Author Topic: Should I Change Jobs  (Read 1373 times)

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
Should I Change Jobs
« on: September 09, 2019, 04:54:57 PM »
A little bit about me. I am a 30+ year old with a fairly new family and one toddler. I am an engineer.

Pay- Current Job 75K a year with bonus New Opportunity 76.5K no bonus available **would net $4000 with new opportunity value includes insurance difference
Benefits- About the same (New opportunity 50% cost reduction included in positive net above)
Job Itself- New opportunity seems more exciting - actually work I feel I would like to do. Current job stagnant
Work Life Balance- New opportunity will be more demanding and harder. Seems to require possibly long hours but says are flexible?
Commute- New opportunity is longer distance but away from rush hour traffic so comparable time
Job security- Current job way more secure (never layoffs). New opportunity does experience them
Size- Current Job VERY Small, New opportunity HUGE!!
Advancement- Current job Possible but VERY low level of advancement - New opportunity Promise of advancement for new if I do well
Reviews- New Opportunity online reviews from workers are mostly bad
Additional Benefit- Current job ESOP with opportunity of large growth/ retirement benefit
Bonus: If I leave current job now I give up large ~$5000 year end bonus (which is included in total pay), I also loose some ESOP due to not fully vested approx ~10000 loss

Looking for some opinions to help me make this very hard decision.

How do people decide?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:40:59 PM by KBCB »

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Should I Change Jobs
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 07:19:05 PM »
I don't feel like this is enough information to really give meaningful advice from - it sounds like you are taking a fair significant pay cut ($4k/year as well as about $15k in unvested benefits)?

What is the magnitude we're talking about here? $60k/year? $100k/year? $150k/year?

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 07:36:03 PM »
I don't feel like this is enough information to really give meaningful advice from - it sounds like you are taking a fair significant pay cut ($4k/year as well as about $15k in unvested benefits)?

What is the magnitude we're talking about here? $60k/year? $100k/year? $150k/year?

I think you are right about my lack of information- Both my current job and opportunity are within my areas average pay for my job using different websites for averages
Current job is about 75K a year w/ bonus
New Opportunity is 76.5K a year no bonus available
Difference is mostly due to health insurance cost Current opportunity would net a little over $4000 than what I make now (including pay and insurance costs).

Do you know what other information that might be helpful for me to add?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:55:54 PM by KBCB »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 09:23:35 PM »
The money differences seem pretty small relative to the intangibles . . . if you think the new opportunity will make you happier and provide more opportunity for growth and advancement, then take the leap. Do be aware of "the grass is always greener" syndrome, though.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 02:11:28 AM »
If you feel stagnant in your current job, then I think you should change jobs just to be more inspired again. But indeed, the grass is not always greener elsewhere. Be prepared to want to change jobs again in a few years.

Can you somehow sing it out long enough in your current job to wait for the end of year bonus? That is a potential sum to pick up. I am also sitting out my current job to the end of the year to be able to keep my pension money with is in the same ballpark figure.

Can you negotiating with the new opportunity that you can work from home sometimes, e.g. once a week? And have you tried to negotiate a higher salary and better benefits?

Your longer commute will cost more in fuel. Maybe changing your current car for a used, fuel efficient car would contribute in a positive way?

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 12:30:07 PM »
Re: the negative reviews, are they saying something consistent? If there is a large group of people saying that a recent management change was bad or the hours are long, believe them. While usually only bitter people leave reviews, if they all are telling a similar story, there's probably something there.

To me, this job doesn't seem like enough of an upgrade to be worth the move. It sounds like you're ready for a new opportunity, but I would continue looking for one that doesn't make you question whether it's a good move or not.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »
Have you researched other opportunities? It seems like you are jumping at the first opportunity because you are unhappy in your current job. Maybe that's not the case, but it just seems like that from what I'm reading. The intangibles don't seem worth it to me. Longer hours, longer commutes, potential negative working environment. Also, I'm leary of the "potential for growth". I feel like that is one of two things 1) the employer making promises that they may or may not be able to fulfill or 2)the employee grasping at straws for a reason to change jobs.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 03:19:15 PM »
I take reviews on sites like Glassdoor with a grain of salt.  First, keep in mind people who are happy or OK tend to not care enough to spend time to post this.  The grumblers are the ones who have the desire to vent, and so they post.  I started a new job six months ago at a place that also had a lot of negative reviews and is HUGE like you say your new place is.  What I have found is what I thought I would.  People who want a "dream job" have not figured out that is a fantasy.  Every job has crap that sucks.  Welcome to life.  Instead of letting is make you miserable, realize this is adulthood and move on.  Good coworkers, reasonable expectations and being able to control if you do a good job versus being blamed for things you cannot control are what I tend to look for.   

Regarding how did I make the choice to move, I'm in a different season of life, so not sure how relevant this is to you.  I made my way up the corporate ladder and got to the point where I felt the view was not worth the price.  The stress, the politics and the competition for others who want the top jobs just wore on me.  Not needing as high an income as I had helped a lot.  Took a 40% paycut and am many times happier than I was for the last 15 years.  I've already been talked about in the new (online negative place) in a very positive light and they are asking if I want more responsibility.  I've politely declined and reminded them why I came here.  I do an excellent job and knock it out of the park in a job I can do without much strain and I can go home with no worry and that is priceless.  I'm not hearing those issues in your situation, and you appear to still want to climb the ladder to a higher level, so as I said, not sure how relevant my situation is to yours, but sharing because you asked.  Hope it helps you in some way.

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 07:42:09 PM »
I take reviews on sites like Glassdoor with a grain of salt.  First, keep in mind people who are happy or OK tend to not care enough to spend time to post this.  The grumblers are the ones who have the desire to vent, and so they post.  I started a new job six months ago at a place that also had a lot of negative reviews and is HUGE like you say your new place is.  What I have found is what I thought I would.  People who want a "dream job" have not figured out that is a fantasy.  Every job has crap that sucks.  Welcome to life.  Instead of letting is make you miserable, realize this is adulthood and move on.  Good coworkers, reasonable expectations and being able to control if you do a good job versus being blamed for things you cannot control are what I tend to look for.   

Regarding how did I make the choice to move, I'm in a different season of life, so not sure how relevant this is to you.  I made my way up the corporate ladder and got to the point where I felt the view was not worth the price.  The stress, the politics and the competition for others who want the top jobs just wore on me.  Not needing as high an income as I had helped a lot.  Took a 40% paycut and am many times happier than I was for the last 15 years.  I've already been talked about in the new (online negative place) in a very positive light and they are asking if I want more responsibility.  I've politely declined and reminded them why I came here.  I do an excellent job and knock it out of the park in a job I can do without much strain and I can go home with no worry and that is priceless.  I'm not hearing those issues in your situation, and you appear to still want to climb the ladder to a higher level, so as I said, not sure how relevant my situation is to yours, but sharing because you asked.  Hope it helps you in some way.

Interesting enough although we are at different stages in life this idea is the reason I am going to be turning down the new opportunity. Yes sure I want to advance but I don't hate my job and my work life balance is really good. My current job has the security and balance I really value. Although in my head I want to advance, I think this opportunity has made me realize it's not about the paycheck and moving up, I work to support my family. I do not live to work and my current job satisfies my need. I very much appreciate your comment and am happy you are in a great place!

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 07:44:40 PM »
Thank you all for responding. I appreciate your mustachian insight !!