Author Topic: Should I leave my job?  (Read 1735 times)

Murse

• Pencil Stache
Should I leave my job?
« on: February 05, 2022, 12:49:11 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am a registered nurse with an associates degree. I work for my state government at nearly 60$/hour. Net worth is between 1.3 million and 1.5 million depending on the day in the market. 29 y.o with SO and 1YO baby.

Covid at my worksite has really burned me out as well as the unprofessionalism of most of my colleagues. I have fought for nearly a year for them to make me part time. They are FINALLY doing it but I am now realizing I don’t think I can do the job part time either. I am concerned I am going to have a mental breakdown if I stay. On the other hand I am concerned I am going to look unprofessional leaving after they are finally allowing me to go part time.

Expenses are 60k/ year- I was really hoping to make it to a 1.8 million dollar net worth prior to leaving to account for health insurance/extra margin of error during FIRE.

I have an associates degree in nursing as said above. I may immediately look for another job (preferably part time) or go to school for a NP degree or maybe to change professions. IDK. I am pretty certain I will take at least a 10% hourly pay cut but it will honestly be worth it. My income is the only income we have. My wife keeps saying she is willing to go back to work but I don’t want to take her away from our baby and her hourly rate is probably worth 1/3 of mine.

On paper, my job as part time would be ideal/amazing to wait for my net worth to hit 1.8 million but emotionally I don’t think I can do it. I have not been able to be the husband/father I want to be over the last year due to the work stress. I have High levels of anxiety, hard time sleeping and often very irritable. I need to get out but I think I need the approval of money nerd Internet strangers to tell me to do it.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
Re: Should I leave my job?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 12:59:04 PM »
I actually just realized I posted about this in June- see https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/external-validation/msg2850239/#msg2850239

I wish I would have taken the advice then. I have wasted 8 more months of my life living this way. I am going to turn in my notice Monday!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 01:46:56 PM »
Oh yes by all means leave. Call it a career break if you don't quite feel ready to fire. With your experience it will be easy to find another job when the time is right.

You.might be interested in this:
https://nursesagainstviolence.org/million-nurse-march

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 02:11:50 PM »
Quit now.  You have a skill that will be just as in demand in the future if you decide you want to work again.  One of my friends took very short term locus tenens positions, just 2 weeks at a time, so that is another possibility down the road.  They always paid for housing too.  Perhaps your wife would like to work part time if you are home to care for your child.  You have many options, but quitting your present job certainly seems to be the number one priority.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 03:12:32 PM »
It definitely sounds like you need a break. Your mental health may depend on it!

feelingroovy

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 03:55:25 PM »
Oh, please leave. It's really not worth your mental health to stay.

You have FU money! That means options! You are so young and could pursue a whole other career if you want, with no concerns about what it pays.

Just take a year or two off and see how it goes. The demand for nurses is not going away. You don't even have to go back to the same kind of nursing. There are a lot of jobs that require an RN that don't involve direct patient care.

And thank you for your service.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 09:24:08 AM »
Thank you for your service.

+1 that in this job market that you should find another job asap. While you didn't share a case summary, your numbers suggest that you could quit and find a new job without a meaningful impact on your quality of life.

Take care of yourself first if you're to take care of others.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 09:31:21 AM »
Another vote for quit now.  Take a year off to recover and enjoy your family.  Then decide what to do next.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 09:45:29 AM »
I actually just realized I posted about this in June- see https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/external-validation/msg2850239/#msg2850239

I wish I would have taken the advice then. I have wasted 8 more months of my life living this way. I am going to turn in my notice Monday!
Spend some time re-reading that thread. There is a lot of good advice there. Shame you didn't pay enough attention to their wise responses the first time. Please don't make that mistake twice. Be strong on Monday and Just Do It. Your life could well and truly depend on it.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 10:22:02 AM »
This podcast has a useful exercise to get you on the path to resolving your own internal conflict about this decision: https://tim.blog/2016/09/18/how-to-resolve-internal-conflict/.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 10:50:40 AM »

Spend some time re-reading that thread. There is a lot of good advice there. Shame you didn't pay enough attention to their wise responses the first time. Please don't make that mistake twice. Be strong on Monday and Just Do It. Your life could well and truly depend on it.

Thanks for this. I felt confident in my decision yesterday, but today I woke up having second thoughts. Seeing this post re-affirmed I needed to do it. Thanks again, I just wrote up my notice and will hand it in tomorrow.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 11:36:12 AM »
@Murse, please keep in mind that nothing has to be permanent. What is urgent and a “hair on fire” emergency is your mental health and well-being. With the stash you have you can confidently quit work for one year, two years or more and easily go back to work down the line if you decide it’s necessary. Should you still struggle to actually give notice to quit, one other option is to give notice and (if they try to retain you) be willing to agree to a one-year sabbatical, which would allow you more time to feel comfortable about FIREing longer term.

Your health and your family must be your #1 priority.

A question that has often helped me in decision-making is “What’s the worst that could happen?” In your scenario it might play out like this:

Q: What’s the worst that could happen if I quit?
A: The markets tank long term and we can no longer pull enough money out to live on while protecting our financial future.

Q: So, based on the above, what would I do?
A: I’d find another nursing job (always in demand) or some other job to supplement our expenses.

This line of thinking makes it a no-brainer decision to me. You can also take it from the angle of “What’s the worst that can happen if I don’t quit?” I believe you’ll see that scenario has a far worse potential outcome.

Best wishes!

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2022, 12:33:51 PM »
Good luck tomorrow!  I'd love to hear more about how things go after you quit.  This is a fantasy for many of us.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2022, 12:58:01 PM »
Perhaps find a part time job you like and then leave the other job?   Or give notice, leave, take a vacation for however long and return to something you like part time perhaps.. or maybe full time if you want.    Maybe you just really need a good vacation :)  (EDIT: Sorry I replied before reading the entire thread.. Reading it now.)

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2022, 07:10:42 PM »
There is another angle to this. Yes, you need to stop work, have some free time and reassess in a year.
But more importantly, you have a professional responsibility to acknowledge your own distress and act responsibly.
The risk of drug errors, impaired decision making, or patient harm are increased when you are anxious and exhausted. Dont stay in this situation.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 09:33:16 AM »
Emailed my boss this AM. He is not happy that I am leaving but is being professional. Glad I am taking the leap.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 11:56:09 AM »
Emailed my boss this AM. He is not happy that I am leaving but is being professional. Glad I am taking the leap.
Badass!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 12:46:32 PM »
Awesome!  Enjoy your break from that nightmare :)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 12:57:15 PM »
Hooray!

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 01:51:15 PM »
Very cool.  Congratulations!

feelingroovy

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 04:25:01 PM »
Woo hoo! Congratulations! I was hoping for this update.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2022, 04:35:41 PM »

That's wonderful news!

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2022, 11:13:21 PM »
Congrats on putting you first!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!