Author Topic: Should I eat this crab?  (Read 9572 times)

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
Should I eat this crab?
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »
This might be ridiculous to even consider but...

I have a bunch of shelled crab that's been stored in an airtight Pyrex at the back of my fridge for almost 2 months. My fridge likes to freeze things, although I don't think this did (not on a shelf that typically freezes.) I meant to make crab cakes out of it and then freeze those for meals later this year, but having a newborn distracted me and I forgot all about it. Today I decided to brave throwing it away, but when I looked at it I had to admit it looked pretty normal. So I sucked it up and smelled it, and it smells totally normal! Am I insane for thinking I might still eat it? It will be thoroughly cooked. It pains me to throw away two pounds of crab meat, the last catch of the season.

So...death wish? Or eat and enjoy?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:28:43 PM by Credaholic »

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Should I eat this crab?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »
How long has it been in there?

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:30:04 PM »
How long has it been in there?

Edited to add the most important fact! It's been almost two months.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 04:35:24 PM »
I would eat it. It passes the eye and nose test, and it will be cooked. If you have any doubts, give a little to the dog and watch how she handles it!

El Marinero

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »
Two month old shellfish? I love crab, but I wouldn't eat it.  The potential downside is bad enough to put me off.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 04:51:54 PM »
No, you should not.  Seriously, when things go bad, they smell something like crab.  Don't trust it.  What could be worse than a bout of awful food poisoning brought on by tainted crab?  Dealing with a bout of awful food poisoning brought on by tainted crab while trying to care for a newborn.  That's about as bad as you can get in a first world country.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:53:29 PM »
I will eat just about anything that seems "iffy", but crab ain't one of those things. 
Toss it. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 04:57:27 PM »
Eh . . . you have a newborn.  Are you the (breastfeeding) mom or the dad?  This changes my advice.

iamadummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »
anything so save a buck

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 05:12:19 PM »
Eh . . . you have a newborn.  Are you the (breastfeeding) mom or the dad?  This changes my advice.

I am breastfeeding. I've always read that it's okay to breastfeed with food poisoning because it doesn't cross into the milk, although if you're pointing out it won't be much fun nursing and caring for a newborn while I have food poisoning, I'm with you.

How about I cook them and eat just a teeny tiny bite and see if I die?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 05:20:55 PM »
you have a newborn.

toss it

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 06:10:54 PM »

A bite or two won't kill you.  Probably.  I think it's worth it, simply because a waste of so much crab would make me cry.

RNwastash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 06:44:25 PM »
No!! Don't eat it.  Saving money is not worth your health.  Since you forgot about it for 2 months, it's better to forget about it for good.  My husband and I had the flu while taking care of two babies and it was HELL.

surfhb

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 06:54:11 PM »
Oh Gawd!   It's an 2 month old lump of crab!   

Don't risk a sickness to save money- very anti MMM

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »
Are all of you "no f'n way" people the same ones that already throw leftovers out after only 3 days?  I can't be bothered to cross reference all of you, but there has to be some overlap here.  :)

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/what%27s-your-threshold-for-eating-leftovers/

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 07:16:32 PM »

I am breastfeeding. I've always read that it's okay to breastfeed with food poisoning because it doesn't cross into the milk, although if you're pointing out it won't be much fun nursing and caring for a newborn while I have food poisoning, I'm with you.

Yeah, I'd say no . . . not for risk of contamination via breastmilk . . . but puking your guts out with a high fever while trying to breastfeed a newborn has to be close to a 9th level of hell style torment.  Cook it and give it to your husband though.  :P

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
Can you get your spouse/ roommate to try it?

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 07:45:01 PM »
There was an article on the difference between cheap and frugal. I think this is an instance of the first.

Especially if you give it to someone else.

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »
Can you get your spouse/ roommate to try it?

Hilarious!

My 2 cents: Toss that disgusting pile of (former) crab meat. It's shellfish, brah!

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 09:35:35 PM »
Give it to the kid first.  If he lives, then its okay... if not, then maybe it wasn't such a good idea not to throw it out.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 07:53:31 AM »
Shellfish is different than just normal leftovers... 2 months is insane. Definitely throw it out.

RetireAbroadAt35

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 08:03:10 AM »
The OP must be trolling us. 

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »
The OP must be trolling us.

Not at all! If it were anything else it would have already gone in the trash, but it's not the easiest thing to throw away two pounds of crab meat that looks and smells perfectly normal. At least not when you're a seafood lover like me, not to mention I spent half an hour one afternoon picking all that crab out of the shells! Breaks my heart, but seems the majority agree I need to throw it out. If any of the few brave souls are in Seattle, I'll make you some delicious crab cakes to come try ;)

TrMama

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 03:44:03 PM »
I seriously question your devotion to this crab since you let it sit in the fridge for two months.

My issue with food poisoning + breastfeeding is that the combination will make you seriously dehydrated. Dehydration sucks. Breastfeeding while dehydrated leads to all kinds of other fun problems. Don't ask, you really don't want to know.

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 05:05:56 PM »
I seriously question your devotion to this crab since you let it sit in the fridge for two months.

My issue with food poisoning + breastfeeding is that the combination will make you seriously dehydrated. Dehydration sucks. Breastfeeding while dehydrated leads to all kinds of other fun problems. Don't ask, you really don't want to know.

Technically, I forgot it for 3 weeks (the first 3 weeks of my daughter's life, so while I'd normally be punching myself in the face for that, I'm giving myself a pass this one time.) After that I remembered but was afraid of it. Finally mustered the courage to throw away and wash out my glass Pyrex, and discovered the crab hadn't turned scary after all. I'm now seriously annoyed that I didn't just make the crab cakes when I remembered at 3 weeks old. I wouldn't have even hesitated then after finding it in still good condition then! Maybe my stomach is more iron clad than some.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!