Author Topic: Should I get a job?  (Read 2827 times)

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
Should I get a job?
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:03:04 AM »
I've been a SAHM for a while. Youngest child starts kindergarten in 1.5 years. We currently save over 50% of DH'S income, and are probably 3/4 of the way to FI.

We live frugally, no payments, low bills. We are comfortable.

But, I've got this professional degree and license that I only really used for 5 years before I had kids. I keep myself plenty busy with hobbies right now, but I'm wondering if I should try to go back to work when all the kids are in full day school, just to pad the stash and get a few more years of professional satisfaction in.

DH works from home so would be here when the bus drops off. Kids would be doing homework & playing quietly until he's off the clock.

I'm a creative person so I know I can keep myself entertained without a career, although I almost feel lazy for not ever going back to work. Have never been interested in the stress of two working parents though.

Thoughts?

brute

• Pencil Stache
Re: Should I get a job?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 08:08:07 AM »
The good news is that you can afford to be picky about your job. I don't see a reason to not find a job that seems decent, then leave if you don't enjoy it.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 08:10:45 AM »
This is my dream scenario, so I've already got a plan just in case it ever comes to fruition: I will work in a school. Maybe my kid's school, maybe another local district. But I would work the cushy school schedule and bring in some extra cash.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 08:13:28 AM »
I've had a life-long dream of designing and building our own house- but could never afford that luxury with current stash goal. I'm kind of thinking if I go work for 5 more years (in 1.5 years), then that money could be earmarked for that dream. Right now I'm finding peace with our normal suburban house/ life.

I also am giving myself 1.5 more years to get stuff done around the house that I wouldn't have time for if I'm working 32-40 hours per week.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 08:19:19 AM »
I think the question would be why wouldn't you get a job?  If you don't want the stress of two working parents, then that would be your answer.  How does your husband feel about being the sole income earner in perpetuity?  Working part time would be an obvious idea, or getting babysitter for after school.  I don't know how old your other kids are, but kindergartners don't generally do homework or play quietly at an adult's convenience.   

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 08:54:23 AM »
Kids would be 13, 8, 5
I think I would have to find something flexible, maybe 7am- 3pm. Bus drop off for little ones is 2:45, and for middle school is 3:50.

DH doesn't mind being sole provider, but would be willing to see how it goes with me working. I have done contract work at various times (10 hours a week or so) while having the kids home, but not in the past two years.

If I did this I would have strict rules: frugal on the work wardrobe, no eating out or convenience foods (maybe would require simpler meals and weekend prep work), no extra work expenses. Entire pay would go towards 401k max, taxes, savings. I don't want lifestyle inflation.

Of course summer would be another issue.....

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 10:00:50 AM »
I've had a life-long dream of designing and building our own house- but could never afford that luxury with current stash goal. I'm kind of thinking if I go work for 5 more years (in 1.5 years), then that money could be earmarked for that dream. Right now I'm finding peace with our normal suburban house/ life.

I also am giving myself 1.5 more years to get stuff done around the house that I wouldn't have time for if I'm working 32-40 hours per week.

If it's truly your life-long dream, and something that you could achieve working a few years in a job you enjoy, then it's probably something you should do.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »
This is where I get bogged down: is the lifelong dream worth adding the stress of a job? Will I regret it one way or the other? My life is pretty darn sweet right now, very low stress. Our needs are few, so we actually feel pretty comfortable and have a good cushion on just the one income. (Almost seems too easy, am I just lazy?)

But, when I worked, I was really good at my job and I loved the challenge.  This was also pre-kids so if I had to work late for deadlines it was no big deal.

I suppose I'm manufacturing drama since I have the flexibility to try it and see if I like it, no big deal - quit if it doesn't work out. Or I can keep going if I enjoy the money/career ego boost.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »
why don't you do contracting any more?

From a tax perspective, 1099 income is  probably the optimal as you can write a mess of expenses off against it. (ie, internet, home office, cell phone at least part of those expenses,  new computer for you makes it easy to pass them down to the kids as they need them)   

It can also be ramped up and down around things like summer.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 09:10:49 AM »
I quit contracting when the firm I did work for wanted me to start coming into the office and less work from home. At the time I didn't want to do that since my youngest was still home, but that would actually be fine when they are all in full day school.
I could definitely go that route again, but with office time if needed, more hours, flexible hours (for both of us - no work, no problem). Could nicely fill my solo 401k!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!