I can do them as needed in the same fashion.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 07:18:27 PM »
The main way to stay uninjured -- and when you're doing your own work you can do this -- is get off the ladder before you're really tired. Take breaks often. (Real breaks! Lie down in the yard and look at the sky.) And don't try to to reach very far: just climb back down and move the ladder over. If you're too tired to move the ladder, then you're too tired to be on it :-)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 09:09:26 PM »
So, if you're going to paint, some tips.

Get good quality paint. It'll go on better, look better, last longer.
Use good quality paintbrushes, etc. If you're getting your brushes from the dollar store, don't. Good quality brushes make it easier to paint and produce a much better paint job. Which will look better and last longer.
If you need to prime (bare wood for sure), get a good quality primer.
Read the paint can. If it says to let it dry x hours between coats, then do so. Doesn't hurt to go longer, especially if it's humid. Also pay attention to temperature limits.
Do not fudge the prep work. Just, don't. You will pay for it in the end. Cleaning, scraping, caulk, etc.
Don't push your height limits too far. I would love to paint all the windows myself, it would save a bunch of money. However, I may be able to get up to the 2nd floor windows, but I'd never get down the ladder and the fire department will be plucking me from the ladder. I won't be painting those ones. I will probably do the lower windows that I can get to.

Painting is great for DIY. With some patience and a bit of practice, you can get a good paint job done pretty inexpensively. Kids can help paint as well - I distinctly remember painting around age 6-7. Yeah, it was easy stuff, but it was still the actual paint job. You just have to supervise them!

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »
For paint, seriously seriously seriously spend more on Sherwin Williams or similar. Go to a real paint store.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »
Are the offerings at Lowe's considered decent paint?

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 05:45:58 PM »

No.

You'll spend more on paint going to a higher quality paint, but you'll save a TON of time.

I mostly use Sherwin Williams just because it's convenient to my house, but Benjamin Moore is also good. Basically when you spend more you get better base resin (less fading, slower weathering, so longer paint life) lower water content, higher pigment levels (so fewer coats), and better additives to control the viscosity (prevent drips).

The nicer stores typically actually help you figure out what you need.

SW runs periodic 30-40% sales. You can buy the paint then and take it back later to be tinted. I found it nearly as cheap as the big box stores for better quality.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »

No.

You'll spend more on paint going to a higher quality paint, but you'll save a TON of time.

I mostly use Sherwin Williams just because it's convenient to my house, but Benjamin Moore is also good. Basically when you spend more you get better base resin (less fading, slower weathering, so longer paint life) lower water content, higher pigment levels (so fewer coats), and better additives to control the viscosity (prevent drips).

SW runs periodic 30-40% sales. You can buy the paint then and take it back later to be tinted. I found it nearly as cheap as the big box stores for better quality.

Ok everyone, be honest. A lot of the reason people like or don't like paints has to do with preference on how it goes on. Some people really want a paint that will cover in 1 coat. Other people are fine with or prefer 2 coats for coverage. It also depends on what you're painting. If you have a house with intricate woodwook and you use a thicker paint, you're going to end up with a sloppy looking paint job, no matter what you do. You actually NEED a thin paint in those cases.

Conditions also matter. If you've got kids splattering food all over the house, or live on the ocean front and the house is pounded with wind and rain, some paints just can't take that kind of abuse. Other times, your run of the mill paint will be just fine.

Myself, I don't like Benjamin Moore paints. I don't like how they go on! No information on long term durability.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 08:33:43 PM »
But viscosity doesn't tell you everything. Cheap paints are often thickened so they can maintain a high water concentration but keep pigment and resin costs low.

I agree that how viscous a paint is can be mostly personal preference. But a cheap paint will still have less durable resin and less pigment.

I am a paint engineer, full disclosure. I don't work for a paint company, I have no brand loyalty through my job. But knowing the chemistry, working on extended durability at work, and painting my own house, I have opinions :)

Viscosity aside, paint from Lowe's will crack/craze/fade much faster than high quality paint. Whether you put on one coat or three, you'll be repainting sooner with cheap paint.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 03:44:41 AM »
For paint, seriously seriously seriously spend more on Sherwin Williams or similar. Go to a real paint store.

