Author Topic: Should I dump this insurance company?  (Read 2989 times)

forward

• Stubble
Should I dump this insurance company?
« on: December 06, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »

In the spirit of reducing my monthly expenses I contacted my insurance agent about making adjustments to my policies - mainly increasing my deductable.
He is an agent in a group setting and they have many companies they can give quotes from.

I contacted him on Nov 13th and said my car policy renews on Dec 20th, I would like you to give me a quote with the higher deductable.  Also my house renews in february so check that too (he has both policies).  That should be fairly simple I think?  Maybe not?

He said I'll check and get back to you.  After hearing nothing I checked in with him on Dec. 3rd and said "any news?"  He said oh i'm waiting for an underwriter and I'll get back to you tomorrow (so that would be 4th).  Business closed today and I have heard nothing again.  It will be the 7th tomorrow - and so far no information at all.

I have been with this group for 6 years and never had a claim.

I got a quote from Geico in 15 minutes for the car.

Should I just send him a letter that I am cancelling or am I being too harsh?  It seems like a big reason to stay with a local agent is for service and I don't think I'm getting that?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Should I dump this insurance company?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 06:30:51 PM »
I'd cancel.  I like to think of myself as a rather forgiving person but when your only job is to be an intermediary between two parties, I expect your communication skills and responsiveness to be above average.

Take two hours this weekend and do the shopping yourself by calling the companies yourself. Insource 'erythin!

NWstubble

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
I second the dumping. I shopped my insurance around recently and got quotes from a couple of brokers as well to see if they could find something I couldn't. Turns out they were not able to. Also turns out the company I was using (which gave me great service), had slowly bumped my rates up and were unable to meet or beat a competing quote I received from an equally well reviewed company. So I sent them a pack in'.

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:46:25 PM »
Thank you, that's very helpful.  Im going to cancel and save some money! More employees for me.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 11:27:46 PM »
I couldn't imagine having to call and talk to individuals to get insurance short of some incredibly specific policy. It sounds incredibly inefficient. Kind of like getting a travel agent for your tickets instead of checking 50 different flights on some flight comparison site. I'd ditch him and go shopping for insurance online.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!