Author Topic: Should I get LASIK?  (Read 39335 times)

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
Re: Should I get LASIK?
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »
I'm scheduled for Lasik a week from today. After hearing a couple friends rave about it I looked into it and decided to take the plunge. I don't hate wearing contacts at all, but my reasons for getting it are 1) early morning exercise (won't have to fumble with my contacts in the dark while my SO sleeps), 2) minimalism, especially during travel (no cases, solution, or glasses to remember and carry around), and 3) my contacts and the solution I use are expensive so the cost of Lasik will be offset somewhat over time, plus I'll be using some tax-free HSA cash to fund the procedure.

However, I've had to wear glasses for the couple weeks leading up to this and it's really been a pain because I wore contacts 98% of my waking hours and these glasses are a very poor substitute (not quite the right prescription, loads of glare, no peripheral vision, fall off during sports, etc...). I'm now thinking that the most important thing for my eyes is that I avoid wearing glasses for as long as possible as I age and that Lasik might be a step in the wrong direction in that regard. So now I'm not sure what to do...I realize it's a personal decision but any thoughts on this concern?

Lasik will not make you more or less likely to need reading glasses when you hit middle age. Until then, you get to be free of both glasses and contacts. Why would that be a step in the wrong direction?

For what it's worth, my experience with getting Lasik at 21 (9 months ago now) has been very positive. Some issues with dryness, easily fixed with drops. And my vision is fantastic.

I'm 32 so about a decade away from middle age. I guess my concern is that Lasik would make me less able to use contacts when my vision does deteriorate. Perhaps irrational and I'm just a little nervous about the whole thing having read some cautionary tales in this thread.

It's fine to be nervous, obviously. Can you call your doctor, the one you're scheduled with, and ask them any questions you have? I was never told that I would be less able to use contacts if I needed them, but I don't expect to need them. Anyway, as I understand it, the deterioration that usually happens in your 40s/50s is in your close-range vision, hence reading glasses. You wouldn't want to wear contacts for that, unless you planned on never looking up from your book!

Good advice. I'll give them a ring Monday but I suspect you're right about that. Thanks.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2022, 02:40:28 PM »
Necroposting!

I recently made the perhaps less-than-ultra-Mustachian decision to get LASIK. I have been a contact lens wearer for >15 years and had no major gripes about it, but had a pretty rotten experience with my contact lenses earlier this month. I'm a dailies lens wearer and was told that the lens brand I wore was discontinuing their line of lenses I had come to settle on enjoying the most. I got what I think was one of their last production lots, thankfully, and thought "I will deal with deciding on a different brand/lens later!"

Unfortunately I think I received a pretty rotten batch. I had a lens tear in my eye as I was putting it in and got the majority of it out, but wasn't sure whether the other piece(s) were torn before it got to my eye or not. My eye was pretty irritated by digging out the big piece and I couldn't really tell if it was just me or if there really was a piece remaining in my eye. Fast forward a couple of days and I'm literally having anxiety attacks because I'm pretty sure there's a tiny piece way in the corner of my eye that there's no way I can get out myself. For background- I have some typically-well-controlled anxiety, but eye stuff messes me up.

I end up going to the optometrist but they're not in, so the receptionist shines a light all over my eye and says "I don't see anything but come back if it's still bothering you in a day or two." Two days later, I go back in and am paranoid this lens piece is going to do damage to my eye if I don't get it taken care of. My optometrist is a caffeine-riddled overjovial dude who isn't necessarily the go-to guy when you're experiencing severe anxiety. He cracks a few jokes about removing my eyeball and brings in sharp metal tools, then proceeds to just wipe the edge of my eyeball with his finger and gets the thing out (no pain). I had a mild eye infection and got some drops. No biggie, except for the days of discomfort and anxiety I had.

Fast forward another couple days and ANOTHER lens from the same batch tears in the same eye. Luckily I get all of it out but I am like "EFF THIS" and proceed to book ALL THE LASIK CONSULTS.

My first consult did NOT go well. I drove 45 minutes to the provider my optometrist recommended and was there for 2 hours, including being dilated, before the ophthalmologist looked at my chart (didn't even look at it before discussing LASIK vs. PRK and examining my eyeballs!) and decided I was an iffy candidate due to a preexisting chronic condition.