Buy it during a sale. They have unannounced sales and they send an email. Usually a 30% off sale is frequent, but the 40% off is the most I have seen. You can even buy the paint you need, knowing the color you are likely to buy, and then come back later with your receipt to get rhe paint mixed to take home. This way, you can lock in the savings if you are not ready to bring it home yet.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 05:50:13 AM »
This discussion makes me smile, because I remember my dad and grandfather painting one side of the house every summer. They worked their way around the house in 4 years, and it was generally time to start over (Florida - strong sun, salt air, the occasional hurricane.)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 03:09:18 PM »

No.

I used Dulux, and I think General paint is pretty good.  All the labels are intended for contractors as well as homeowners, and have their top line products, which is what you want.  (e.g., general paint / SW entry level budget paints are not where near as good as the top line paint)   Bonus, is that these are the stores that will give you the bulk discounts after you talk with the manager about how much you intend to buy.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 04:42:57 AM »
We're in the UK and used trade weathershield Dulux which our painter said is all he will use. It was  so easy to apply compared to other paints we've used and we would go with that in future. Not sure if it's available in US?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 04:18:12 PM »
OK, I just checked with Sherwin Williams today and they have their 40% off super sale starting 9/21.  Which works for me.  It is still $36 per gallon, but I think the niceness of working with good paint will be worth the expense.  The SW guy said painting in the fall is fine.

Plus, I asked him to guestimate how much paint I would need, and he said about 10 gallons.  Even if he's off by a factor of 2 - yes, I'll do the math and figure out what I actually need - that would still be $36 x 20 which is about $720 in paint.  Throw in about $200 for a ladder and another $100 or $200 for miscellaneous supplies, and I'm looking at only about $1K for the whole thing, or about 80% less than the guy I'd pay to do it.

They had a 16 or 20 foot telescoping ladder for like $180.  Seemed reasonable; maybe I can sell it after I'm done.

I'm going to use rollers (mostly) and brushes (as needed).  Talked to the guy about using spray guns; my opinion is that I won't climb the learning curve with them.  Maybe smart, maybe not.

I figure I'll be careful and go slow and hopefully not get hurt.  I know they aren't hiring college graduates to do the painting, so I figure I can figure out how to be safe.  Slow and thoughtful probably addresses most of it.

I've actually already picked out colors and am working on getting HOA color approval.

Next step is to figure out how to / whether to remove gutters and downspouts in order to paint the trim underneath.  I'm inclined to remove them; that's what the SW guy recommended.

Oh, and there is a DirectTV satellite dish on my home courtesy of the previous owners.  Will have to figure out how to / whether to paint over / under / around the wiring going into the exterior wall.  Fortunately it is down on a low corner of the roof so easily accessible.

Finally - pressure washing:  rent an actual pressure washer, or just get a spray gun and put that on the end of a garden hose?  I can rent a pressure washer for about $65 and probably get it all done in an hour or two.  In general I prefer to own rather than rent because I don't like to go fast on anything -- see above comments about injury.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »
Consumer Reports has one Lowe's paint (Valspar Duramax) at near comparable quality to SW's Emerald Exterior ($72/g). Some of the other Lowe's paints are pretty crappy, as is SW's Resilience line.

Sometime their testing isn't very comparable to real-life situations but their paint ratings are, from my experience. When every painter was pushing SW Superpaint 10 years ago, I used Kelly Moore, which received high ratings at the time and it still looks great (on hardie planks).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »
Rent an actual power washer. They're fun, especially on a hot day. World of difference from a hose nozzle. HUGE.

Next, do not skimp on prep! You Tube is your friend. Everything you need to know is available at your fingertips. Learn, buy the right supplies, then do.

DH is a painting contractor. I will ask him about exterior paint preferences. He just bought paint to re-do our ten-year-new house.* I know it was 50% off at PPG Pittsburgh Paints. BTW, that was a retail sale, not a contractor price. The contractor price is good, but not as good as 50% off.

Re: Lowe's paints, we were there one night buying appliances for a newly purchased rental property that we were renovating. We were buying there because they had a good sale on entire suites of appliances, which is what we needed. As we meandered through the paint dept, exhausted from the big expenditure, someone near the paint section handed us a much-photocopied flyer to the effect that some well-rated paint was 50% off that day only. Did I mention it was 30 minutes before closing? We were tired and hungry, but 50% off is 50% off! We quickly chose a color and ordered the paint. I'm happy to report that it went on fine. But exterior paint is a whole different thing. It gets subjected to much harsher conditions.

