Author Topic: should I buy an apple phone because of podcast availability?  (Read 6189 times)

econberkeley

• Stubble
I recently was sharing my list of podcasts I have with my friend. He has a Samsung phone and he could not find a quite a few of them in google play. Also, google play does not look as user friendly. Are you guys having the same issue with android phones? Were you able to find another way to listen to your favorite podcasts in your Samsung phone? Maybe RSS? I am planning to apply for the ATT phone to get the apple 7 or similar Samsung phone in couple of months so I am trying to find out if this would be major issue for someone who is a heavy podcast listener.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: should I buy an apple phone because of podcast availability?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:11:44 AM »
I didn't know podcasts were available in Google Play.  I downloaded a free app to listen to podcasts on my Android phone - PlayerFM. It works well enough for me, but there could be better ones out there.

I do miss using iTunes on my iPhone - it seemed a lot easier than what I have to do now.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 08:12:08 AM »
Heavy PC listener as well here.
I use a podcast separate from Google Play on my Samsung, no issues finding/adding podcasts.
Pocket Casts is the name of the app.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 08:14:04 AM »
AntennaPod can find Itunes podcasts.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 08:26:16 AM »
Google Play is largely equivalent to the app store, they sell media as well, but you're probably looking for an app that catches podcasts. Any free podcast on iTunes is free, everywhere.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 08:29:11 AM »
BeyondPod is another good podcast app for Androids.  I add by URL usually.

notactiveanymore

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 08:31:28 AM »
I use Podcast Addict and I've never had trouble finding anything.

I didn't even know google play had podcasts.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 02:00:34 AM »
Podcasts are available on pretty much every platform.  Your friend's problem was user error.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 10:17:38 AM »
I use Podcast Addict and I've never had trouble finding anything.

I didn't even know google play had podcasts.
+1
I also like this one because it's free and it has variable speet playback and a good user interface.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 02:59:44 AM »
Heavy PC listener as well here.
I use a podcast separate from Google Play on my Samsung, no issues finding/adding podcasts.
Pocket Casts is the name of the app.

Pocket Casts is the best that I have found. It's a couple of bucks but it is worth it IMO. Just add your favorite podcasts to your queue and you can set them to auto download the new podcasts when you are connected to WiFi and/or charging your phone.

This is the second thread in two different forums today that I have made that recommendation. The other person thought you had to use iTunes to listen to podcasts.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 03:15:48 AM »
Throwing out a vote for Podcast Republic on Android.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 06:13:43 AM »
As a long time Android phone user who is now using a (used) iPhone, there are plenty of reasons to switch. But podcasts aren't one of them, I agree with the above posters to just use another Android app to find them. 

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 08:33:45 AM »
+1 for Pocket Casts. Count me as another who didn't even know that Google Play linked to podcasts too. :)

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 09:23:51 AM »
Posting to follow. I'd like to listen to more podcasts on my android, but I'm pretty clueless. Sounds like there are several good apps out there for me to look into.

SV19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 09:53:14 AM »
One more vote for Pocket Cast. It makes my work life all that much easier since it downloads all new episodes automatically.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 11:13:11 AM »
I use PlayerFM, bf uses BeyondPod (which I usually manage on roadtrips). Never had trouble finding anything we wanted. Both have options to auto-download new episodes, download for offline playback, and create playlists.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 12:57:54 PM »
I use Podkicker. I don't have anything to compare it to since it's the only one I've ever used, but it was free, has unobtrusive ads that I barely notice, and it's simple to use. There are so many great podcasts out there these days! I love it!