Author Topic: Should I let my roommate own a blowtorch?  (Read 11918 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Should I let my roommate own a blowtorch?
« on: December 06, 2015, 11:10:59 AM »
This morning my roommates fire alarm went off. When he left I looked in his room and it looks like he recently bought a blowtorch. He is 24. He smokes pot. He has a snake.
Overall he seems pretty innocuous. He moved in last August, we have no problems so far. He prefers that I not go in his room obviously. Should I tell him to get rid of it? Am I in imminent danger? I don't know what he could be using a blowtorch for. It's about a foot high.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
Re: Should I let my roommate own a blowtorch?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 11:15:03 AM »
renters insurance?

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 11:19:30 AM »
This morning my roommates fire alarm went off. When he left I looked in his room and it looks like he recently bought a blowtorch. He is 24. He smokes pot. He has a snake.
Overall he seems pretty innocuous. He moved in last August, we have no problems so far. He prefers that I not go in his room obviously. Should I tell him to get rid of it? Am I in imminent danger? I don't know what he could be using a blowtorch for. It's about a foot high.

No way. We don't let tenants keep blowtorches or flammable chemicals of any kind in the house, even in our rental houses where we do not live, much less in our actual house.

If you want to not come across as the bad guy, tell him your homeowner's insurance won't let any resident (you or him) own blowtorches. "Sorry man, it's gotta go." Point him to some nearby storage facilities.

As for renter's insurance, it only covers his property and, if you're lucky, his liability for injuries to other people. If he burns down your house, his insurance might pay to replace his stuff (if his insurance covers blowtorch-induced fires, which it might not), but it won't pay for your stuff. You or your homeowner's insurance (if it covers this type of fire) are on the hook for that.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »
Fire extinguishers, escape ladder if you are not on ground floor.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 11:32:07 AM »

No way. We don't let tenants keep blowtorches or flammable chemicals of any kind in the house, even in our rental houses where we do not live, much less in our actual house.

If you want to not come across as the bad guy, tell him your homeowner's insurance won't let any resident (you or him) own blowtorches. "Sorry man, it's gotta go." Point him to some nearby storage facilities.

As for renter's insurance, it only covers his property and, if you're lucky, his liability for injuries to other people. If he burns down your house, his insurance might pay to replace his stuff (if his insurance covers blowtorch-induced fires, which it might not), but it won't pay for your stuff. You or your homeowner's insurance (if it covers this type of fire) are on the hook for that.

does the OP actually own the home?

how do you control your tenants owning blow torches or flammable chemicals? do you ban nail polish remover and cooking oil?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »

That's still going to be hard to explain. "So, when I was going through your bedroom the other day, I noticed you had a blowtorch..."

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »
That's still going to be hard to explain. "So, when I was going through your bedroom the other day, I noticed you had a blowtorch..."

Would be worth it though if I am in danger. Although I could say he left his door open. I do own the house.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 12:04:57 PM »
Your house, your rules? I'd ask him, not the internet, wtf does he have a blowtorch for? Because I cannot think of any reasons to use that in a bedroom.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 12:19:57 PM »
I find the internet to be very helpful for suggestions.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »
Indeed, and I find the story interesting, so I wasn't meaning to say that you shouldn't have posted. Apologies if it came off like that. I just meant that it seems really bizarre and I definitely think you have a right to ask him outright what he uses it for. And then come back and tell us here :)

Blatant

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 12:48:27 PM »
Did you see any sections of metal or galvanized pipe? When you says "smokes weed" and "blowtorch" I immediately think your roomie is trying to make hash oil/dabs. It is an incredibly flammable and dangerous proposition. Not on explosive level of a meth lab, but very dangerous.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 02:31:41 PM »
Well, i didn't ask, but I gave him the home insurance line and said his door was partially open (partially true). So he says he'll remove it. Thanks all.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 03:09:53 PM »

No, it's "I heard that smoke alarm the other day and knew it wasn't me, so before heading to work just to be on the safe side I glanced in your room and saw this blow torch..."