My point is that random, unadvertised sales do happen at Lowe's. And painting a whole damn house is a lot of work, so the cost of the paint is the least of it. Reward your efforts by using the best damn paint you can afford to buy.

DH is outside working with a concrete saw, so I'm not going to interrupt him. When he's finished and cleaned up, I'll ask him for his thoughts and post more.

*When your husband is a painting contractor, it is highly possible that he will buy the paint for the exterior of your house without even consulting you ;-). OTOH, he can fix anything and takes good care of everything, so I guess I'm okay with that.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 07:21:07 PM »
Well, that was fast!

DH wants to know if it's James Hardie Cement Board of James Hardie Pressboard? He's betting the latter, based on the fact that you mentioned needing to replace two boards after only 12 years.

I'll wait right here...

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 07:45:40 PM »
We are having a pro do it. They will check the wood make repairs etc. While expensive, the previous owners didn't do a thing to help the home. At 180 years old, the house should have a pro do it initially. Maybe we will later, but not yet.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 10:15:28 PM »
Well, that was fast!

DH wants to know if it's James Hardie Cement Board of James Hardie Pressboard? He's betting the latter, based on the fact that you mentioned needing to replace two boards after only 12 years.

I'll wait right here...

I think it's the cement board, but I'm really not 100% sure on that.  The replacement of the two boards is only due to me hiring a guy to mow my lawn one time and said mower guy ramming his mower into the boards and creating holes with his commercial mowing device.  #nothappytohavepaidforthemowonlytodiscovermoredamagetomyhouse.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 10:57:02 PM »
Well, that was fast!

I'll wait right here...

I think it's the cement board, but I'm really not 100% sure on that.  The replacement of the two boards is only due to me hiring a guy to mow my lawn one time and said mower guy ramming his mower into the boards and creating holes with his commercial mowing device.  #nothappytohavepaidforthemowonlytodiscovermoredamagetomyhouse.
DH says cementboard is more likely to crack than get hole punches. Look closely at the holes. If it's pressboard it's going to be very flaky, like particleboard. Cementboard might fray a bit, but will still look solid.

I'm (we're) asking because the paint prep is different depending on which material it is.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 11:08:38 AM »
Well, that was fast!

I'll wait right here...

DH says cementboard is more likely to crack than get hole punches. Look closely at the holes. If it's pressboard it's going to be very flaky, like particleboard. Cementboard might fray a bit, but will still look solid.

I'm (we're) asking because the paint prep is different depending on which material it is.

For some reason I can't upload an image here, so I put it on photobucket:

http://s268.photobucket.com/user/secondcor521/media/siding.jpg.html

Another question:  Can I patch it instead of replace the whole board?  (Damaged area in picture is about 2" x 8")
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:15:39 AM by secondcor521 »

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 11:38:22 AM »
My Dad taught me to paint.  Gave me a couple of new brushes and pointed to a wheelbarrow full of paint cans, said start in the back and go around the house; try to stay in the shade. Simple one story house, highest  paintable point about 20 feet above ground.

Weather was over a hundred degrees almost every day that summer.  Unusually hot then, not so much now.  Paint brand was what they were selling in the PX- don't remember now, except the name started with 'v'. Latex, no primer, over asbestos-cement siding, pink! and gray (guess that was a thing in the 50s when the siding was added.)  Paint on the siding is still perfect now, forty-nine years later.  Wooden eaves and window trim in desperate need of prep and paint.  Not my job anymore.

Took a single 22 year old about three weeks to do it all, working for room, board and tuition.  Brushes were worn out at the end.  Ran short by about three gallons on the siding and one of trim.  Lucky, not a custom mixed color so just bought more of the same.  Oddly, I remember the color name for the main body: sugarbeet (off-white ivorish color).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:40:30 AM by bobechs »

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2017, 11:25:34 AM »
I've done a lot of painting in my life and I'd like to share a few things I've learned...  you all might like it, you might not, who knows.

Decades ago, when parents and grandparents were repainting houses fairly often, paint was not nearly as high quality as it is now.  There was a lot of milk based paint, as well, and thankfully, most don't bother with that kind of paint anymore... unless they are wanting retro-vintage lives, but it is hardly worth it when it comes to paint quality.

