Author Topic: Should I move?  (Read 4304 times)

jr1029

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Should I move?
« on: March 05, 2014, 06:17:30 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:47:35 PM by jr1029 »

spoonman

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Should I move?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
The PNW comes to mind, but I would also consider Colorado.  The problem with places with year-round good weather, such as California, is that the cost of living tends to be high.

Since you are single, the one factor you should consider is how moving to a new location would affect finding a good partner.  If you move to a rural area the pool of candidates will be presumably lower.

nicknageli

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:28 PM »
Someone else posted this link to another thread here lately.  I thought it was interesting.

"7 Big Relocation Mistakes"

http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2012/02/11/7-big-relocation-mistakes/ 

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »
Sounds like Boston.... my son went there for school and stayed, but he is younger - mid 20s. I helped him buy a condo.  Housing market fits the definition of "insane,"  especially compared to some of the softer areas in the country like where I am. We had to learn that offers to purchase real estate are made not below the asking price, but above.  He will stay as long as he likes it. 

Babymoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 11:57:21 PM »
I live in NZ so I'm not much help. But I keep seeing articles talking about Texas now being the place to be: http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/02/25/texas-dominates-the-best-cities-for-good-jobs/

ch12

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:29:06 PM »
I'm in my mid 30s, single, living in an expensive major city. Came for school and never left. I like it here well enough, lots of friends and a cushy job (and even a great side gig) but no family ties and wondering if it makes sense to move somewhere cheaper.. and potentially warmer :)

Financial specifics:
- Gross income ~$98k. I work in a field where ironically moving to a more rural area or smaller city would likely INCREASE this by 10-20%.
- Student loan debt currently in the range of $51k (YIKES)
- No other debt (recently paid off my car)
- ~ $60k in my 403b
- $1500/month rent - this is pretty cheap for my city. I am not having roommates!

At my current rate, I'll have student loans gone in a few years. I'd like to buy a house but prices here are just insane. Market is hot hot.

If I moved to a more rural area (out of state probably) I could potentially pay off loans, buy a house, have a yard for a dog, etc. But I'd be leaving my sweet job and friends behind. I'd like to eventually live someplace more conducive to year-round outdoor recreation, and someplace with mountains, and the longer I wait the harder it will be to leave.

In my situation, would you leave?  (and where would you move? I'm thinking pac NW at this point)

YMMV, but I'd stay if I had friends and a cushy job. Frankly, if I had a cushy job in NYC, where quite a few of my friends live, I'd move there in a heartbeat. You know what's Mustachian? Peak happiness

I live with my best friend (friends since I was 13) in Madison, a college town of around 560k people. I work at a software company that is on the best places to work lists. I save a pretty high percentage of my paycheck, and I'd forgo those savings (and my best friend's excellent company) for an equivalent job near my larger friend group in NYC. I have a good, solid life here, but your post made me look over the fence.

With that said, I've totally thought about moving out to Tacoma, where one of my close friends lives. The weather is better there, and the cost of living is probably lower than where you are. You could have a yard for a dog and make more money. The upside just isn't worth the downside of leaving a solid group of friends and a cushy job.