Author Topic: Should I get LASIK?  (Read 32469 times)

Polak_maly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Should I get LASIK?
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2014, 01:56:14 PM »
Here is my take on it-- find 2-3 respectable clinics that perform these surgeries. Schedule initial consulting appointments. Ask doctors about data/statistics of complications, expected results, pre-op, post-op, what-ifs, machine model they use (yup, I'm that insane) etc. They are not going to lie to you, at least the ones who are ethical, hence pick multiple clinics to get a feel for them. AND THEN MAKE DECISION. Online forums are filled with negative reviews because people naturally tend to complain more in my opinion....

I'm located in Boston and I had my surgery done last year for ~$4k with UnitedHealth covering half. The clinic I chose had lifetime warranty (I hope they will still be in business IF I will need correction in years to come but I think this is highly unlikely). I had astigmatism, about -2.25 prescription.

Getting LASIK was best decision I ever made. First thing I did few months after surgery.....a surfing camp trip. No worries about contacts or glasses.

My only tip-- based on my limited science understanding--is to choose a clinic which uses laser to cut the flap. This I believe (but I might be wrong?) cuts significantly on complications.

birdman2003

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
I had PRK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photorefractive_keratectomy) done in 2012 when I was 27.  My prescription was -4.0 in one eye and -4.5 in the other, with a slight bit of astigmatism.

I found the best professional in my state (http://www.dmeyemd.com/) and consulted with him.  After some measurements and other tests, he said I was an excellent candidate but warned me about the 0.01% that have trouble or need a redo.

I paid $4.4k out my HSA and another $120 or so for Rx and eye lubricating drops.

The surgery was the best thing I've ever done.  First few days I couldn't drive and my eyes had pain, but I was back at work on Monday and could see 20/20 after 1 week.  Within 1 month I was seeing 20/15 and within 2 months my vision had improved to 20/10.  A year later my vision was still 20/10.

It's so great waking up for the last two years and not fumbling around for eyeglasses or trying to clean your fingers to change a contact lens while camping.

Totally worth it.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »
I'm scheduled for Lasik a week from today. After hearing a couple friends rave about it I looked into it and decided to take the plunge. I don't hate wearing contacts at all, but my reasons for getting it are 1) early morning exercise (won't have to fumble with my contacts in the dark while my SO sleeps), 2) minimalism, especially during travel (no cases, solution, or glasses to remember and carry around), and 3) my contacts and the solution I use are expensive so the cost of Lasik will be offset somewhat over time, plus I'll be using some tax-free HSA cash to fund the procedure.

However, I've had to wear glasses for the couple weeks leading up to this and it's really been a pain because I wore contacts 98% of my waking hours and these glasses are a very poor substitute (not quite the right prescription, loads of glare, no peripheral vision, fall off during sports, etc...). I'm now thinking that the most important thing for my eyes is that I avoid wearing glasses for as long as possible as I age and that Lasik might be a step in the wrong direction in that regard. So now I'm not sure what to do...I realize it's a personal decision but any thoughts on this concern?

Lasik will not make you more or less likely to need reading glasses when you hit middle age. Until then, you get to be free of both glasses and contacts. Why would that be a step in the wrong direction?

For what it's worth, my experience with getting Lasik at 21 (9 months ago now) has been very positive. Some issues with dryness, easily fixed with drops. And my vision is fantastic.

I'm 32 so about a decade away from middle age. I guess my concern is that Lasik would make me less able to use contacts when my vision does deteriorate. Perhaps irrational and I'm just a little nervous about the whole thing having read some cautionary tales in this thread.

It's fine to be nervous, obviously. Can you call your doctor, the one you're scheduled with, and ask them any questions you have? I was never told that I would be less able to use contacts if I needed them, but I don't expect to need them. Anyway, as I understand it, the deterioration that usually happens in your 40s/50s is in your close-range vision, hence reading glasses. You wouldn't want to wear contacts for that, unless you planned on never looking up from your book!

Good advice. I'll give them a ring Monday but I suspect you're right about that. Thanks.