Going to "official paint stores" isn't the wrong answer, but when it comes to latex based exterior paint, it is not much different than what you get at Lowes or Home Depot.  I personally don't spend the money any more.  Official paint stores are more of a difference on interior paints, but still not that much of a difference.  The other stores have very high quality paint now, you can see and feel the difference.

Also, no paint from any store is going to look brand new in 10 years - if you have a painted house, and you are taking care of it yourself, invest in a gas powered pressure washer, and a paint sprayer - the $200 electric paint sprayers, not the ones you need a compressor for...  and get familiar with them.  They are worth it.

My husband and I just finished painting our 2 story brick house ourselves, and it looks amazing. Under a thousand dollars.  We just used a ladder, some flashing to shield the extra spray, and a brush to take care of runs.  No scaffolding, we just took our time with the ladder.  Got it done in a week.

I wish you all luck, it is not a small project.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 12:10:03 AM »
Well, that was fast!

I'll wait right here...

For some reason I can't upload an image here, so I put it on photobucket:

http://s268.photobucket.com/user/secondcor521/media/siding.jpg.html

Another question:  Can I patch it instead of replace the whole board?  (Damaged area in picture is about 2" x 8")
Sorry, I just saw this. DH is asleep, so I'll show this to him after work tomorrow. Standby for more info. PS i totally dig your tag. Very funny.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 08:00:07 AM »
^ Thanks, but all I can take credit for is "secondcor521" and "siding.jpg".  The rest is photobucket's naming.

Anyway, I should add that on Lowe's recommendation I bought a cement patch kit which is basically a quickcrete mortar mix plus some sort of liquid binder.  Would appreciate knowing if your DH thinks that would work.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »
No, I meant "Big cattle, no hat." Cracks me up!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 11:08:17 AM »
No, I meant "Big cattle, no hat." Cracks me up!

Oh that.  Thanks!  I think it's funny too and glad someone got the reference.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 05:02:24 PM »
Do you have any neighbors that have recently painted?  Find out who they used & price.

Or other neighbors that plan to do it too?  Maybe you can get a group discount.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »
Just checking in. We had a "thing" to attend this evening that started earlier than I realized, so DH has not seen photo yet.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:24:33 AM by Dicey »

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 12:55:30 AM »
  The trade off is the enormous number of hours spent painting, as I only get in 5 hour days due to my schedule, and not every day, set up and clean up take some of that time. 

If you cover brushes and rollers in cling film (saran wrap?), you don't need to wash them out after every session. There is also a tub of gel they sell over here, drop the paint brushes in at the end of the day, wipe and start painting in the morning. I haven't used the gel but a friend who is a professional decorator swears by the cling film.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 08:28:33 AM »
When you say 12 year old house, you mean it was built in 2005, not that you've been living in it for 12 years, right?  We are dealing with repainting a small area that was unbeknownst to us covered with lead paint, and it has been a nightmare.  Ended up throwing away a shop-vac and several other tools that we accidentally contaminated.  Bought a new HEPA shop-vac, takes an hour to clean up every day.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »
The whole subdivision is in the process of painting.  I've gotten several names, but only a few quotes so far.  At this point I'm still pretty sure I'm going to do it myself - partly it's the price, and partly because I have the time, and partly because I think I can do a better job because I'll care more and I think the learning curve to painting decently is fairly quick.

Thanks for the saran wrap tip, I'll probably try that.

And yes, my house was built in 2005 or so.  The previous owners bought it from the builder; I bought it from them in 2006.  No lead paint (and no popcorn ceilings - my parents' house had those), thankfully.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 09:30:52 AM »
+1 on the saran wrap tip. It works. I wrap the brush with plastic wrap, then put it all in a gallon ziplock bag.

You'll see that the work is (as is commonly said) 90% prep and 10% painting.  I love painting, but most of our time has been spent: laying down tarps; stripping old paint; vacuuming; wiping down the surface; sanding;  priming (okay, that counts as painting); puttying; priming again; sanding more; wiping down more... haven't gotten to paint yet!

It also took some time to figure out how to use our paint sprayer well. Hilarity ensued when the cover of the paint cup flew off and I got nicely primed. 

If you've got a lot of time, go for it! Just remember you are trading time for expertise...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!