And the way you do it is you put it in the lease. Or if there is no lease, you explain it in person and/or in an email.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »
Did he say what he was using it for?

When I first saw the thread I thought of a massive blowtorch. Then when you said he smoked pot I thought maybe it was just one of those tiny ones used to light the bowl. Was it a tiny one or a big obnoxious one?

brotatochip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »
Blow torches are not illegal and even you are the owner, you are a shitty roommate for going through his room.  Speculate all you want but he has committed no crime.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 07:47:09 PM »
Blow torches are not illegal and even you are the owner, you are a shitty roommate for going through his room.  Speculate all you want but he has committed no crime.

The dude was suspicious of an unsafe situation. The fire alarm went on. He knows the roommate is getting high in his room (likely illegal depending where he lives).

If your roommate is getting high and fucking with a blowtorch, I think he has a right to be concerned.

I hope he didn't go snooping in drawers, but opening a door and looking inside of a roommates room in that situation is NOT that much out of line.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 08:31:21 PM »

The dude was suspicious of an unsafe situation. The fire alarm went on. He knows the roommate is getting high in his room (likely illegal depending where he lives).

If your roommate is getting high and fucking with a blowtorch, I think he has a right to be concerned.

I hope he didn't go snooping in drawers, but opening a door and looking inside of a roommates room in that situation is NOT that much out of line.
The OP doesn't appear to care about this 'likely illegal' activity, since the concern was solely for the blowtorch and not for drug use in his home.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 09:59:55 PM »
Glad the situation is resolved, mozar.

Blatant - my first mental picture was of the roommate making crème brûlée... 

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 10:01:54 PM »

Is there some rule somewhere that when you let someone live in your apartment or house, you can't have any rules or requirements other than "don't commit crimes"? That would mean you can't forbid smoking, playing loud music at 4AM, bringing home obnoxious strangers... the list goes on. Point being, there is no such rule and the very idea is ridiculous. You are not obligated to let someone live in your house as long as they're not committing any crimes.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:03:50 PM by Daleth »

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 06:50:42 AM »
Did you see any sections of metal or galvanized pipe? When you says "smokes weed" and "blowtorch" I immediately think your roomie is trying to make hash oil/dabs. It is an incredibly flammable and dangerous proposition. Not on explosive level of a meth lab, but very dangerous.

OP, obviously you have the upper hand here.  If I was you I'd just say something like "Hey man, the smoking isn't a big deal, but the fire alarm went off yesterday and when I went to make sure nothing was on fire I saw a blowtorch.  I'm cool with the smoking as long as you're careful, but a blowtorch in the bedroom is too much for me."  Consider offering to let him keep it on the condition he can store and use it in the backyard.

On the flip side, it may be the type of torch used by cooks to make creme brulee and brown the tops of things.  These are regularly stored inside by people without issue, but your safety threshold is your decision.  http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/45887/where-to-store-my-propane-torch

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 07:05:12 AM »

OP, obviously you have the upper hand here.  If I was you I'd just say something like "Hey man, the smoking isn't a big deal, but the fire alarm went off yesterday and when I went to make sure nothing was on fire I saw a blowtorch.  I'm cool with the smoking as long as you're careful, but a blowtorch in the bedroom is too much for me."  Consider offering to let him keep it on the condition he can store and use it in the backyard.

On the flip side, it may be the type of torch used by cooks to make creme brulee and brown the tops of things.  These are regularly stored inside by people without issue, but your safety threshold is your decision.  http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/45887/where-to-store-my-propane-torch
Except said roommate was home when the fire alarm went off, and he waited for the roommate to leave so he could go look in his room...

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 07:15:46 AM »
OK, I'm glad the issue is resolved, but the thread title sure woke me up this morning. Glad you're safe, but thanks for the laugh.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
Lol, no creme brulee. It was probably for pot.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 11:12:07 AM »
Why do you need a blowtorch for pot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
Lol, no creme brulee. It was probably for pot.