I did some PubMed research on people who had gotten LASIK with MS and decided I was still interested, and that many ophthalmologists would likely be willing to do the procedure. I had a -7.00 prescription in each eye and was now firmly in the "this is worth it and will vastly improve my quality of life" mindset. I went to a second consult and booked a third consult, just in case.

Second consult was basically a LASIK megafactory. I won't say which one but it's a national LASIK provider. They partnered with my vision insurance to offer a $1100 discount. I was a little nervous because they seemed like a LASIK assembly line and offered a $100 discount if I got the LASIK done within the month. All in all, the LASIK would end up costing $3560 for both eyes, including eyedrops for afterward. LASIK Factory didn't have any problem with my having MS. I didn't even see a real opthalmologist, just a receptionist and an optometrist who was remote-viewed into the exam room. It was pretty wild. The optometrist and I spoke for a while and she assured me that my MS did not in any way make me a high-risk candidate. I wouldn't meet the surgeon until the procedure, which was scary. After my appointment, the receptionist was like "Hey, we have an opening tomorrow. Want to do it?" At this point I made the most impulsive decision I have ever made regarding my health and booked the procedure, calling a friend to drive me home.

Day-of LASIK I was pretty distracted at work and got pretty nervous about my choice to have LASIK at a factory where I couldn't even find reviews of the surgeon who was going to do the procedure. Google reviews indicated positive feedback, with negative feedback being all about wait times and lines like 'I had to sit in the waiting room for TWO HOURS before the procedure!' In my head, this was a major deal and I wanted the clinic to take their time, so that didn't bug me. I did end up waiting for 2 hours before being called back, then I met the doctor who would do the deed and cut my eyeballs with a laser. He was very nice and I confirmed that he, too, did not see any major risk for me (although he did want me to realize that I was at *slightly* higher risk of a lesser outcome visually speaking, which I was fine with).

I popped the Valium I had been prescribed and waited another 15 minutes in a pre-op room. [Side note: the Valium did absolutely nothing as far as I can tell.] Then I was called in, laid down on a table, and got a weighted blanket put on me. They numbed my eyes and started.

There are plenty of reviews of what happens during LASIK, so I won't include the specifics here, but my experience was about 50% more stressful, uncomfortable, and scary than I was expecting. Getting my eyes held open by reverse-eyelash-curlers, having equipment mounted onto my eye, and the physical manipulation of my cornea was definitely no fun. If you get LASIK, prepare to be extremely vulnerable for about 10 minutes. I would say I felt about as vulnerable during LASIK as I did during my unmedicated childbirth, but was even more present in my body for LASIK. Luckily, the two assistants and the doc were really really great. Ironically, the one assistant was kind of like a LASIK doula- she held my hand and stroked my arm, reminding me to focus on breathing in and breathing out rhythmically while the doc and other assistant counted down during the laser cutting.

The bed rotates over to the other side of the LASIK machine and I am told to look into a ring of green light. Ring of green light? It's all blurry! What if I'm not looking at the right part? Oh well, I try my best. Another laser comes and cuts, and I smell burning cornea. Blech. I'm so nervous that my brain goes into primal animal mode and I zone out, forgetting the direction to look at a certain spot. Doc reminds me to STAY INSIDE MY BODY and not go into panicky-zone-out-mode (OK, he just asked me to remain focused on the light). He flips the flap back onto my eye and rubs a cotton thing over it. I take deep breaths and the entire process is repeated on the other eye.

I leave the room literally shaking but can kind of sort of see, though my vision is quite cloudy. I keep my eyes half closed as I walk through the hallway because I am worried about the flippy flaps on the front of my eyes. They take a quick look and say I'm good to go, have a wonderful life! My good friend drives me home and does not comment on the tremor I seem to have developed. I go straight to bed, thankful my husband has our 4yo taken care of for the night.

The next day, I wake up and I can SEE. I am a FUCKING HAWK. In reality, I have a bit of fogginess in both eyes, but my perception is that the procedure went EXTREMELY well. I spend the next few days commenting on all that I can see without glasses. In the evenings I feel like I can't sleep because I haven't taken out my contacts, a nightly ritual I have practiced for 15 years. Not dissimilar to the feeling you get at night if you haven't brushed your teeth.

