Author Topic: Should I Buy This Bike?  (Read 4335 times)

mh1361

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Should I Buy This Bike?
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:00:33 PM »
We got the seller down to $70, and he claims it costs $145 new at Walmart although I can't find the exact bike online. Assuming it rides fine, do you think it's worth $70? It'll just be for recreational use, nothing too strenuous. At least that's the current plan. I haven't ridden it or checked it out yet so this might be a moot point.

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/bik/4930301881.html

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
Re: Should I Buy This Bike?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:19:53 PM »
I wouldn't buy a Walmart type bike.

I bought a commuter bike around 2 months ago. I looked at all the ones online 2nd hand, etc but decided to get a new one. I didn't know much about bikes and liked the peace on mind of not buying someone elses problems, that I would be fit to it correctly, I could try out different ones, etc.

Buy a trusted brand like Giant or Trek.

robbyho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »
i wouldn't, but what is the intended use? daily commute? once in a while? I bought a decent old road bike for $140 on CL years ago and it lasted a long time. My nashbar cost me $600 and it will last me forever.  I'd rather spend a little more and get something MUCH better.

TrMama

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 02:11:52 PM »
I wouldn't buy a Huffy at any price. Spend a bit more and get a bike that was assembled properly and will last for more than a year.

otter

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 02:19:40 PM »
No, you shouldn't. This is what is known as a bike-shaped object (BSO) and in a couple of years it will be useless and you will have wished you had spent the money on something better. You can buy a wide variety of early 90s mountain bikes for under $100 - that would be a much, much, much better value.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »
Definitely do your research, even if it's for "recreational" use (but what does this mean? Like occasional trips to the grocery store? Something more?). Go to a bike store and ride some different bikes and see what you like. With bikes you really get what you pay for. And if you can find a good brand (like Giant or Trek that was mentioned above) at a second-hand/used price, it's always a good thing.

Learner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
Also, when looking for a deal on a used bike, don't forget to check the serial number against the stolen bike registry (Google it, it's provided by police).  Ask for a receipt from the seller stating the serial number as well.

stashy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 02:56:25 PM »
this bike is a pc of shit, don't buy it

waffle

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 03:05:19 PM »
Huffy's definitely aren't the best bikes in the world, but I rode them all the time growing up and would regularly bike 10+ miles in a day. They make great kid bikes because they can be abused and broken without being out much money. That being said I wouldn't buy that bike. Especially not for $70. That bike is something that you might pay $5-10 at a police auction for.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »
If buying used, you can usually get a name brand bike for a decent price. I would look further and find a Specialized, Trek, Giant, or some other known brand of some quality. Not that they are excellent quality at the entry levels, but they don't make pure crap either. Better to go back a few more years and get an older bike that shows some wear from a quality company, than get a shiny new looking bike made of crap.

But that bike is both old and crap, not a good combination. It might be worth $25, but I wouldn't pay anything for it.

(I take that back, it would be a good bike for areas with extreme amounts of theft. A bike that you can ride around with no worry about destroying the bike or having it stolen. But that is a specific situation I assume you are not in. But for some having a "throw away" bike is nice.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:17:59 PM by James »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!