Author Topic: Should I buy a motif?  (Read 4653 times)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Should I buy a motif?
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »
Motif investing has a get $150 if you buy $2000 worth of motifs and must buy at least 3 (cost $29.95).  It also costs that amount to sell plus $25 to transfer the cash.  Would you do it?  Have you done it? 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Should I buy a motif?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
It certainly is intriguing. 

I wouldn't, as it goes against my personal investing philosophy, but I can't say it isn't tempting.

ROG had a recent article with a good explanation for those who aren't familiar: http://rootofgood.com/motif-investing/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »
Thanks for the shout out arebelspy!

I'm thinking about opening up an account to get the bonus and for playing with funny money.  I might stick my random cash from craigslist sales, credit card bonuses, beer rebates, etc into motif and buy a dividend payer motif (or some other idea that might do well). 

They also offer some sweet looking commission free "asset allocation" portfolios that align with my general investing philosophy.  I'm not planning on switching the bulk of my assets over there though since I'm set up nicely at Fidelity and Vanguard already.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 07:12:21 PM »

I'm thinking about opening up an account to get the bonus and for playing with funny money.  I might stick my random cash from craigslist sales, credit card bonuses, beer rebates, etc into motif and buy a dividend payer motif (or some other idea that might do well). 

They also offer some sweet looking commission free "asset allocation" portfolios that align with my general investing philosophy.  I'm not planning on switching the bulk of my assets over there though since I'm set up nicely at Fidelity and Vanguard already.
I'm trying to figure out if I can get the bonus with the portfolio and what the minimum purchase is for that.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
Basics of $150 offer:
1. Open account
2. Fund with $2000
3. Buy or sell 5 motifs at the full $9.95 commission rate within 45 days of opening account
4. Get $150 within 75 days of opening account

Make sure you're applying through a link that has the $150 promo.  I checked the links through my summary (linked by arebelspy upthread) and they all land on the $150 promo. 

The terms and conditions from the $150 promo:
The cash bonus offer applies to new, approved Motif Investing brokerage accounts opened after 9/1/12 and funded with at least $2,000. The new funds must be posted to the account within 30 calendar days of account opening, and must remain in the account for 45 calendar days. The total bonus will be based on motif trades made within 45 calendar days of funding, as follows: 1 motif trade will receive $50; 3 motif trades will receive $75; 5 motif trades will receive $150. A motif trade is defined as a completed purchase or sale of a motif for $9.95 commission. Individual stock trades will not be considered as part of this offer. The cash bonus will be credited to the account within 30 calendar days after the end of the 45-calendar-day period.

If you wanted to game the system, you could buy-sell-buy-sell half-sell other half to hit the 5 buy/sell requirement at a total commission of $49.75 and net $100.25 after commissions. 

I don't think there is a $25 fee to transfer cash if you request a paper check (and presumably ACH transfers are free too given their focus on efficiency and high tech stuff).  Per the fees page:  Check Request by Regular Mail from Your Brokerage Account: No Charge. 

Caution: IRAs have a $95 closure fee and don't qualify for the $150 promo anyway ("This offer is not valid for retirement accounts, such as IRAs"). 

I don't think buying the asset allocation commission free motifs qualify for the $150 bonus either, as it needs to be $9.95 commission trades.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 09:26:22 PM »

Yeah, funny enough, yours was a blog that didn't interest me as much, but I've found your blog to be really good recently (over the past 3-6 months or so).  That "day off"/walking post you did recently (w/ the sub sandwich) was incredible.  I don't know if you've changed, or I have, but I do feel like you're really growing into an awesome writer. 

Now I'll have to go back and read old articles for what I missed.  Mea culpa.  :)

LMK when the book comes out.  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 08:03:06 AM »
Thanks, ARS!  I think I'm "finding my voice". 

I've also started to read novels like a chef eats a meal.  Tasting the complexity, trying to unravel what makes the dish so flavorful.  By paying attention to how the different words are mixed together, it's easy to make something special out of mundane ingredients as long as you add a little spice.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 08:06:07 AM »
That's a fun analogy.  I'll have to pass that onto the wife (English teacher).

And Steinbeck is a great choice for that.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 08:43:17 AM »
That's a fun analogy.  I'll have to pass that onto the wife (English teacher).

And Steinbeck is a great choice for that.

Steinbeck really is.  I'm maybe halfway through his works and still amazed at the turn of each page.  It's also interesting to watch his progression from an early author (circa Tortilla Flat) and later in life (Travels with Charlie and East of Eden).  Why is it all the good authors die young? 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!