Author Topic: Should I Move  (Read 1648 times)

historian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Should I Move
« on: June 07, 2018, 09:09:47 AM »
I will have a possible job offer next week.  Relevant information below:

Current Salary:  52K
New Salary:  62K
Current House: Mortgage has 35K left, worth 70-75K.
New House:  Approximately 175-200K

Cost of Living based on Sperling Best Places:  https://bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/
  62K equals 45K

Job title is better and I'm in a better position (job politics suck at current place and moving to smaller company would mean less stress)

Other Items:  Currently looking for a different career (new job would be same career moving up), but not having as much luck as I would hope (I've got to round 4 of interviews twice, only to get dinged), currently have about 50-60 dings in that new field.

What says the hive mind of Mustachians?

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Should I Move
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:00:46 AM »
Col adjusted, it's a pay cut. It's not in the field you want to move into, and you have to move (which is expensive and a hassle). I'd pass. Anything you can do to make your current job more tolerable while you keep interviewing in the new field?

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:06:21 AM »
Agree with wordnerd.

historian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »
Col adjusted, it's a pay cut. It's not in the field you want to move into, and you have to move (which is expensive and a hassle). I'd pass. Anything you can do to make your current job more tolerable while you keep interviewing in the new field?

Sadly not much.  The politics is ugly.  I'm just not sure if I would get the job in the other field (not that this is guaranteed, but I've got an in person interview. 

COL is wonky for me, because almost everything would be a pay cut (moving 45 minutes away to the large metropolitan area in the state would require about a 10k raise).

I appreciate the thoughts.  I'm thinking this way, but need some people to reassure me if I do get an offer.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!