Author Topic: Should I fight a speeding ticket?  (Read 22301 times)

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
Re: Should I fight a speeding ticket?
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »
When I was pulled, the police officer asked me a funny question "Why didn't you slow down when you saw me?"  Seemed like a strange question to ask me (and I didn't get into a debate because my 5 year old was in the car) and I stumbled on that.  My response was just to say,  "I guess I must have been speeding, sir, so I'll take that ticket." 

Cops ask you questions like that to try to get you to admit guilt, which it seems you admitted as a possibility. I'd still fight it though; seems you have a good case.

If a cop asks you if you know why he or she pulled you over, I think it's best to say you don't know. Unless you obviously did something stupid, because then it may just piss them off.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2014, 07:31:30 PM »
The speed limit on a given area of road is whatever the last posted limit was.  If the next sign changes the limit, it's only for the road after the sign, not before.  I would fight it based on this alone.  A letter to the "prosecutor" explaining the circumstances might get it dismissed ahead of time, and save everyone time and money.

surfhb

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2014, 08:17:23 PM »
Who cares if you were right or wrong.    Fight the ticket and it will most likely go in your favor......Im 2 for 2 since I started fighting my tickets

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2014, 08:20:45 PM »
Bit of a speeding ticket vet here. I have had 17+ in my times.

Just play the game.
I would just do defensive driving.

It goes like this,

1. defensive driving
2. if did dd within past 6 mo - year, request deferred disposition or deferred adjudication.
3. if already on 2. lawyer up.

I have been through 1-3, several times, and my record has never seen a ticket.

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2014, 05:31:18 AM »
When I was pulled, the police officer asked me a funny question "Why didn't you slow down when you saw me?"  Seemed like a strange question to ask me (and I didn't get into a debate because my 5 year old was in the car) and I stumbled on that.  My response was just to say,  "I guess I must have been speeding, sir, so I'll take that ticket." 

Cops ask you questions like that to try to get you to admit guilt, which it seems you admitted as a possibility. I'd still fight it though; seems you have a good case.

If a cop asks you if you know why he or she pulled you over, I think it's best to say you don't know. Unless you obviously did something stupid, because then it may just piss them off.

Yup, the old "Do you know how fast you were going?" game.

Now, let's say you were doing 75 in a 55.  You know you're speeding and you get pulled over. 

Officer asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?"

You think admitting to knowing you were doing 20 over might be a bit dumb, so you play a little bit of a bargaining game.  You say 65.  Well, regardless of what he actually clocked you at, you've just admitted to breaking the law.  So, now he can much more safely tell you that you were doing 75, but he's going to let you off on just a ticket for 10mph over.  This way if you contest the ticket, he only has to show up to court and tell the judge you admitted to it.

Sometimes the best thing to do when pulled over is to preempt any questions with your own.  As an officer approaches your car, put the window down halfway, turn the interior dome lights on if it is dark out, and put your hands on the wheel, then just ask "Is there a problem officer?". 

Anyway, good luck on contesting it, let us know how it goes.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2014, 11:52:19 AM »

Yup, the old "Do you know how fast you were going?" game.

Now, let's say you were doing 75 in a 55.  You know you're speeding and you get pulled over. 

Officer asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?"

You think admitting to knowing you were doing 20 over might be a bit dumb, so you play a little bit of a bargaining game.  You say 65.  Well, regardless of what he actually clocked you at, you've just admitted to breaking the law.  So, now he can much more safely tell you that you were doing 75, but he's going to let you off on just a ticket for 10mph over.  This way if you contest the ticket, he only has to show up to court and tell the judge you admitted to it.

Sometimes the best thing to do when pulled over is to preempt any questions with your own.  As an officer approaches your car, put the window down halfway, turn the interior dome lights on if it is dark out, and put your hands on the wheel, then just ask "Is there a problem officer?". 

Anyway, good luck on contesting it, let us know how it goes.

If an officer asks how fast I was going, the answer is something along the lines of "I don't know exactly, but it was a safe and reasonable speed" (obviously I never drive so fast as to scare myself)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2014, 03:19:00 AM »
1. defensive driving
2. if did dd within past 6 mo - year, request deferred disposition or deferred adjudication.
3. if already on 2. lawyer up.
You've done seventeen defensive driving courses and you still haven't figured out how to drive in a way that doesn't qualify you as a danger to society?