Author Topic: Should I buy Square Stocks?  (Read 2371 times)

crazy30

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Should I buy Square Stocks?
« on: November 10, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »
will be open next week so need to know if anyone is waiting like me? bad reviews but hey, who knows right?

kurtnyc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Should I buy Square Stocks?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 05:51:21 PM »
well out of solidarity, as we're the only two recent posters here with no replies! I'll give this a swing.

I have invested in individual stocks for about 10 years, but everything I've read here an elsewhere (Jack Bogel), or like jlcollinsnh's famous stock series http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/ comes down to forgetting individual stock picking, and instead indexing. Which I am transiting to myself. So you might be asking this IPO question in the wrong place. I mean the Square could be a great IPO, or a crappy one, but the larger question is does this type of investment fit inside your larger plan for a financial future? Do you plan on beating the market, making individual decisions like this, over the next 10-30 years or whatever you timetable is? Don't get me wrong, I loved picking stocks, I spent huge time on it, and I will miss it. But the math is very clear, in the long run you loose.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 05:56:57 PM »
ipos have a track record of being at or below their opening a year later dont they? a few do well, but the majority dont from what i remember seeing somewhere.

better to bet against it than for it... or just use a broad index that includes it

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 09:05:14 PM »
you should check out joshuakennon.com. he talks a lot about long term stock picking, if that's what you're into.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!