Author Topic: Should I max out 403b and 457b?  (Read 1543 times)

casanova

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Should I max out 403b and 457b?
« on: December 02, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »
Since learning about this sight my eyes have been opened to something that I had never even thought possible: retiring in only a few years! After crunching the numbers I believe I can get it done in the next 5 years, at which point I'll still be in my 30s.

After everything I've read it seems that the best way to take advantage of the tax breaks is to max out IRA accounts and then do the Roth IRA conversion ladder. Here's my question. What about if I might be retiring to Canada? That's where both my wife and I are from and where we MAY return. Moving is a big decision so truth is we're not sure. At this point I'd just like to keep things as flexible as possible.

So what should we do? Max out the IRAs (I have access to a 403b and 457b at work)? If we were to move to Canada I believe we would have to empty these accounts. That means early withdrawal penalty. And taxation on the whole amount as if that was my annual income. Or should we just invest take home pay after tax and not worry any of the complications?

I know this is a tough one, but hoping someone might have already worked this out. Thanks!