I'm only four days out from LASIK. Upon reflection, it was a great choice, though I probably could have shopped around a lot more and been less impulsive about it. I don't know that I would have ended up with a different provider (cancelled that 3rd consult), but it was probably about the cheapest price I would have gotten around the area given they partnered with my vision insurance. I also may have backed out if I didn't do it when I did, after that horrible contact lens fiasco. I would say it was definitely worth it but would advise anyone with moderate to severe anxiety to prepare yourself and give yourself a day afterward to recover. Because I had gotten so worked up over it and my body was so tense, I felt like I'd been hit by a car the day afterward.

Anyway, there's my experience. I had never seriously considered LASIK because it is clearly not the most optimal vision correction choice from a financial standpoint. In fact, I had 'decided' in my late 20s that I wouldn't ever get it because it seemed frivolous and maybe even like a luxury I didn't deserve. However, I'm already LOVING that I've removed all contact lenses from my future and can enjoy years and years of corrected vision. Even though the procedure was really stressful for me, I wish I had considered it earlier and recommend it to anyone who is seriously considering it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2022, 03:13:43 PM »
I popped the Valium I had been prescribed and waited another 15 minutes in a pre-op room. [Side note: the Valium did absolutely nothing as far as I can tell.] Then I was called in, laid down on a table, and got a weighted blanket put on me. They numbed my eyes and started.

The next day, I wake up and I can SEE. I am a FUCKING HAWK. In reality, I have a bit of fogginess in both eyes, but my perception is that the procedure went EXTREMELY well. I spend the next few days commenting on all that I can see without glasses. In the evenings I feel like I can't sleep because I haven't taken out my contacts, a nightly ritual I have practiced for 15 years. Not dissimilar to the feeling you get at night if you haven't brushed your teeth.
I've had valium on two occasions, one of which was when I got LASIK.  I had the same apparent lack of reaction.  I didn't feel more relaxed or anything, just my normal self (and I'm typically pretty chill).

And your reaction the next day is exactly the same as mine, 20 years ago.  Such an amazing thing!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2022, 03:24:53 PM »

I've had valium on two occasions, one of which was when I got LASIK.  I had the same apparent lack of reaction.  I didn't feel more relaxed or anything, just my normal self (and I'm typically pretty chill).

And your reaction the next day is exactly the same as mine, 20 years ago.  Such an amazing thing!
The first thing I saw the day after my LASIK was an enormous hunstman on the ceiling and my first reaction was "Woah that's a huge spider!" immediately followed by "I can SEEEEE!" It's a marvelous feeling.

I'm one of the people the Valium did work for but my LASIK provider also got you to wait 30-40 minutes to make sure it had kicked in. It just put a big wall of not-caring in between me and what was happening.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2022, 04:50:23 AM »
I had LASIK back in 2011 when I'd scored the first job that left me with significant surplus cash (ie about £600 after all expenses) at the end of the month, and it was the best thing ever. I had slight astigmatism in both eyes and it's now fixed in one and a slight bit remains, plus a -3.75 or -4.25 (can't quite remember which) which corrected into 20/20 vision. I was short-sighted, and enjoyed quite a few years of perfect far and near vision, but now in my late 40s, small print is a problem and I have reading glasses for those.

I remember the procedure pretty well and am glad I didn't look at the YouTube videos about what it actually entails. Also, in the UK you don't get sedatives/tranquilisers like Valium. They expect you to tough it out. But I remember somebody taking my glasses with a cheerful: "Say goodbye to them forever!" and part of me was mildly affronted to have them taken away (after 25 years with glasses, so much of your awareness was about "where are my glasses", and "OMG I'm blind without them") and a level of "yeah, right". I religiously followed the aftercare instructions and my results were so good they asked me to write a testimonial for them (I didn't get around to it). Also went with a large regional chain that runs several clinics that do nothing else - sure it's a bit assembly line, but they also have tons of experience and people doing nothing else all day and therefore maybe better equipped to deal with complications. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I'm so glad for you you made the leap and wish you many many years of 20/20 sight. Unlike many other ways to spend money, the results of this one never really get old. :)

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2022, 05:52:09 AM »
I had PRK a few weeks back, and have been pretty pleased with the results as well. Daily contacts were a hassle, but they also generated what I considered to be a lot of waste so I'm glad to be rid of them for at least a few years.