Of course it was.  I just mentioned that because it's not necessarily a huge safety hazard.  Cooks use them often and I don't think they're usually considered particularly dangerous.  That being said, cooks aren't using them in a bedroom while blitzed (at least, not most cooks).

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 11:59:06 AM »

There's a method where you need to get your bowl extremely hot. That's all I know.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 04:22:43 PM »
Candles are discouraged in bedrooms because they're a fire safety hazard. Wouldn't the same be true about a blowtorch?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 04:34:18 PM »
Candles are discouraged in bedrooms because they're a fire safety hazard. Wouldn't the same be true about a blowtorch?

Candles are generally left unattended while burning.  Blowtorches are (..usually?) only actively used. I'm unaware of many passive / constant-on uses for a blowtorch, though I wouldn't want one running inside my house either unless for legitimate/useful purposes (i.e. plumbing repair). I don't smoke, so I have no idea what use it would have in this context.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2015, 11:30:32 AM »

The OP doesn't appear to care about this 'likely illegal' activity, since the concern was solely for the blowtorch and not for drug use in his home.

Apparently not, but he should be! Even if he have no moral issue with the drug use1, as a homeowner/landlord he should be aware that law enforcement2 could seize his house via civil asset forfeiture and that's way too much risk to accept.

how do you control your tenants owning blow torches or flammable chemicals? do you ban nail polish remover and cooking oil?

FYI, one of those things is not even slightly like the other. If you tossed a match into cooking oil, the match would go out.

1. For the record: I don't use marijuana (or any other illegal drugs, for that matter) myself, but I couldn't care less whether other people use it.

2. That includes Federal law enforcement such as the DEA, even in places like Colorado that have legalized marijuana at the state/local level. Maybe a DEA raid is not likely, but I would see no reason to take even a small risk on my roommate's behalf. If I were partaking too, maybe, but just to let the roommate do it? No way.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »

Candles are generally left unattended while burning.  Blowtorches are (..usually?) only actively used. I'm unaware of many passive / constant-on uses for a blowtorch, though I wouldn't want one running inside my house either unless for legitimate/useful purposes (i.e. plumbing repair). I don't smoke, so I have no idea what use it would have in this context.

Yeah, good point. Still, there are likely to be a lot of flammable things in a bedroom, whether the flame is attended or not. (Curtains, bed linens, clothing.) I agree I wouldn't want a blowtorch being used in my house except for something like a plumbing job, or maybe for making creme brûlée in the kitchen.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2015, 11:48:35 AM »

Yeah, good point. Still, there are likely to be a lot of flammable things in a bedroom, whether the flame is attended or not. (Curtains, bed linens, clothing.) I agree I wouldn't want a blowtorch being used in my house except for something like a plumbing job, or maybe for making creme brûlée in the kitchen.

Indeed. I'd say that if you're going to let him use the blowtorch, at least insist he do so in the kitchen (or some other appropriate space with solid and ideally non-flammable surfaces) and make sure to keep a fire extinguisher handy.

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dabs

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 02:34:16 PM »
Sounds like this was peacefully resolved.  And may I say the title of this thread wins the internet today?

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2015, 02:48:26 PM »
I'll just bring it up since no one else did...
Is that the only room that is his? I have map gas torch I used to use when doing pipe soldering. For a while I had it in my bedroom, because I had all of my tools in the bedroom. I used there a few times to light candles or what not.

FYI Acetone is Flamable (flashpoint under 104C) Most cooking oils are combustible (flashpoint 104-160C) Some are not even combustible.  think Jack was exaggerating a bit. There is no way he could ban all flammable products. I'm sure he uses common sense....

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2015, 10:01:14 AM »
Dabs

Yep, I forgot that's what its called.

And may I say the title of this thread wins the internet today?

My life is complete.