Author Topic: Should I look for another car?  (Read 3070 times)

captainawesome

• Stubble
Should I look for another car?
« on: July 22, 2013, 08:05:54 AM »
So since embracing the MM lifestyle, I've made several changes.  One of those was getting into a more fuel efficient/smarter car.  I sold off my jeep grand cherokee and paid in cash for a 2008 Mazda 3s (sedan sadly, couldn't find a hatch in 5mt or in good condition).  I've seen as high as 35mpg and as low as 29mpg combined when I sit in traffic.  I've cut down on my driving, as I carpool with another guy, so I only drive 2 weeks a month.  We have no kids yet, mechanically there's nothing wrong, and it is under 50k miles.  My question is this, should I look for a different car? Would it really make that much of a difference in terms of gas mileage/useability?  Or am I just overanalyzing a bit?

I've looked into a Mazda 3 hatch, Scion Xd or a Honda Fit sport, but most of the ones in my area with a 5mt are mostly newer (12-15k range).  I'd also like some sort of satisfaction while driving (hence why I picked the 3 in the first place) There is also the added factor that my wife might not be too happy with me getting yet another car, especially if I can't articulate some good reasons why I would need to get rid of a perfectly good car that will last me another 100k miles.  Thanks!

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: Should I look for another car?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:09:18 AM »
Let's see.  You purchased a car that is mechanically sound, has fewer than 50,000 miles on it, meets your transportation needs, is owned free and clear, and gets 29-35 mpg.  Why would you even think about selling it?

captainawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:01:36 AM »
Yeah you're right.  Not trying to be penny wise and pound foolish, just looking to cut spending and costs where I can.  I don't have any debt beyond a mortgage, so I'm trying to really get into where I can improve.  After putting it out there, it sounds like I don't really need to change anything at the moment (at least in terms of my car). Thanks

superhero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 12:11:21 PM »
It sounds like you made the right decision a while ago when you sold the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Besides the terrible gas mileage, those things are a money suck when they get older (Chrysler makes awful electrical systems). You're not going to find much better than a Mazda 3 when it comes to Mustachian cars. It's even MMM approved. Take care of the Mazda and drive it until it drives no more!

captainawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 12:35:16 PM »
Funny, I actually regretted the day I purchased that GC.  Looked great though.  But everyday I drove it I had that awful pit in my stomach feeling.  Had it less than 6 months.   Sold it right before they started coming out with all the recall issues and whatnot.  I do enjoy driving the 3 a lot more, and I feel I got a pretty good deal when I bought it (some exterior blemishes from the previous owner, but 100% mechanically sound).  Wish I had test driven a 3 back in the day, didn't know they were such fun cars

MoneyLifeandMore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Life and More
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:05:23 PM »
I'd keep the car you have now. Sounds like a pretty good option and as long as it meets your needs it should stick around for a long long time as long as you maintain it! No sense in paying transaction costs of getting a new car that would only be marginally better and may not last you as long.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!